Eating Back Calories???

Options
I am new here and I'm very confused about this. I have always been told you need to burn more that you take in. Yet, I have been reading a ton of post on here where people are referring to eating back the calories they burn from exercising. Isnt this contradicting everything? It seems to me that if I burn calories on the Treadmill in the morning but cosume an EXTRA 500 above my allotted calories, it's as if I didnt exercise. Until I joined MFP I have never heard of this. Please explain.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    MFP has a built in deficit according to how much you want to lose. My BMR is like 1950 calories, but right now my base allowance ) calorie wise) is 1450 per day--MFP has already deducted 500 calories for the lb I want to lose per week. If I exercise and burn off 500 calories, that will put me at too big of a deficit for my body to handle on a daily basis
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hey! Enter Eating back exercise calories(for those who don't get it) in the search feature and you will get back loads of good info.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Eating back calories helps rebuild the muscles after exercise. On average, a person burns 2000 calories a day living. If you want to lose one pound (3500 calories = one pound) you have to cut 500 calories each day. Now you can eat 1500 calories a day and reach your goal. You are eating 75% of the calories you need to live.

Now you want to speed up the process by adding exercise. You begin an exercise program that burns 300 calories a day. Now you need 1725 calories to maintain 75% of your needs (2000 for living plus 300 from exercise). You will have a calorie deficit of 575 calories and lose one pound in about six days.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    MFP has a built in deficit according to how much you want to lose. My BMR is like 1950 calories, but right now my base allowance ) calorie wise) is 1450 per day--MFP has already deducted 500 calories for the lb I want to lose per week. If I exercise and burn off 500 calories, that will put me at too big of a deficit for my body to handle on a daily basis

THIS.