Gone to an adult "Fat Camp", Fitness, Weightloss Camp??

2»

Replies

• Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Go on a back packing trip.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Have you considered taking a two-week cruise, instead? You can find cruises specials for $100 dollars a day. Most cruises have full exercise rooms, plus several exercise classes a day. The onboard chefs are very accommodating to special food requests, so you could easily tailor your food to meet your calorie goals. The cruise would provide you with the get-away you need and let you just concentrate on yourself for a fraction of the cost. And with what you save, you could also indulge in massages and other utra-luxury items that aren't included in the Biggest Loser-type getaways.

You could probably visit some cruise forum sites and seek other people who want to do a weight-loss getaway cruise and find some people to travel with you.

There's also special weight loss cruises, but they can be as pricey as the "fat camps."

Just a thought.

:flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou:

I'm not the OP, but have been thinking about this myself and NEVER thought of this...I LOVE IT! Thanks so much for posting--you ROCK!!!!!! Woot!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Have you considered taking a two-week cruise, instead? You can find cruises specials for $100 dollars a day. Most cruises have full exercise rooms, plus several exercise classes a day. The onboard chefs are very accommodating to special food requests, so you could easily tailor your food to meet your calorie goals. The cruise would provide you with the get-away you need and let you just concentrate on yourself for a fraction of the cost. And with what you save, you could also indulge in massages and other utra-luxury items that aren't included in the Biggest Loser-type getaways.

You could probably visit some cruise forum sites and seek other people who want to do a weight-loss getaway cruise and find some people to travel with you.

There's also special weight loss cruises, but they can be as pricey as the "fat camps."

Just a thought.

Sign me up! Lol, I could use a cruise right now, especially a two week one. I think this post is right on. Go somewhere cheaper where you can bust your booty on your own, shredding up the gym, swimming, etc. Even if you didn't lose a ton of weight, you will still get some down time for yourself, and it sounds like that's what you need.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    i know this is an old thread, but it came up in my topics... in my last comment i had mentioned looking into Hilton Head Health.
    I went.
    IT WAS AWESOME.

certainly not cheap at about $3000 a week, but if i had the money, i would go every year. hell, i'd go back now and I was just there in September.

What can you get there that you cant get at home with the right resources... it's a great question. you get FOCUS. You get a dedicated amount of time to think about nothing but your health and your goals. you get the opportunity to establish good habits daily, all day, every day. Getting a trainer once a week at your local gym is great... if you have the will to get your *kitten* to the gym several more times that same week without the motivation of an appointment you paid for. Having a healthy dinner is great, but if you are struggling to do that at home regularly, well, 1 healthy meal a day isn't going to balance out 2 unhealthy meals and "bad" snacking. Or one great day isn't going to balance out a few days of being out of control. Forming new good habits take repetition, lots of repetition. Going to "fat camp" gives you that.

other things you may get out of it: imagine spending some time around people who ALL understand your struggle?
    imagine going into the pool, or the hot tub, and not feeling like "the fat girl". It was the first time I went swimming in at least 6 years. Imagine going to a fitness class, and not feeling like the only one who is as out of shape as you are? I KNOW that lots of us refuse to go to a gym because we feel like we don't belong there. You may still feel out of shape compared to many when you return home from a health retreat after a couple of weeks, but you will have the confidence to know you can get through a class, and its not going to kill you, and hey, you've been working your tail off and who cares if you're the slow one? you learn that its actually YOU who should be admired for showing up. It's easy (well easier) for the fit ones.

The two weeks I spent at Hilton Head Health were seriously some of the best of my adult life. I met great people, I learned a LOT about health and nutrition, and i learned that we really can do this.

I "only" lost 7 pounds in the 2 weeks I was there, but I had already been on a 1200-1300 calorie plan before i left and was already down 30 pounds in 3 months prior. So, that's actually pretty amazing. It's true, in 2 weeks at fat camp you aren't going to lose a lot of weight, or get toned. That isn't really what it's for. It's to help you learn and establish habits for a lifetime.

for the record, I don't work for or represent H3, I'm just someone whose life was changed by going there.

If anyone wants to know anything about it, feel free to message me.

I just want to comment about the cruise idea: i think if it is a health-related cruise that might be great but, most cruises have all-inclusive meals and drinking, so, you are going to be in a situation where there is amazing, high calorie food available to you all day, every day. I suspect that would be even harder to resist that the stuff in my fridge at home.

ETA: i've lost another 40+ pounds since my 2 weeks there
  • Beyond_Value
    Beyond_Value Posts: 46 Member
    Sometimes we do not lose the weight but we lose inches.

Has there been a difference in the fitting of your clothes?
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    i know this is an old thread, but it came up in my topics... in my last comment i had mentioned looking into Hilton Head Health.
    I went.
    IT WAS AWESOME.

certainly not cheap at about $3000 a week, but if i had the money, i would go every year. hell, i'd go back now and I was just there in September.

What can you get there that you cant get at home with the right resources... it's a great question. you get FOCUS. You get a dedicated amount of time to think about nothing but your health and your goals. you get the opportunity to establish good habits daily, all day, every day. Getting a trainer once a week at your local gym is great... if you have the will to get your *kitten* to the gym several more times that same week without the motivation of an appointment you paid for. Having a healthy dinner is great, but if you are struggling to do that at home regularly, well, 1 healthy meal a day isn't going to balance out 2 unhealthy meals and "bad" snacking. Or one great day isn't going to balance out a few days of being out of control. Forming new good habits take repetition, lots of repetition. Going to "fat camp" gives you that.

other things you may get out of it: imagine spending some time around people who ALL understand your struggle?
    imagine going into the pool, or the hot tub, and not feeling like "the fat girl". It was the first time I went swimming in at least 6 years. Imagine going to a fitness class, and not feeling like the only one who is as out of shape as you are? I KNOW that lots of us refuse to go to a gym because we feel like we don't belong there. You may still feel out of shape compared to many when you return home from a health retreat after a couple of weeks, but you will have the confidence to know you can get through a class, and its not going to kill you, and hey, you've been working your tail off and who cares if you're the slow one? you learn that its actually YOU who should be admired for showing up. It's easy (well easier) for the fit ones.

The two weeks I spent at Hilton Head Health were seriously some of the best of my adult life. I met great people, I learned a LOT about health and nutrition, and i learned that we really can do this.

I "only" lost 7 pounds in the 2 weeks I was there, but I had already been on a 1200-1300 calorie plan before i left and was already down 30 pounds in 3 months prior. So, that's actually pretty amazing. It's true, in 2 weeks at fat camp you aren't going to lose a lot of weight, or get toned. That isn't really what it's for. It's to help you learn and establish habits for a lifetime.

for the record, I don't work for or represent H3, I'm just someone whose life was changed by going there.

If anyone wants to know anything about it, feel free to message me.

I just want to comment about the cruise idea: i think if it is a health-related cruise that might be great but, most cruises have all-inclusive meals and drinking, so, you are going to be in a situation where there is amazing, high calorie food available to you all day, every day. I suspect that would be even harder to resist that the stuff in my fridge at home.

ETA: i've lost another 40+ pounds since my 2 weeks there

Super congrats on your success and thanks so much for replying--it's VERY encouraging! Sounds like your stay was somewhat of a "Sabbatical" of sorts...that's tremendous to me!