Pedometer Watch vs Heart Rate Monitor Watch

Options
sjmay
sjmay Posts: 386 Member
I was just checking out heart rate monitors at a local store, when I noticed that they also have pedometer watches that track your distance, speed, claories, etc.

I am just wondering if anyone has one of these or what you think of your heart rate monitor?

I am just trying to get some advice before I make a purchase.....

Thank you!

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it depends on what you want to use one for. Pedometers are far more specialized towards walking than a Heart rate monitor. HRM's are more for general exercise of any type, but most won't tell you how many steps you take. Although some of the better ones do have specialized applications for whatever sport you prefer. Polar has a great array of HRM's for any and all athletes. Go to www.polarusa.com to see them all (but don't order from there, you can get them cheaper at amazon or ebay).
  • sjmay
    Options
    Majority of the time I walk or run. But not always, and being that I live in Canada, I am not quite sure what I will be doing for exercise this winter.

The main thing that I want to do is get something that will give me an accurate reading on calories burned, just so I know.
  • sjmay
    Options
    it depends on what you want to use one for. Pedometers are far more specialized towards walking than a Heart rate monitor. HRM's are more for general exercise of any type, but most won't tell you how many steps you take. Although some of the better ones do have specialized applications for whatever sport you prefer. Polar has a great array of HRM's for any and all athletes. Go to www.polarusa.com to see them all (but don't order from there, you can get them cheaper at amazon or ebay).

I have read on here, many times, how much people love their polars. Do you use one as well?