Can I lose stomach fat without watching my macros?

Options
2»

Replies

• KellyUK1987
    Options
    The MFP app tells me my goals are:

Fat 62g
    Carbs 256g
    Protein 70g

So should I be eating that much of each per day, as well as exercising to come under my calories (but so they are not under 1400).
    And that would help me lose weight faster, whilst building muscles. And eating less means Id lose weight slower?

Just to clarify, as I'm totally new haha!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The MFP app tells me my goals are:

Fat 62g
    Carbs 256g
    Protein 70g

So should I be eating that much of each per day, as well as exercising to come under my calories (but so they are not under 1400).
    And that would help me lose weight faster, whilst building muscles. And eating less means Id lose weight slower?

Just to clarify, as I'm totally new haha!
    What deficit do you have set? 2lbs/week?
    You should try to hit those numbers as close as possible, and you probably don't need to come under your calories. MFP sets a deficit of 500 calories per day per lb weight loss a week, so if you've set it to 2lbs/week you're already at 1000 calorie deficit. Anything more than 1000 calories is not going to accelerate FAT loss, but will likely be dipping in to your lean muscle stores, which is bad. So you might lose weight faster if you come in under your calories, but it won't necessarily be fat you're losing.

If I were you I would bump up the protein allowance to be 1g/LBM- if you don't know what your LBM is, 100g protein is probably a good place to start for women, to minimize muscle loss.
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    It's set at 500. With 1lbs per week.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's set at 500. With 1lbs per week.
    Glad to hear it! 1lb/week is generally much more sustainable long term. With a 500 cal deficit, you can come in under if you want without too much risk (as long as its not WAY under) but you don't NEED to come in under to meet your goals.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You can see your macros on the phone app, if you go to the Daily Tab at the top.

^This. I look at my macros on my iphone all the time.

The only thing I really track is protein. I usually eat around 90-100g of protein a day.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    To the vegetarians who can't get enough protein: I eat VERY low meat (as in maybe once every few weeks or so if at all) and get plenty of the stuff without supplements. There are lots of options out there! Tofu, Seitan, store-bought meat alternatives, etc.

OP- I've found that macros have helped me keep a balanced diet, which will eventually lead to loss of belly fat. Eventually. *glares at own belly fat*