Workout intensity - Am I missing something?!

Options
The gym I go to is a womens gym - so I'm not sure if this is just something that happens there, or is a universal phenomenon.

Every time I go to use a treadmill, or bike, or elliptical I can more or less guarantee there's someone there casually reading a book or magazine whilst using the machines. Like the treadmill will be on a gentle walk, bike will be leisurely etc. The other day I saw someone drinking a takeaway coffee whilst using the elliptical.

Am I missing something here?

When I go to the gym, I go for the best workout I can do... which involves blood sweat and tears most days!

What REALLY annoys me is when people try to boot me off machines so that they can stroll on there and read a book.

GAH. Sorry that sounds really horrible, but it's frustrating me lately. Surely that isn't working out - or am I just being ridiculously over enthusiastic.

Replies

• seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    I don't have that problem at my gym, but they built this big fancy shopping center with a much more expensive gym than mine in it and for some reason, put windows all in it so you can look at the people working out when you're trying to get to the movie theater.

We walked by the gym one night and we saw a guy on one of the bikes going so slow if it was a real bike, he would have fallen over
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hahaha that made me giggle.

I just find it so bizzarre the speed the women at the gym move at - it's like... why bother?! As for drinking coffee on the elliptical SURELY that's dangerous!

I think my conclusion is that people are strange creatures that I'll never understand!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    :laugh: i see this often at my gym and i think it's because of misinformation

the funniest is one day i was doing sprint intervals on a hamster mill and was next to some lady who was walking on a 2.5 speed and chatting with a friend. i was SWEATING like mad and this lady didnt even have a towel which meant she didnt expect to sweat. anyway, i was sweating so much that my forearms and hands were sweaty and when i'd move my arms during the sprints sweat would fly off and land on the console :laugh:

i didnt think anything of it because i was working very hard and i figured i'd just wipe down the console and hand rails when i was done. no biggy. so when i finished and started wiping down the machine the girl next to me told me that some of my sweat got flung on her ..

she was nice about it but she was like OMG i've never sen anyone work that hard. then she basically told me she was told that to lose weight you can't work out that hard because you need to keep your heart rate in the fat burning zone. i basically told her that wasnt true. she should try to work out as hard as she can within reason and that if she wanted to see results, she'd need to workout a bit harder than what she was doing.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    There are a few people that do this at the gym I go to..... I find it annoying and curious as well. How do you keep track of what you're reading when you're moving around?

Fortunately the gym I go to has more than enough treadmills :-)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Haha that's so funny - yeah this gym is amazing. You can so tell people have NO intention to work hard when they come to the gym with a face full of makeup and their hair freshly done. Then leave in exactly the same state!

My mind boggles with that - I feel like I'm constantly showering/washing my gym gear because I work really hard.

Know what you mean about the HIIT here your arms and hands get really sweaty. Sure sign of a good workout.

It does show what misinformation is out there though regarding how to use exercise to lose weight and get fit... there seems to be a bit of a myth around this 'fat burning zone'. If you think about it logically it doesn't make sense, because your body will adapt to that level of exercise and regulate accordingly. HIIT shocks the system so it really doesn't know what to expect next. Much more productive!
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Well at least they are at the gym and 20 mins of walking is better than none. Eventually they will catch the sweaty bug when they see others transform.