She Laughed...

Options
My sister came to pick up my nieces from my home last Sunday (after a slumber party) ...she asked to see the pics I took of the girls, so I slipped the memory card and played it on the T.V and there was 1 of my recent pics I took of myself just standing still with a smile (it was the 1st time I had done a kick-boxing workout on netflix and I was super proud) ...my 35 year old sister just burst out with laughter...and asked "omg! what's that?!?!?!?!?! you're jenny Craig picture" ... I replied " nope! it's my before picture and soon i'll have an after pic with weight-loss progress" then she has the decency of telling me I should work harder because she doesn't see any difference and asks how long I've been working out for... It's been about a 1.5-2 months...and she's right...there is no difference...

I am 5'7 , 285lbs...what do you recommend I do ? I have been "watching what I eat" but will take all tips!

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Aside from getting a new sister, all I can advise is calculating your exact calories and burn using a heart rate monitor (food scales if you have issues with portion size wouldn't hurt) so you have a better idea of what you're burning versus what you're consuming.

If you're already doing all that, I got nothing, sorry!
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm sorry your sister is such an insecure jerk and feels the need to inflict that on you instead of being supportive as she should. (As one of three sisters, I am offended by her gross violation of The Sister Code.) That aside, here are some things I practice that may (or may not) help you:

.Second the suggestion on measuring/weighing... it is very possible your "2 TB" of peanut butter are actually more like 3.
    .I eat mostly healthy foods, but refuse to deny myself anything. The only rule is: it must be logged. Everything must be logged. This is a better deterrent than you might think.
    .I almost never buy "trigger foods" because if they are in the house, I know it's too easy for me to lose control. It's also easy to avoid the cookie and ice cream aisles.
    .When I'm hungry (truly hungry.. several years ago I quite literally had to learn what that feeling actually was. If you are a perpetual overeater like I was, you may just need to start there.) I try to go for protein first
    .I know that regardless of what I eat throughout the day, I am often going to want something sizable and satisfying in the evening. For that reason, and because eating fairly little from morning to evening doesn't bother me (I'm not diabetic or anything), I consume most of my calorie "allowance" after work. Get to know your own preferences and tendencies and adjust accordingly.
    .I almost always work out in the mornings for two reasons. 1- talking myself into doing it after work is too hard, and usually doesn't work. 2- when I log my workout early in the day, I tend to make better food choices. I didn't bust my butt for nothing, y'know?
    .I plan ahead. When eating out, I try to decide what I'll eat before I even go out, and if possible, log it first, too. I log almost everything before I actually eat it, which makes it much easier to stay within my goals.

Most of all, get to know and be very honest with yourself. What works for others is not necessarily what's going to work for you. Hope you're on your way to fat-loss soon! :drinker:
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Kick your sister in the teeth? Oh I'm sorry did I say that out loud?

Just keep at it.. your hard work will pay off!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You did not deserve that treatment. Often, people close to us cannot see the change because it is gradual. Seriously, the tips above are golden.

-Get an HRM and burn, burn, burn!
    -Eat
    -Get plenty of rest (lack of sleep can stall your progress)
    -Weigh and measure
    -Track everything that goes into your mouth

Pretty much what others have told you. Good luck in your journey--keep in mind that this is not a race to the finish line but a long term change in eating and exercise habits and it will take time. Have patience with yourself.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Wow, if one of my siblings did that they'd be picking their teeth up off the floor.

Lots and lots of water
    Measure all food, is too hard to estimate portions
    HRM for working out
    Eat as much unprocessed food as your can
    Consistency and patience are key
  • kcoburn327
    kcoburn327 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am so sorry she did that!
    I think it is great you took a before picture. It is the one thing I regret not doing.
    Second, WAY TO GO for doing the kickboxing routine.

My family has been really supportive but I have some co-workers who all of a sudden want to pick on me. It started when I started losing weight.
    At first it really got to me, but now I just ignore it.

Keep up the great work!
    Kelley
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh sisters! :noway: Sorry she was so insensitive!

I'd recommend aa good heart rate monitor like the others have said. Drink lots of water! Cut out a lot of processed food. Eat lean protein, veggies and a little fruit.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Oh! I'm so sorry about how your sister treated you! Congratulations on beginning to exercise. There are multiple rewards for that, not just better health and losing weight. My only advice to you is to begin tracking your food every meal, every bite, every day. You have to be really honest, otherwise the exercise will help, but it will be a very, very slow process. Once you track your food, decide waht you're eating that may be hindering your weight loss. I had to cut out soda, sweets, and some carbs. Not altogether, but for a while until I could get a handle on what my triggers were. I wish you luck in your life changes. Make lots of friends on MFP. Sometimes our families are not the right people to encourage us - too much history!!! None of my family (except my daughter) knows that I am doing this. I just tell them I'm eating better. Stay strong!!!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ugh...I'd get a new sister and the just keep at it. Changes are usually very gradual because we see ourselves everyday. Just keep tracking your foods and workouts and don't let her negativity get to you. Just think about the day you can laugh at her because of how good you look!
  • JustinM86
    JustinM86 Posts: 37
    Options
    First, your sister is ignorant. Second, you should be proud of what you're trying to achieve. Realize that there is a long road ahead of you. That doesn't mean you should look at it in a negative way. "Losing weight" or "getting fit" takes a great deal of time, dedication, and discomfort. Yes, discomfort. To illicit change in the body, you have to give it a REASON to change. This takes both time and effort.

What your sister fails to realize is that in order to see any true visual change in your physique, it is going to take a little while. Not weeks, but MONTHS! It is a gradual process (if done in a healthy manner). Keep that in mind as you make strides towards your goals. Take pride in knowing that what you are doing is difficult, but also invaluable and incredibly rewarding. Many people try, but far fewer actually succeed. Keep at it!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I am 5'7 , 285lbs...what do you recommend I do ? I have been "watching what I eat" but will take all tips!

I used to do this, "watch what I ate" and thought I was eating "better".

I wasn't.

I didn't know that until I started counting calories and macros and talked to a nutritionist.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry your sister acted in this most insensitive manner. NO one should make fun of what you are doing.

I agree with most of the posters on here:

*log everything you eat or drinik
    *check make sure you eating right size of portions for a serving
    *water, water and more water
    *heart rate monitors are so worth it (these calculators on here oare way high on the estimates)

and NEVER QUIT what you are doing!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    1) Drink a lot of water.
    2) Make sure you have some form of protein at every meal.
    3) Always choose fresh products over processed/packaged ones.
    4) Make sure to have vegetables (preferably the leafy/green kind) and fruits every day.
    5) Take body measurements. Sometimes the scale does not tell the whole story.
  • Panda_Warrior
    Options
    Thank you for all the support and great info! I will definitely do better in tracking what I eat. And exercising in the A.M :D