Weight increase, waist size going down, hips staying same...

Options
OK... I'm no novice to all this and I know fundamentals such as muscle is more dense than fat... However, I know that even the most hardcore of bodybuilders wouldn't gain "muscle" THAT quickly!

However, in a week, I've noticed the scales go up by 7lbs, but my waist shrink an inch, hips stayed the same... what on EARTH is going on?

Calories, generally keeping down by 500-1000 after exercise /day (on a 500 automatic deficit set to sedentary and log all activity in after that - tracked using a polar RS300X HRM). Workouts typically last 60-90mins of steady state cardio with some calisthenics and about 30-90 mins brisk walking a day (for work...I live on a military camp and don't drive around camp). Fluid normal, not been ill in ages.... HELP! My BMI seems to be rising and its annoying!

I'm 174,5cm (about 5' 8.5") tall and checked in at 11st 9lbs the other day on the scales!

On top of that, my 1500m run time DECREASED by 12 seconds... so I'm getting faster (didi it in 5'58").

Impedance scales have given me variable readings ranging from 15% BF to 27% BF with a common reading of 16%... This SOOOO cannot be accurate!

If you're guessing with an answer, please refrain from responding with unfounded info as looking for genuine possibilities! If that makes sense! Ta!

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    "Bump" to read later.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to bump your own threads, do you?
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Weight is no real indicator of fitness,
    lets say its just one guide, but thats all.
    You can have above 1 kilo swing on weight just over the weekend, so you have to do the best to weigh yourself at the same time and in the same gear.
    Even 2 makes of trainers make a difference.
    You sound fit and active already, military types usually are, legs are a big part of the body, if you have been doing alot of leg work and you have made improvements in your 1500 m run, so am thinking you may of added some muscle there. That may b where some of the weight has come from.

Impedance scales are unreliable, or should we say, user error. ...

reread your post -
    Bmi is not a scale I would ever use, it takes no account of muscle mass, bone density etc, height x weight,,, no, we are all different.
    I was in the army for 12 years and carried my fair share of weight in packs, worked cutting metal after that, have done loads of physical jobs, am guessing my body is built from the skeleton upwards different to someone who has only ever moved a biro across a page...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's called water retention.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I doubt it is water retention because I don't have any of the associated bloating and since it shot up about 2 weeks ago, its stayed at that level, barely dropping down by 2lbs at the end of a workout when I'm at my least hydrated state...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    So let me see if I understand. Weight has gone up and BMI (a tottaly crud indicator) has gone up. Inches have gone down and atheletic performance has gone up? Do I I have it right?

Now what is the problem again...........?

ETA: I went back to your profile and looked at your pictures. I see a lovely, lean, atheletic, beautiful young woman. I wouldn't change a thing! Were I an single man and 30 years younger, I be doing my best to chat you up!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I never really addressed the weight gain. I agree with Tiger that it is likely water retention but not in the usual sense that would cause bloating. If you've changed, increased or upped the intensity recently, your muscle cells could be retaining water and glycogen. Any recent changes?
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    In short.. the scales lie. BF scales depend on a lot of things 1. how much water you are retaining 2. the time since last meal 3. time of day. 4. whether or not you have an empty bladder. I know from my BF monitor, it varies with time of day, how close to my last meal, and whether I have an empty bladder.

Weight can naturally vary as much as 5lb day to day, so there isn't anything to worry about. If your waist is decreasing, then you MUST be gaining lean muscle.