WHEN DO YOU STOP YOUR HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• to_the_surface
    Options
    Why would i want/need to turn the HRM off during my work out??

If the idea is to limit the time of the workout session to the equivalent in minutes of a predefined number of calories burned i'd say it is backwards. If time is an issue It's more efficient finding workouts that will maximize calorie burn and minimize time.
    Weights and High intensity intervals are two examples

To get the best bang out of your exercise buck, during your workout think only about HRM (calories burned are a byproduct). Working out is training your body (heart included) to sustain stronger efforts and/or for longer periods of time (hence burn more calories). For longer/sustainable fitness improvement you need to mix length and intensity of workouts.

Workout Session = Turn HRM monitor on >> Warm up >> Main set >> Cool Down >> Turn HRM monitor off >> Stretch

Calorie calculator accuracy is an ongoing debate. Enough arguments to warrant at least skepticism about the accuracy of the numbers. Treat such numbers as "ballpark" figures, not as absolute values.

HRM on the other hand will show fitness progress: if exercising properly/following a schedule, over time you'll see your heart rate spiking less, your heart sustaining stronger efforts for longer periods of time, and your recovery times getting shorter.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I stop it when I'm done with the cool-down stretch.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Workout Session = Turn HRM monitor on >> Warm up >> Main set >> Cool Down >> Turn HRM monitor off >> Stretch

^^^this