what the hell am i doing wrong.

Options
today i found im back up to 148lbs

i stick almost to my 1200 cals

i walk, aerobics, swim and do some light weight stuff.

i eat back my fitness cals when i have very hungry moments but i dont eat them all.

i have medical conditions which is the cause of me being less active over the last couple years but i have been really pushing myself coz i know the food side of trying to loose pounds is only the half of it. you need to burn off to get any real results. but i dont see any results, i see me backsliding and i dont know why

Replies

• Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Check your sodium. Are you drinking enough water? I haven't looked at your food choices but all calories are not created equal. Usually when I have a gain because I ate out or was on vacation I just drink a lot of water and green tea and eat half my exercise calories back and am back to normal in 2 days.
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    Maybe it's because I'm a crazy measuring person, but peeked at your diary and I wonder if your measuring is off?

I took a look at your food diary and a few discrepancies stood out to me. They aren't big things (and quite possibly you are measuring exactly precisely and this isn't the issue at all) but here's what I spotted...
    - 1 tsp of margerine on an ear of corn? I know I'd use at LEAST a tablespoon.
    - Fried onions with no fat? Seems odd to me.
    - sometimes you record ketchup etc. on your hotdogs and sometimes you don't, is it possible that you're forgetting things?

Also, to be a bit blunt (and I'm sorry this is going to come off judgemental) but your diet seems to be lacking in vegetables. On most days of the last week it seems like you're getting 1 serving a day of veggies, sometimes less than that. Maybe if you changed up your diet to rely more on greens and less on protein and sugar you'd see a change?
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary.... and very easy to see several things that are issues... 20-25 % of your daily calories is beverages of various types.... absolutely no nutrition and a ton of sugar, you skipped breakfast too many days (never a good thing), rarely ate enough (so your body is hanging onto every calorie it can, thinking it is going to starve) and I also suggest you track your sodium (some days you would be high). I didn't look at your water, do you drink 8-10 glasses of plain( or flavored ) water a day.... pop, tea etc really doesn't count in this. Oh, and, many days you had a 200-300 calorie treat (nothing wrong with treats) but when you consider 300-400 calories are beverages and 200-300 are treats... it is a bad combination.
    Cut back to 1 treat a day, if you must have a coke, that should be your only treat, increase your water, increase your fruits and vegies, increase your calories, increase your whole grains and protein.... this should help.
  • gsurface28
    gsurface28 Posts: 16
    Options
    Increase your fruits & vege's while you decrease the calorie filled drinks. I didn't see water listed.. I would recommend 8 -10 glasses a day too! I also agree - don't skip breakfast - have a greek yogurt with fresh raspberries or blueberries - easy to eat on the go! And keep trying - You have taken the first step :smile:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, but I'd be terribly hungry if I ate like you! My suggestions... more beverages, unless you're drinking water that you aren't counting? Try to drink at least 8 cups or 64 ounces of liquid per day. And drink fewer calories. If you need ideas for low and no calorie drinks, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761. I'd also add fiber. For me, I'm learning that the fiber is critical, and I do better when I go over the MFP recommended amount. More fresh fruit and vegetables would increase the nutritional value of your food as well as adding fiber and probably making you feel less hungry. Your mileage may vary. :smile:

Good luck!
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, I peeked at your diary and to be quite honest, its awful!!!!!

You could eat 1200 cals on cheese burgers, but that doesn't meant you should.

If you really are serious about this, you need to switch to a much more healthier way of eating, lots more fruit and veggies, lean meats (not hot dogs), and a lot less sugar

I hate to sound harsh, but I really cannot understand how you can be so bold to ask what the hell you are doing wrong???? seriously????
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary.... and very easy to see several things that are issues... 20-25 % of your daily calories is beverages of various types.... absolutely no nutrition and a ton of sugar, you skipped breakfast too many days (never a good thing), rarely ate enough (so your body is hanging onto every calorie it can, thinking it is going to starve) and I also suggest you track your sodium (some days you would be high). I didn't look at your water, do you drink 8-10 glasses of plain( or flavored ) water a day.... pop, tea etc really doesn't count in this. Oh, and, many days you had a 200-300 calorie treat (nothing wrong with treats) but when you consider 300-400 calories are beverages and 200-300 are treats... it is a bad combination.
    Cut back to 1 treat a day, if you must have a coke, that should be your only treat, increase your water, increase your fruits and vegies, increase your calories, increase your whole grains and protein.... this should help.

I agree. At least half of your calories are from snacks and drinks. Not to mention the sausages. You need to eat 1200 calories of nutritious foods. Make a solid effort to eat breakfast lunch and dinner. You can squeeze two snacks but make them healthy.

Try food like yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, fruit, toast w/ peanut butter, cottage cheese for breakfast. Try beef, chicken or fish with vegetables or salad for lunch and dinner. Healthy snacks can be fruit, cheese, cut fresh vegetables.

Feel free to look at my diary for suggestions.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If i was to make an observation about your diary....too many carbs.

I used to drink Coke, too....not any more.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You are eating a lot of processed, salty things that are probably causing you to retain a lot of water weight. Add raw fruit and veggies to your diet. Stop drinking the cola, try just drinking water for a while. You should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

While some folks say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you eat at your calorie goal, for me this has not proven to be true. I eat 1400-1700 calories of mostly junk, my weight increases or stays the same. I eat 1400-1700 calories of mostly wholesome, natural foods including lots of raw fruit and veggies, my weight decreases. Some bodies just can't handle the salt and grease and yuckiness very well.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast..... and don't go over 150 carbs...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

This is so funny to me. A tablespoon of margarine seems like total overkill on a cob of corn. A teaspoon is about what I would use. Doesn't seem strange to me at all. I do agree that the logging seems haphazard, though.

OP, definately get a scale and weigh and measure everything. Most people who estimate portions get it way wrong!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options

This is so funny to me. A tablespoon of margarine seems like total overkill on a cob of corn. A teaspoon is about what I would use. Doesn't seem strange to me at all. I do agree that the logging seems haphazard, though.

OP, definately get a scale and weigh and measure everything. Most people who estimate portions get it way wrong!

I hate butter on corn... yuck.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    To many carbs, not enough protein and health fats.
    If you tracked your sugar you are way over the amount you should have.
    Your food choices need help.
    I am not a great eater but I have made changes for the better.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I am going to be blunt. If you don't want blunt, read the next message.

The food you are eating is crap. Stop all of it. Tim Horton's cookies, Coca Cola, captain crunch and hot dogs for breakfast are not part of any balanced and healthy diet.

You need to eat three balanced, nutritions meals and day with a couple of high quality snacks.

Stop drinking your calories. Many days you are consuming 1/3 of your calories as sugar in soft drinks.

Items that should be in your diary?

Fruit - apples, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, to mention just a few. One apple has less than 100 calories, a ton of fiber, vitamins and other good stuff. Raspberries are remarkably high in fiber, and so delicious!

Whole grain breads to replace the cookies. A 1/2 bagel with some peanut butter would be so much better for you than 220 calories of Tim Horton's junk. Dempster's new bagels are 95 calories for 1/2, lower in sodium, and with 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter and a banana, you are at about the same calories, but miles ahead nutritionally. You will feel full longer, and your body will just be happy to have "real" food in it.

Vegetables - find some you like. Many are awesome, low in calories and should be a big part of your lunch and dinner, as well as snacks. Steam some broccoli. Chop up some carrots. Munch on zucchini, cauliflower and fresh tomatoes.

Proteins - lean, tasty thinks like tuna, grilled chicken, and even a small serving of steak or pork.

Snacks - a small serving of nuts - almonds, for example, fill you up and are packed with minerals and other good things.

Change your diet. You will not succeed long term eating what you are eating. You will continue to fail.

Ok, lecture over. There are literally hundreds of people on here that can help you, and hundreds of topics about nutrition and good eating. If you really want to change, do the reading. And then go to your grocery store, and pitch the Coke on the way out.

Good luck.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

but it's better to over estimate than to under estimate.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else on here; most of your calories consumed are drinks, not nutricious food.

You should definitely check out this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

I know that none of us are exactly perfect, but you have a lot of sugar, which if not burned off sticks around, in your diet and it's from the sodas, teas etc. Try replacing that with flavored water to save the calories that you can expend on healthy things like yougurt, eggs, cheese, meat (whatever your food choice may be).
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am going to be blunt. If you don't want blunt, read the next message.

The food you are eating is crap. Stop all of it. Tim Horton's cookies, Coca Cola, captain crunch and hot dogs for breakfast are not part of any balanced and healthy diet.

You need to eat three balanced, nutritions meals and day with a couple of high quality snacks.

Stop drinking your calories. Many days you are consuming 1/3 of your calories as sugar in soft drinks.

Items that should be in your diary?

Fruit - apples, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, to mention just a few. One apple has less than 100 calories, a ton of fiber, vitamins and other good stuff. Raspberries are remarkably high in fiber, and so delicious!

Whole grain breads to replace the cookies. A 1/2 bagel with some peanut butter would be so much better for you than 220 calories of Tim Horton's junk. Dempster's new bagels are 95 calories for 1/2, lower in sodium, and with 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter and a banana, you are at about the same calories, but miles ahead nutritionally. You will feel full longer, and your body will just be happy to have "real" food in it.

Vegetables - find some you like. Many are awesome, low in calories and should be a big part of your lunch and dinner, as well as snacks. Steam some broccoli. Chop up some carrots. Munch on zucchini, cauliflower and fresh tomatoes.

Proteins - lean, tasty thinks like tuna, grilled chicken, and even a small serving of steak or pork.

Snacks - a small serving of nuts - almonds, for example, fill you up and are packed with minerals and other good things.

Change your diet. You will not succeed long term eating what you are eating. You will continue to fail.

Ok, lecture over. There are literally hundreds of people on here that can help you, and hundreds of topics about nutrition and good eating. If you really want to change, do the reading. And then go to your grocery store, and pitch the Coke on the way out.

Good luck.

I agree with a lot of this, but you don't have to eat three meals a day in order to be healthy/lose weight. Frequency of eating does nothing, if you wanted to eat one huge healthy meal that equaled the amount of calories you're allotted for the day, you could (and people do)!
  • localfooddude
    Options
    I'm all about helping everyone get into tip top shape! Check out my profile and send me a message.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sugared beverages are a waste of calories. Try cutting down on one sugared beverage every day and drink more water and non-sweetened coffee or tea.

You need good nutrition to get healthy from the inside out. The pastries, the meats loaded in saturated fats, the desserts...none of them are doing you any good. Each week, choose an area of healthy eating to focus on. Maybe this week, add in more fresh vegetables. Next week, focus on eating lean meats. The week after, work on replacing the pastries and desserts with lower calorie, lower fat, lower sugar options. Just take one thing at a time. Your diet doesn't need to change overnight, but if you really want to get healthy and lose weight and stay healthy, you should really work on making changes at a pace that helps you transition from your current diet to a diet that will help you stay healthy for life.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

but it's better to over estimate than to under estimate.

I agree with that. But most people underestimate. That's why it's important to measure rather than guess.