Lunar Eclipse

Options
Is anyone else as amazingly stoked as I am about this? This is so rare... It has to happen on a full moon to be total. My friends and I are going to have a late-night picnic outside to watch it. I'm going to set my alarm for every 5 minutes so that I can get a picture of the moon and mark it's progress. It's supposed to happen from 7.30 to about 11.00 tomorrow night.Go look for it! It's supposed to be awesome. If people are interested, I'll post pictures on thursday!

Replies

• adelespears
    Options
    Is anyone else as amazingly stoked as I am about this? This is so rare... It has to happen on a full moon to be total. My friends and I are going to have a late-night picnic outside to watch it. I'm going to set my alarm for every 5 minutes so that I can get a picture of the moon and mark it's progress. It's supposed to happen from 7.30 to about 11.00 tomorrow night.Go look for it! It's supposed to be awesome. If people are interested, I'll post pictures on thursday!
  • Jump_Start
    Options
    ooh. do post pictures. I doubt I will be able to see it. I haven't seen the moon through these snow clouds in a while.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to it but unfortunately I live in WA state and it'll probably be cloudy and I can't see it anyway. :frown:
  • wackadoodle
    wackadoodle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had not heard about this but I will tell my husband, I dont think we will be able to see it here through the snow clouds in Michigan though. But its worth taking a look and he is into that kindof thing. Thanks for posting this.

Have a great day
    Peggy
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    I would love to see pictures! It's suppose to rain tonight so I don't know that we will get to see it either!
  • bksfbeauty
    Options
    Oh yes, I'd love to see pics as well. It is raining here in California so we won't be able to see the eclipse if the clouds don't clear by tonight.

:happy:
  • turkeygirl
    Options
    My son is excited that I am letting him stay up to see it.
    I live in NC and so far today we have had clear skies.
  • MiaEllie
    Options
    If it isn't raining or too cloudy here in Portland, my husband and I are going to Mt. Tabor park which has an elevation of over 600 feet to watch the eclipse. I love these kinds of things!

Several years ago, when we lived on the east cost there was a major meteor shower in the winter at 3:00 AM. We made homemade hot chocolate poured it into a big thermos, gathered some warm blankets and drove to a local park. We put the top down on the Miata and reclined the seats way back and bundled up with the blankets. It was awesome! A truly amazing sky show that we'll never forget!
  • maridale
    maridale Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think we are supposed to be able to see it where I live in Illinois. The big question is whether I can stay awake to see it!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    If it isn't raining or too cloudy here in Portland, my husband and I are going to Mt. Tabor park which has an elevation of over 600 feet to watch the eclipse. I love these kinds of things!

Several years ago, when we lived on the east cost there was a major meteor shower in the winter at 3:00 AM. We made homemade hot chocolate poured it into a big thermos, gathered some warm blankets and drove to a local park. We put the top down on the Miata and reclined the seats way back and bundled up with the blankets. It was awesome! A truly amazing sky show that we'll never forget!
    That sounds awesome! Wish we could do that!
  • adelespears
    Options
    I just saw that it's supposed to be cloudy as well, but you know texas weather... wait 5 minutes and it'll change, so cross your fingers for me! As long as I get a FEW good pictures in, I'll be happy.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I would love to watch it, but right now in VA it is cloudy with a mixed precipitation falling from the sky! I hope I can catch a glimpse later tonight!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My wife and I were just outside and watched it for about twenty minutes. Awesome!
    Cowboy
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I love living out in the country! Clear skies and a beautiful moon!!!! I was soo pumped to see it, I just wish we could have figured out my new camera a little better...just couldn't get it to focus:frown:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    we live on a little hill, far enough under the trees that it's hidden for now..
  • adelespears
    Options
    ): so sad. Couldn't see a thing. My friends and I had a fun time picnicking, but no moon to speak of, SO cloudy. If anyone has pictures, that'd be great!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I tried but didn't get a picture. Its clear here but to many trees blocking the moon.

Maybe someone will.

Have a great night everyone.
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just bicycled home from work and it was so neat to see the eclipse and all of the people watching and photographing it. I've never seen so many tripods, LOL!
  • Jump_Start
    Options
    I went outside after I got done with my track practice... it was crystal clear and the eclipse was absolutely gorgeous! When I went home I had a perfect view from my window. Sorry You couldn't take pictures of it like you wanted to.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    It was beautiful. My daughter (3years) was so excited about it. She was going crazy telling everybody that the moon in rojo. It was funny.
    It was cloudy here, but they moved just in time for us to see it. My 13 year old was so amazed by it. He is going to do an extra credit assignment for science on it.