"Cheating"

linnebooc
linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it ok to have a day where you have one meal that is not necessarily within the "plan"?

Since I've started this eating change I've been keeping one day a week where I'll pick a meal that is REALLY unhealthy and go ahead and eat it. It usually stays within my calorie intake for the day but that is if I don't eat much else the rest of the day or exercise A LOT that day.

Is it ok to do this once a week or am I hurting myself?

Replies

• Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    i would skip to 1 meal each two or three weeks as unhealthy food is called that way because, well, it's unheathly
  • If this is something you've been doing for awhile and you've lost 25lbs so far I don't see a problem...if your weight loss slows down then I agree with saken that maybe you need to do your "treat" meal once every 2 or 3 weeks instead of once a week. Also with your treat meal pay attention to your portion size because you will probably still enjoy the meal even with less of the food. When I treat myself I try to get the smallest portion (sometimes that's not possible because the only size is BIG :laugh: ) and just eat that and I'm satisfied because I ate what I wanted and savored it all.
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 3,158 Member
    One day per week for starters I think is average. That's where I started at least. Some people have the discipline to do just 1 meal every 2-3weeks...but not me. Sticking to 1 cheat meal every 2 weeks would be a good message board challenge though. Heck, having a message board with 1 cheat meal per week would be a good idea too. I normally blow an entire day and then dwell (beat myself up kinda) for a couple days. But as long as you are continuing to make progress toward your goals with a 1day cheat then...that's what works for you...go ahead and do it.
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    My nutritionist actually wants me to eat unhealthy for one meal a week. Whatever and however much you want for ONE MEAL a week. It helps confuse your body, it will boost your metabolism into overdrive. So, I do not see a problem in that at all. Normally my cheat meal is Saturday evening for dinner. :bigsmile:
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Alright. That's what I thought. I've lost 25lbs. so far and only been doing this since the end of June so maybe I'm jump starting my metabolism.

I'll just make sure to pay attention to what my weight is doing and if it slows down I'll cut down the cheat meal to once every two weeks.

Right now it's my sanity break. The one meal I don't have to think too hard about. It's wonderful! lol:happy:
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    i do the same thing, i think it is important to let go once in a while. you only live once and it is important not to tell yourself you "cant" have something then you want it that more. letting yourself slip once in a while wil enable you to continue your healthy living style for alonger period of time. you are doing great keep up the good work!

remember that "weight" is not the goal here, but health is!!!
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    I tend to have 1 somewhat unhealthy meal (a lot of calories but not necessarily "bad") every few weeks. I try not to go over my calories when I do this. However, once in a while I will go over calories just so my body doesn't get used to what I do everyday.
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    remember that "weight" is not the goal here, but health is!!!

and i mean both emotionally and physically
  • I have a splurge day once a week. Typically my splurge day is Sunday- I work hard all week and then I have a few of the not so healhy foods I may have been craving earlier in the week. I use my splurge day not so much as a reward day but as a preventive measure. I've found if you don't have one day every week or so where allow yourself a LITTLE indulgence, later down the road it turns into a BIG indulgence. This will keep you on track with your healthy lifestyle-not diet. :flowerforyou:
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I find you can often find the things you find so unhealthy in healthier options for those indulgence meals. For example every once in a while I have tacos... yummm!!!! but I use extra lean ground turkey, low sodium taco seasoning from Presiden't choice (and really you can get away with just half the package for a whole pack of ground turkey and it still tastes phenominal), the tacos from president's choice are extremely low sodium and just watch the toppings... I usually use some lettuce and fat free sour cream.
    I can have 3 tacos and some plain veggies on the side ( I like cucumber) for just under 500 calories which I think is not bad at all for a cheat meal.

Oh and if you have left over meat afterwards it is faulous on shredded cabbage with a little bit of cheese for part of a meal the next day.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    I dont look at is as cheating, because this isnt a diet... it is my lifestyle, and I still have to live, albeit healtier than before.

I sometimes have a meal that is not as healthy as the ones I have began to get used to, but I dont PLAN them.

For me, planning on indulging is not good for me mentally.. its like I am giving myself an excuse to pig out or something. I will allow myself an indulgence occasionally, when the mood strikes me, so long as I have not had one in at least a week, usually longer. Just because i crave something on tuesday doesnt mean that come sunday I should eat it, because i craved it earlier... if I no longer crave it (which is usually the case, as cravings for me rarely last past a day or two) then why should I cheat myself out of all the hard work i have done....

but, with that said... there is nothing wrong with splurging on stuff you wouldnt normally eat once in awhile. You do have to live, afterall.
  • abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    On saturday and sunday, I make sure to eat items I like at fast food places but I do stay within my required calories. I also workout on the weekends so that helps. Otherwise, I don't follow the whole plan as set by MFP. I just follow allowed calories and I have done very well.
  • Shelley130
    Shelley130 Posts: 142
    One cheat meal a week. I weigh in on Wed. mornings so my cheat meal is Wed. night.
    One glorious Whopper with cheese sandwich with everything. :love: 700 calories of pure bliss.
    If my weight goes up a little from the sodium I still have 6 whole days before the next weigh in.

Of course I have only been dieting for three weeks so maybe as we get closer to goal we will have to reevaluate.

Good job on 25 pounds :flowerforyou:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    One thing for sure, ONE unhealthy meal a week is a lot better than 24!!

If that one meal keeps the rest healthy then it's worth it!
This discussion has been closed.