Weight Loss On The Implanon?

Options
Hi everyone, I have the infamous weight gaining contraceptive Implanon in my arm and I’m having a hard time losing weight. I’m exercising seven days a week, have cut out almost all treats and am staying under 2000 kcal’s every day to no avail. I’m 5”2 and have been a size 8/10 my whole life, I have recently shot up to a size 12 (9 stone 12) and I feel awful. Has anyone else had any experience with this and am I completely wasting my time trying to lose weight whilst on the implant? :-(

Replies

• blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hey Hun,

I was on Implanon for about 6 months and in that time I gained nearly 3 stone... combined with a B*tch of a temper lol, I had it taken out after 6 months because it just sent my hormones mental and I was acting like a total fruit loop

It didn't work well with my body I guess but everyone is different. They take a good while to settle in, how long have you had it?
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    I have the implanon and do not have trouble losing weight. The progesterone in it can be an appetite stimulant, so if you are not very careful with your diet and activity level that that will cause you to retain the weight. It does not change your metabolism, therefore can not cause you to gain weight for no reason.

If you are 5'2" have you tried to eat 1300-1500cals per day, 2000 may be too high for you.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hey, ive had the implanon for 3 years and I've lost nearly 3 stone! Everyone is different but if your implant is progesterone based you shouldnt be getting weight gain. X
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    I have been on Implanon for almost 2 years, and between July 2010 and November 2011, I gained about 40 pounds, going from about 120 to about 160. Then I started an antidepressant, and was on that for 6 months. In the first two months, (November to January) I gained 30 pounds.

Girls - Drugs. Are. Bad.
  • NikkiCoug
    NikkiCoug Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey ladies I’ve been keeping my calories around 1200, I’m glad that it sounds like maybe I won’t have to have it removed. This is my second Implanon so I’ve had one in for about 4 years, and aside from the weight gain everything else has been fantastic with it so I’d rather not have it removed if I don’t have to. I’m going on a sun holiday in August and I’m a tad worried about not being able to shift 2lb’s a week for then :-/ xx
  • emaleighheidi
    Options
    I am getting my First Implanon out tomorrow morning at ten. I am ****ting it! I am getting another one put straight back in, I hope everything goes okay. I cant remember if I lost or gained weight from my implanon. I am 5ft6 and weight 112lbs. I originally thought I had lost weight while on the Implanon, but I was on the pill beforehand so now I confused whether I have gained or not. I was thinking about taking a break for maybe 3 months to see how my body reacts. :/
    Does anyone else think they have lost weight?
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I hate this thing! I've had it over a year and a half and pretty much bleed nonstop. As far gaining weight I didn't notice, but it does feel a little harder to lose.
  • starjumper12
    Options
    people react differently to different hormones depending on the make up of your own body. for some people progesterone causes them to gain weight, other people it causes them to lose weight - the same thing with estrogen. you can't say hormones don't affect your metabolism when your metabolism is controlled by nothing more than hormones.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've had my implanon for about a year, and I don't think it affects my weight loss at all.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It hasn't affected my weight loss :) Although I'm getting the little hell-rod removed asap.
  • mimegan18
    Options
    Hi girls,

I have had implanon in for 8 months now, had 10 days bleed at time of insertion and then nothing for 8 months.
    In the last 8 weeks i have lost 8kgs in weight which im so happy over.
    PROBLEM- I have just started in the last couple days, spotting quiet heavy, dark brown n clotty (bit gross, sorry)
    Is this because of the weightloss????
    I'm going to my doctor on Tuesday so hopefully i can get sum answers.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    It hasn't affected my weight loss :) Although I'm getting the little hell-rod removed asap.

Lol! I called mine a devil stick so this made me laugh. I got mine out two Mondays ago and I'm so glad I finally did. No spontaneous bleeding since. I'm on the pill now and my weight loss has stalled.. hoping things smooth out soon. As for the spotting that sounds to be very old blood which makes sense given no period in 8 months. If you're not in pain I guess I wouldn't worry. Implanon is famous for that.
  • Shannonigans84
    Options
    To update, it's been two months post implanon, and I have a regular, predictable cycle again, hooray! Downside is I'm having a hard time losing any weight now. Quite frustrating to put in all that work and get no results.
  • karimah_jamila
    karimah_jamila Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never associated my weight gain with my Implanon. I hope that doesn't become an issue for me, it's only been five months.
  • helyla
    helyla Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely having a harder time losing the weight this time around now that I have the Implanon. I'm not sure if my weight gain was from it but I seemed to balloon up pretty shortly after I got it in and didn't really change my eating habits. IDK. In any case I've lost weight pretty easily in the past and now it's extremely difficult. Glad to know I'm not alone in this.
  • caburkhardt
    caburkhardt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My body generally LOVES to stay exactly the same weight (no yo-yo-ing here!), which is nice since it takes a bit for me to gain weight, but makes it almost impossible to lose. I had plateaued about 10 pounds heavier than my goal weight for the past year. I got the Implanon put in three weeks ago and have already lost 3.8 pounds (which, to put it in perspective, it took me almost a YEAR to use 5 pounds). I have not changed my exercise or eating habits, but feel have experienced less bloating and less muscle aches than with oral contraceptives or even without any form of hormone contraception at all. From what I've read, it really just depends on how YOUR body responds to the thing! Good luck!
  • Apotter212
    Options
    I am also on the Implanon and find it EXTREMLEY difficult to lose weight, ive given up a few times but am really really gona try this time. Ive been on it for 2.5 years and have put on about 40 pounds. I dont want to stop using this but I need something to change! never thought about implanon being an issue until a co worker brought it up! I am 5'6 about 220lbs :( and eat about 1100 calories a day. I go to the gym about 4-5 times a week.
  • kenzieshaylee
    Options
    I have had my implanon in for about a year and a half. The first 6-8 months I didn't notice anything besides a much lighther and practically nonexistant period. Once I hit the one year mark after having it put in I noticed my clothes were either shrinking or I was getting bigger. We didn't own a scale up until this point but sure enough I had gained 30lbs since the last time I weighed in at the doctor back in the fall. My doctor ran some tests to see if it was something else but I go back in a few weeks to get the results before she decides if its the implant. My bets are that it is because I have been on a mostly plant based diet since finding out the amount of weight gain and haven't left 180 for longer than a day. My weight prior to this was very steady and never really went up or down. I hope this helps!
  • amiaow
    amiaow Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had Implanon for 11 years and it never affected my ability to gain or lose weight. I'd look to other reasons before you blame Implanon.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I had Implanon for 11 years and it never affected my ability to gain or lose weight. I'd look to other reasons before you blame Implanon.

I agree. I had it for 20 months and in that time I lost 93lbs (6st 9lbs). I'd make sure you are calculating food and exercise calories accurately and recalculate your TDEE.