Constipation

Options

Replies

• jskill88
    jskill88 Posts: 5
    Options
    When you first get up in the morning, drink six ounces of warm water with the juice of half a lemon squeezed into it, followed by 8 eight ounce of ice cold water. Do some gentle walking or exercise and this will help trigger a bowel movement if you are feeling constipated. Consume more water for regularity and I second the advice of eating an apple a day with the skin on. Apple pectin is great for avoiding constipation.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just take a metformin....but you have to be diabetic to get those. ;)

But I can also use Benefiber....dont like Metamucil.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    :
    Psyllium Husks!
    they scrape the insides of your intestines, and puff up your bowel moments and make you sing like an opera singer while you poo :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks

LOL this is the post of the year
    yes this as you can take it all the time as like maintenance add it to your juice daily drink straight away and then follow with a full glass of water fantastic its not a laxative just bulks up and moves things along :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree on Miralax. A doctor actually gave me a rx for the same stuff as Miralax, but in a powder form to add to drinks. I had tons of problems in the beginning, I'm assuming my body adjusting, but its gotten better the past couple months. Drink plenty of water and fats will also help. I think of it as greasing up the intestines lol
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husks!
    they scrape the insides of your intestines, and puff up your bowel moments and make you sing like an opera singer while you poo :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyllium_seed_husks
    LMAO reading this....i have a picture in my head now!!

LOL!! Now, that's some cr*p!! LOL
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    Before I started eating healthier, I would have to be near a bathroom everytime I ate. The last 7 months has gotten worse and worse for constipation. I do eat beans, I do drink water, I have tried flaxseeds and most of the other things recommended here. It has gotten to the point in the last couple of months that I take 3 stool softners Friday afternoon and usually by Saturday morning I have a bowel movement and lose a couple of pounds!!! ONCE a week for me WITH assistance ISN'T normal!! I have mentioned this to my doctor and he ignored me I guess because he didn't suggest anything. Hope you find something that works for you. Wish I would!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for a long time and everyone kept saying "you need more fiber" so I'd eat high fiber cereals and *it got worse*. When I finally got a great doctor she figured out I'm gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, and sensitive to casein in milk. So all that FiberOne cereal was NOT helping me, LOL!

Seriously, try to find the cause and address that rather than just treating the symptom with laxatives or something. Your body is indicating that there's a problem. It might be with your diet. It might be a thyroid problem. It's worth fixing it instead of masking it.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Avocados and beans make sure you drink plenty of water and get lots of exercise
  • stephvaile
    Options
    Get more exercise. If you're eating protein bars and shakes, they can be horribly constipating. Try cutting them out of your diet or eat half your current amount and see if that helps.
    when i went onto protein drinks and bars i was in a right state with constipation it was awfull never again i drink the odd protein drink or have the odd bar but not 2 or 3 a day i had to take senna and fibre gel for 3 days to get movement lol:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just found this on another online forum....

"Psyllium will produce easy bowel movements, sometimes with a loose stool, and it is used by patients with irritable bowel syndrome, anal fissures (cracks in the skin near the *kitten*) and hemorrhoids..."

Ok...so then it says...

"Psyllium soaks up a significant amount of water in the digestive tract, thereby making stool firmer and, under these circumstances, slower to pass..."

So...which is it? Easy and loose or slower and firmer?
  • frenchgrapes
    frenchgrapes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Smooth Move Tea before bedtime helped me out when I wasn't able to eat enough fiber to keep things moving normally. It comes in regular and chocolate and can be found in the fancy tea, or health food, or organic food section of your grocery store.

About 250 mg magnesium daily (in pill form) helps keep me regular now. I take it for multiple reasons. Too much and you'll have diarrhea.

You can also try pulverizing prunes to mix up in your smoothies/protein shakes or stir in some prunes made for use as baby food.

And, drink lots of non-caffeine, sugar free drinks.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I take a magnesium drink ever night before bed. This is a very gentle calming way of getting rid of waste and I am totally regular.

It also helps me sleep all night.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I make myself a mollasses coffee . Just take some black coffee and add a spoonful of molasses and creamer if you take it. If you don't do coffee it tastes ok in milk or milk substitute.
  • stephvaile
    Options
    Psyllium is quickly becoming one of the top recommendations for people using low-carb Atkins-style diets. It is very difficult to get enough fibre in a diet when you eliminate the carbohydrates in cereals, whole grains and fruits. Psyllium capsules are an easy way to take care of this problem. It fills you with fibre, reducing appetite without overstimulating the nervous system; a much healthier approach than formulas containing ephedra such as Herbalife or Metabolife.

Psyllium is the husk of the seed of the Plantain and is a top herb used in weight control and for general intestinal health. It contains a spongy fiber that reduces appetite, improves digestion and cleanses the system, making it an excellent choice for healthy dieting. Psyllium can provide the fiber that is missing on low carbohydrate diets. Every 100 grams of psyllium provides 71 grams of soluble fiber; a similar amount of oat bran would contain only 5 grams of soluble fiber. Only recently have scientists learned that soluble fiber has unique effects on metabolism. Just take one or two capsules with a glass of water or Yerba Mate diet tea, half hour before meals. The herb also provides a feeling of fullness that is helpful before meals. Psyllium is one of the simplest, healthiest and most effective herbs for weight control.

Psyllium has also been used for irritable bowel syndrome (a stress-related disorder with alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation). Because it will produce easy bowel movements with a loose stool, Psyllium is used by patients with anal fissures (cracks in the skin near the *kitten*) and hemorrhoids and is often recommended following anal or rectal surgery, during pregnancy and as a secondary treatment in certain types of diarrhea.

Psyllium soaks up a significant amount of water in the digestive tract, thereby making stool firmer and, under these circumstances, slower to pass. Psyllium also has the additional advantages over other sources of fiber of reducing flatulence and bloating. It may be recommended by a physician to help soften stool and reduce the pain associated with hemorrhoids.

In a study of people with ulcerative colitis (a type of inflammatory bowel disorder), psyllium seeds were as shown to be as effective as the prescription drug mesalamine in decreasing recurrences of the disease. In addition, a physician may recommend the use of psyllium as a bulking agent for mild to moderate cases of diarrhea from either ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease (another type of inflammatory bowel disorder).

Research reported in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concludes that the use of soluble-fiber cereals is an effective and well-tolerated part of a prudent diet for the treatment of mild to moderate Hypercholesterollaemia. Soluble fibers such as those in psyllium husk, guar gum, and oat bran have a cholesterol-lowering effect when added to a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet. Studies reported in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition have shown psyllium to be quite effective in lowering total as well as LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels, which can be helpful to those with high cholesterol and those at increased risk for developing hypercholesterolemia, such as people with type 2 diabetes.

Studies and clinical reports suggest that psyllium may enhance the sensation of fullness and reduce hunger cravings. For these reasons, incorporating psyllium and other sources of fiber into the diet may aid weight loss.

For those simply wishing to improve digestion and intestinal tract health, a single capsule per day is all that is neededc

Common Names: Sand Plantain, Flea Seed, Ispaghula, Psyllium Seed, Indian Plantago, Spog

Indicated for: Constipation, Diarrhea, High cholesterol, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Colon Cancer, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Haemorrhoids, Diabetes, Hypercholesterolemia and Obesity. Treatment of dysentery, catarrhal conditions of the genito-urinary tract, inflamed membranes of the intestinal canal etc. The oil in the seed embryo contains 50% linoleic acid and has been used as a preventative of atherosclerosisz
  • stephvaile
    Options
    I just found this on another online forum....

"Psyllium will produce easy bowel movements, sometimes with a loose stool, and it is used by patients with irritable bowel syndrome, anal fissures (cracks in the skin near the *kitten*) and hemorrhoids..."

Ok...so then it says...

"Psyllium soaks up a significant amount of water in the digestive tract, thereby making stool firmer and, under these circumstances, slower to pass..."

So...which is it? Easy and loose or slower and firmer?
    what it means is it produces a more formed softer stool (not loose like diorhea ) but easier to pass but it is slower coming thru the intestines
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sunsweet 60 cal Prune Pack daily before bed and some strong coffee in the morning, usually helps me out... My problem though isn't that I need a stool-softener, My bowels just seem to be lazy and not move anything
  • azlindsey
    azlindsey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with flaxseeds and Miralax. I have had these type of issues all my life and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed a day make me a normal person in that area. Totally TMI...
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    I hope you are still reading this far... I've had this problem associated with diverticulitis - Also I have 6 kids and each of them are different.... prunes/raisins actually constipate my daughter! Here's what I've found - NEVER EAT SOY! GET SOME PROBIOTICS INTO YOUR COLON-look for the "pearl" that will actually deliver the pro-bugs to your colon.
    Do not get addicted to the MIralax/SmoothMove Tea nonsense - If you have a chronic problem the solution needs to be a food! Try out the following as a meal/snack/ meal supplement: carrots-RAW , red bell pepper-RAW - eat the whole thing except for the stem parts and seeds, RAW leafy greens - spinach (fresh), bok choy, anything with a dark green leaf IN LARGE QUANTITIES (if I eat 2 cups of baby spinach leaves it is perfection).
    Good luck
    If none of my suggestions work, don't be discouraged - I really believe that everyone is different & what works for one person may not for another.
  • randomnennie
    randomnennie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has ever helped me be consistent is maintaining a good fiber supplement regimen.

I started out with taking one tbs daily of Metamucil for a week. Then upgraded to one tbs in the morning, one at night. Seriously - I go everyday now, no problem. No gas, bloating or anything :)

Edit : Oh! And be sure to drink the minimum of 8 glasses of water a day while doing this! Prevents the possibility of not being able to go
  • frenchgrapes
    frenchgrapes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hope you are still reading this far... I've had this problem associated with diverticulitis - Also I have 6 kids and each of them are different.... prunes/raisins actually constipate my daughter! Here's what I've found - NEVER EAT SOY! GET SOME PROBIOTICS INTO YOUR COLON-look for the "pearl" that will actually deliver the pro-bugs to your colon.
    Do not get addicted to the MIralax/SmoothMove Tea nonsense - If you have a chronic problem the solution needs to be a food! Try out the following as a meal/snack/ meal supplement: carrots-RAW , red bell pepper-RAW - eat the whole thing except for the stem parts and seeds, RAW leafy greens - spinach (fresh), bok choy, anything with a dark green leaf IN LARGE QUANTITIES (if I eat 2 cups of baby spinach leaves it is perfection).
    Good luck
    If none of my suggestions work, don't be discouraged - I really believe that everyone is different & what works for one person may not for another.

Just one of the reasons why I usually don't post in the forums on this message board. If it is working for some people, then it is no more nonsense than what is working for you.