Easy Salad Dressing Recipes

Options
jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
One of the first packaged food I ditched was salad dressings. There are one or 2 packaged dressings I really like, but it is really easy to make your own.

Tools:
I like small glass jars. Like the ones that jams or sundae toppings come in. That size is perfect to make just enough dressing without having tons and tons of leftovers.

My general ratio is 1 part oil, 3 parts acid, and 1/2 part sweetener (with salt and pepper to taste). If this feels a little too acidic for you, add a little more oil. You don't need to go past 1 to 1 oil to acid to make a tasty dressing, even though classic recipes call for 2 parts oil, one part vinegar. I find that to be way too oily.

If I increased the amounts, I called it out, otherwise use the ratio above.

Mix and go dressings: just put the ingredients in a jar that seals well and shake it up
1. 1 part dijon or whole grain mustard, balsamic, red wine vinegar or lemon juice (or any combo of the 3), olive oil (plain or flavored), 1 part honey >>> this is you basic honey mustard type vinaigrette

2. 1 part dijon or whole grain mustard, balsamic, red wine vinegar or lemon juice (or any combo of the 3), olive oil (plain or flavored), 1 part stone fruit jam (plum, apricot, peach or cherry) >> this is what I like to think of as a fancy mustard vinaigrette. The stone fruits pair well with the mustard. Try this with pork or chicken. A great way to use up a corner of jam

3. 1 part berry jam, 1 part balsamic vinegar, 2 parts red wine vinegar or lemon juice, 1 part olive, grapeseed, avocado or walnut oil >>> this is very good with pork or a hearty fish like salmon

4. 2 parts lemon juice, 1 part orange juice, olive oil >>> this is perfect for a light salad, maybe with butter lettuce, apples, avocado and a white fish or shrimp

5. 1 part soy sauce, 2 parts rice wine vinegar, 1 part lime juice, optional: 1 part ginger juice or 1 teaspoon of chopped ginger, neutral oil (walnut or grapeseed) or sesame oil or chili oil >>> try this with chicken, fish or beef or soba noodles and veggies

Dressings that require a little chopping: you can shake these or blend them for a smoother texture
Have more time? Add some finely minced garlic or onion to any of the dressings above. let it sit for at least 2 minutes before serving

Have lots of time? Chop some fresh herbs and add to your dressing. Or blend the dressings with the herbs and garlic or onion.

Dressing 1-4: try parsley or tarragon or thyme
Dressing 2-4: try basil or mint
Dressing 4-5: try cilantro
Dressing 5: blend in ginger and thai basil

Any of the dressings: add citrus zest

Feeling really adventurous?
Dressing 4: Add a 1 more part of orange juice, 1/4 teaspoon of cumin and add it to a salad of carrots and fresh mint for something sort of Moroccan.

Happy experimenting with your dressings. You can try different sweeteners. I stick with the liquids because they blend faster. Also, try different vinegars and oils too. I usually have a few flavored balsamic vinegars, red wine, champagne, apple cider and rice vinegar. I love lemon flavored olive oil, and I use this one for dressings all the time. Also, with flavored vinegars and oils, you can't go wrong dressing your salad with oil, vinegar and salt and pepper.

Replies