Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    This week I'm addicted to sliced jicama - with a dab of hot sauce
  • bahsukh
    bahsukh Posts: 19
    Options
    How many ounces of baby carrots are ok? Are theyhigh in carbs?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Jicama is a round veggie that looks kind of like a a rutubaga or a jerusalum artichoke. You peel it and have this light orange thing with a texture somewhere the cross between a carrot and very crisp raw pineapple.

It makes an excellent substitute for water chestnut if you can't get it fresh and want it in Chinese cooking.

You can make jicama slaw or sprinkle it on a salad. I really like it with balsamic vinegar or a vinagrette. Like someone else said, it's good dipped in hot sauce (everything is good in hot sauce).

You can actually slice it very thin, put it on a freeze dryer, and eat it like potato chips without the salt or fat.

You can just eat it like carrot sticks.

If you look it up, you'll find lots of recipes.
  • sexybebe2012
    Options
    I'm off to the grocery store. I want to try it now. Are there any veggies that aren't so great to eat when trying to lose weight? I love potatoes but I've always heard not to eat them unless you want to get fat. Hmmm...I might have answered my own question. Lol..I was eating tons of potatoes and look at me now.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You could try fennel (or as some call it, anise). Tastes like mild black licorice (which I LOVE).

Fennel and anise are not the same thing.