Restarting and need some help

Options
Started MFP in Feb, MFP said that I needed to eat 1470 cals/day, so I've been doing that from Feb until May (stopped tracking in May because of work hours-and other things- throwing off my schedule, I wasn't eating bad, just inconsistently enough that it really wasn't good for me,) but I never lost any weight while I was doing that (often times I was still hungry after my 1470 cals, whether it was a workout day or not, and I did eat back my workout cals.)

Now that everything's cleared up that were causing problems, I decided to start back up again, I was thinking that I needed to change something in the cals since I haven't lost since I started in MFP no matter whether I ate the cals they recommended or less and my workout routine was changed around to see if that helped. I checked with my gym and they told me I should be eating 1560 cals/ day. A bunch of people on MFP threads mentioned the TDEE-15% so I checked that out and that number is 2165 cals/day. I'm worried that if I eat more cals I'll start to gain and I'm not sure what number to even change to at this point.

Can anyone help me out so I can get on track and start losing again (and hopefully not feel hungry!)
Thanks!

Replies

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    There's an eat more to lose weigh less group and I think they follow the TDEE -15% and have more info on how/why that can work.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

I can't personally vouch for it because I haven't tried it, but one of the people on my FL has had steady weight loss with that diet.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The first thing you might do, since you weren't losing, was to look at the TYPES of food you were eating and not just your calories. This is a nice type to reassess. The basic theory is good - the only way to lose is to eat less than you use. Slow loss is better (long term) than fast.

If you're not losing on that and you are honestly recording everything (really everything) then

a) look to see if your portion sizes are accurate
    b) look to see if your food choices are healthy
    c) make sure you're drinking enough water
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The first thing you might do, since you weren't losing, was to look at the TYPES of food you were eating and not just your calories. This is a nice type to reassess. The basic theory is good - the only way to lose is to eat less than you use. Slow loss is better (long term) than fast.

If you're not losing on that and you are honestly recording everything (really everything) then

a) look to see if your portion sizes are accurate
    b) look to see if your food choices are healthy
    c) make sure you're drinking enough water

I agree. The types of food make a HUGE difference. As an example, the other night I ate one serving of Van De Kamps Grilled Tilapia (1 3 oz. serving) and a WHOLE bag of Birds Eye Steamfresh Asian Medley vegetables (2.5 servings). I was absolutely STUFFED all night and into the next morning, yet the whole meal had under 400 calories, In contrast, today I ate a small frech fry and a plain grilled chicken sandwich that was over 500 calories and was hungry within only a few hours. I might add that today's food was much higher in fat and sodium than my fish and vegetable dinner was. Oh, and MEASURE EVERYTHING! Can't stress that enough. You'll be surprised at how small a single serving of a food really is.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I have been measuring everything and my food choices are limited due to food allergies (wheat, soy, peanuts, and shellfish) so it's mostly fruits, veggies, and protein and gluten free carbs (bread, rice, pasta) but even eating that at the 1470 cals/day, I would still be hungry at the end of the day, that;s why I'm wondering if it's that I'm not eating enough, even when I would eat back my exercise calories. I'm just not sure what calorie number I should use.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Thanks, checked the link, found that it's based on a book, so am going to read the book and see what it's all about, will keep you posted