Eating Clean?!

Options
2»

Replies

• bobeena81
    bobeena81 Posts: 10
    Options
    Check out this article, do some other research, then make your own decisions.

http://jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating-is-a-scam-and-why-you-should-abandon-it/

Some people think that "eating clean" is the only way to go. It all depends on how you define "clean" really.

Great Article :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Check out this article, do some other research, then make your own decisions.

http://jcdfitness.com/2010/09/clean-eating-is-a-scam-and-why-you-should-abandon-it/

Some people think that "eating clean" is the only way to go. It all depends on how you define "clean" really.

I didn't read the article, I'll admit, because all I had to do was look at the URL. How on earth is clean eating a "scam"? I know there are a lot of books out there geared towards clean eating, but you don't have to buy any of them. I eat clean and I never bought a single thing to help me out. Since eating clean my stomach has leaned out and I feel so much better on a daily basis. Literally no one is benefiting from me eating clean but me. How is that a scam, again?

I do agree that it depends on how you define clean, though. I call myself a clean eater, but I do follow the 80/20 rule. Clean 80% of the time, "normal" 20% of the time. I've heard this is common for clean eaters. For example, I do buy whole wheat bread but it also has stuff I can't pronounce on the label. That's the best they have at my grocery store, and it's the best I can do right now. In my opinion it's better than nothing.

LOL! :laugh: I knew this would happen. Just read the article. He explains it a lot better than I can. But really, you can't use the excuse that there are a lot of books on the subject, there are a lot of infomercials on T.V. selling the "secret" to weight loss, or "you can go from 300lbs. to a six pack in 5 days" that doesn't mean it's true. Also you didn't "lean out" because you were eating clean, you leaned out because you ate at a deficit and lost fat. Like I told the OP, do some research, make your own decision on what you think is best.

Oh sorry the way I worded the books thing was weird. I wasn't trying to say that them selling books makes it credible at all, haha. I was trying to say that I could see how people could call it a "scam" since there are products for it, but you don't HAVE to buy the products so you don't have to get "scammed" at all.

As for the stomach thing, yes I ate at a deficit for months but my stomach was my problem area. I tried lifting heavy, all kinds of workouts and continued eating at a deficit, everything. I was still losing weight (slowly) but my stomach just wouldn't flatten out. Finally I switched to clean eating and now my stomach has flattened! I didn't change anything except for the kinds of foods I ate. I"m definitely not saying it's a solution for everyone but it worked for me. Could it be a coincidence? Possibly, but I got the results I wanted and I'm going to stick with it.

ETA: I read some of the article, not all of it because I'm not in a reading mood haha... but anyway from what I can tell is his point is to not get obsessed with it. I can agree with that. But, couldn't we say that for ANY form of changing lifestyles? For example, MFP. It would be very easy to become obsessed with counting calories and sadly a lot of people do. That doesn't make MFP invalid though. It's a great site that has helped a lot of people. Same thing with clean eating - if you do it your way and don't let it take over your whole life, it can be very beneficial.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I think it is good to find something that works for you, makes you feel good, and is sustainable.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My advice is to start small. It took me a while to transition into clean eating. Start with little changes, like replacing white rice with brown and regular bread with whole wheat, etc. Slowly start to incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet. Learn lots of new clean recipes. Finally, cut out the processed stuff. It's actually a lot easier than you'd think!

I agree. I started small too. Now 90 percent of my normal diet is clean eating. I usually reserve one day a week to eat crap (as I call it) so I can meet my mom or brothers for dinner or go out with friends without stressing over it.
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I read several books by Michael Pollan that made me more mindful about my food chioces. He has some good basic rules like "Don't eat food your grandmother (or great grand mother) wouldn't recognize" (gogurt, fat-free coolwhip, etc..) "don't eat anything with an ingredient you can't pronounce"
    I find this type of eating more satisfying. We have gone to pasture raised meat, chicken and eggs. I am enjoying the simple goodness of it. We are making an effort to eat all local produce which is easy in Oxnard.
    I enjoy spending more time preparing the meal,
    Breaking from diet sodas and sugar free jello with low-fat cottage cheese (though I still use the latter) was challenging but I have lost weight since making the changes.