Muscle Soreness Recovery

Options
2»

Replies

• LCgymnast
    Options
    Try taking either longer hot showers or baths. If you have a hot tub that helps to mostly because it will just relax your muscles so when you do stretch it feels a little bit better. That's awesome that you want to be pushed that hard. No pain no gain! Keep it up!
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Studies show that immediately cooling your body after working out can help with muscle soreness. After a hard workout I take a cold bath for 10 minutes, and then a normal temp (not too hot) shower. It helps a lot!
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    My favorite cheap recovery drink is chocolate milk after a workout (like within an hour after the workout). I've always been told you need a certain ratio of protein and carbs. Chocolate milk is good or even just mixing peanuts and m&ms. It really helps and I notice a difference if I don't do it.
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    Take a cold shower post workout and more than anything....learn to love the soreness.
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A lot of this is good advice (DEFINITELY have some protein after a workout - even a cup of Fage yogurt is good, it has tons of protein, and isn't too hard to choke down after a high-intensity session. Post-workout protein intake is essential in preventing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness!) Also, magnesium is necessary (to work with calcium) in keeping your muscles limber and flexible.

Make sure you are doing a decent warm-up before any kind of stretching (5 minutes of jumping jacks would work) to prevent further soreness or potential injury.

In addition, I suggest learning to embrace the soreness!
    If you look at it in a positive light (you are re-working your body to be a powerful machine!) then you will likely be too distracted by the awesome results to focus on the pain.

Keep up the hard work! It'll be worth it! ( =
  • Myth
    Myth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For the first time in all my years of working out although it has been about year since i have really been to the gym, my hubby has convinced me to drink a recovery drink, protien drink and creatine (sp).. The creatine i drink about an hr before the gym, it allows me to push/ last longer, The recovery drink is endurox r4 i drink it mixec in water during the work out, normally i die the next day of soreness now im just mildly sore its awsome and the protien is raw protien i i drink that right after the gym it i am mixing it now with chocolate almond milk but when that is gone i got 1% chocolate to mix it with because i read on another thread on mfp that it is great form of protien and already balanced correctly as far as protien to carb ratio.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I still have this "problem" after working with different trainers, too! My first trainer always suggested I load up on veggies and lean proteins after our more intense workouts, helps you get some nutrients back.

Stretching after your workouts will help, too! I have found that stretching post-workouts is more effective (for me) than pre-workout. You could also plan your workout schedule in accordance to your PT sessions. For instance, I tend to do lower intensity stuff the day after a session (going swimming, taking a yoga class, etc.).

A long hot shower definitely makes my muscles feel real good. If you're sore in specific places, you can always treat with ice packs, Icy Hot or even a heating pad.

Hope this helps!