Ok to go over on protein or/and fats?

Options
3ofmine
3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
Some days when I look back at the day I see that I will have -1 or -25 on my protein for the day and I'm wondering if this is ok? I have had a couple days(where I ate like crap) and went over on carbs or fat counts for the day and I know it's not good to go over on those but is it just as bad to go over on my protein? How much over is ok?

Angel

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Some days when I look back at the day I see that I will have -1 or -25 on my protein for the day and I'm wondering if this is ok? I have had a couple days(where I ate like crap) and went over on carbs or fat counts for the day and I know it's not good to go over on those but is it just as bad to go over on my protein? How much over is ok?

Angel

MFP's protein goals are ridiculously low. Better to set your macro goals manually for .75g/lb of body weight (higher is ok as well...I eat 1g/lb of body weight). Hydrate well. Fat, shoot for .35g/lb of bodyweight. The rest of your calories can be made up of whatever you like, fat, protein, or carbs.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Depends on your program I guess. I low carb so I'm always ok with going over there. If you are just watching cals, I for sure wouldn't worry about going over on protein, especially.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You can set MFP to your own objectives; for instance mine is 20% carb, 50% fat, 30% protein. For me this has worked both for weight loss and feeling a lot healthier. Depends on your goals. There's an article in Women's World magazine about eating this way http://paleoparents.com/featured/paleo-womens-world-magazine/
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Angel

MFP's protein goals are ridiculously low. Better to set your macro goals manually for .75g/lb of body weight (higher is ok as well...I eat 1g/lb of body weight). Hydrate well. Fat, shoot for .35g/lb of bodyweight. The rest of your calories can be made up of whatever you like, fat, protein, or carbs.

Thank you all taht is a BIG help. I didn't think to much protein was a bad thing but I wasn't sure either..^ that was a HUGE HELP. As I'm just watching my calories and sodium intake.
    Angel
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Angel

^^totally this (assuming no pre-existing medical conditions).
  • drotarthebarbarian
    drotarthebarbarian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tend to aim a little higher on both the protein and fiber. I use the pie chart pretty much daily every night and aim for 25%ish on the protein.

Also, tip I recieved from a VERY healthy friend was to aim for a one to one ratio for potassium & sodium. I'm never on the nose, but I'm not retaining water & I'm pretty sodium sensitive. Hope that helps!
  • niciemetts
    niciemetts Posts: 49
    Options
    i would say i would rather go over on protein and fiber than over on carbs.............i take in less than 100 carbs a day..........depending on what i eat usually between 40-70...........burn 300-400 calories a day.........i don't like that draggy feeling you get from eating too much carbs...............
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You can set MFP to your own objectives; for instance mine is 20% carb, 50% fat, 30% protein. For me this has worked both for weight loss and feeling a lot healthier. Depends on your goals. There's an article in Women's World magazine about eating this way http://paleoparents.com/featured/paleo-womens-world-magazine/

How do you manage to keep carbs at 20%, I have tried to but I can't manage to bring it to below 50%. I want to low carb too.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

How do you manage to keep carbs at 20%, I have tried to but I can't manage to bring it to below 50%. I want to low carb too.

The carbs I eat are vegetables and some fruit; no grains, beans or dairy (these upset my stomach & bloat my gut ... TMI). Vegetables have lots of nutrients and most are low carb. Potato bit of an exception to that but have maybe once a week. Also means no packaged/prepared foods which reduces sugar/sweetener <=this usually means lots of carbs so I watch for it on labels.
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am on a medically supervised diet and range between 800-1200 calories per day.
    I match my protein 10 calories to 1 protein, because it keeps you full and keeps your energy up, as per doctors orders.

I normally have 120 grams of protein each day and I keep my carbs between 70-100 as long as it is below 100 for the day.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It's fine to go over on ANY of them as long as you're not doing it consistently. So if you're consistently eating too many carbs, you should maybe reevaluate your diet, but if it's just once in a while, it's not big deal.

I do feel the MFP protein default is a little low, so you're probably fine.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You have to do what's best for you! Some people can really see a difference if they go over fats/protein and some don't. I have never seen a difference in my results if I go over in those areas. I would go crazy if I tried to stay within all of the goals, that gets complicated to tract. In fact, I don't even have my diary set to view anything other than calories because as long as I stay within my goal, I continue to lose, regardless of if I am over or not in other areas.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    generally, IMO, it's okay to go over on protein, MFP has low protein settings for everyone