What's the burn on this?

Options
Can you help me figure out the burn on this?
I shoveled wood chips from the back of the truck into a wheelbarrow over and over. I pushed the wheelbarrow around the yard and dumped the load. Repeat.

Duration of activity 60 minutes
I am 60 year old woman
weight 190 lbs
height 5'2"

Can't seem to find an accurate measure for the combined activities.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Just use 60 min of circuit training or aerobics or something active like that. Were you moving the whole time or did you take breaks?

This site calculates on your age and weight, so just log it in. This whole thing is an estimation, and you won't get exact numbers anyway. Call it about 400-500 cals.
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    Any breaks were under a minute long as my husband moved the chips closer to my end of the truck. It was smooth and steady , not rushing, just constantly moving. Felt like a solid workout with dripping sweat. Of course it's a sunny 82 degrees with no breeze and 50% humidity.

Thanks for the reply. I have never done a "circuit." Can I assume it means pretty constant movement over a period of time with a good heart rate?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Any breaks were under a minute long as my husband moved the chips closer to my end of the truck. It was smooth and steady , not rushing, just constantly moving. Felt like a solid workout with dripping sweat. Of course it's a sunny 82 degrees with no breeze and 50% humidity.

Thanks for the reply. I have never done a "circuit." Can I assume it means pretty constant movement over a period of time with a good heart rate?

Yes. Circuit training is just that. Constant movement from one activity to another, usually involving resistance, i.e. weights. So your wheelbarrow time and your shoveling time would be considered resistance training/type activity. Like I said, it's all an estimation here - or anywhere. People are going to tell you to use a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM). Not really necessary, nor helpful in this case, since you wer not doing aerobic activity where your heartrate would be in the aerobic zone for an extended period.

Don't get in to the mindset of trying to account for every single exercise calorie. It just isn't possible, even with a HRM. You'll make yourself crazy trying to do that. Figure an hour at 400-500 if you are really working hard the whole time. As you become more fit, that number will go down to 300 or so.