Is it possible?

memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it possible to lose weight and not inches? I have lost 32lbs but the inches are the same or bigger. And no, it's not muscle, I haven't been doing that type of working out. I measure the same way every time. I'm so confused. My clothes are fitting better. Maybe the numbers on my measuring tape are sliding!! LOL

memaw

Replies

• I imagine that it could be possible,
    my problem is the other way around. I am losing inches but my weight isn't really moving. I can tell I'm losing inches because my clothes are getting loose but the scale isn't dropping any. :ohwell:
  • trikstar
    trikstar Posts: 61
    I'm not sure, honestly. But if your clothing is loosening up, that's a good thing.

I personally find it awkward to measure myself right now, so I'm sure my numbers are off often.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Are you measuring yourself? You can't see your own back,,, it's hard to get the same place twice,,, etc. etc. My wife can measure me and get intelligent readings - but I can't.

Most of us are shaped like bowling pins or something - not the same measurements top to bottom. So, imagine that you measure your bowling pin right at the red ring around the neck. 6 inches - - Ok. Now put your bowling pin on a diet. It loses a pound - let's measure again. But this time you're not paying attention and you get the tape a couple inches lower, getting toward the thicker part. Still 6 inches!?! What's wrong?

Proably something silly like that. Get a close friend to measure you,,, it might start some trouble! :blushing: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    I have found the same thing the inches were going a lot slower than the pounds... My conclusion is that I am losing inches between the measurement points. This will also effect how your clothes fit. As you lose the fat out of the cells, but it does take time for them to shrink and release the water they have stored.

I choose to look at the positive... The scale is moving, the inches will eventually catch up.

You are doing great! :flowerforyou: Don't let the inches discourage you.. focus on the fit of your clothes. I even found that if I followed the sizing chart in a catalogue I would wear a 24 or larger, but when I try things on I am a 16/18. :noway:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    I agree with everyone (I'm so agreeable)....I have the issue ocean91 was talking about. Where I measure around my waist will shrink, but not as much as the fat rolls above and below it. So I measure in more places than where MFP tells you to.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    it's very possible. Adipose fat is only one of 3 different kinds of fat in the body.

Adipose (body) fat is the fat right under the skin, like around your waist, thighs, hips, and butt. There are 2 other types of fat, intramuscular fat, and fat that is in and around the organs. You can lose fat from these areas and not see any measurement difference. FYI, losing fat from organs (like the heart, and liver) is a VERY good sign, it's the worst kind of fat to have.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    it's very possible. Adipose fat is only one of 3 different kinds of fat in the body.

Adipose (body) fat is the fat right under the skin, like around your waist, thighs, hips, and butt. There are 2 other types of fat, intramuscular fat, and fat that is in and around the organs. You can lose fat from these areas and not see any measurement difference. FYI, losing fat from organs (like the heart, and liver) is a VERY good sign, it's the worst kind of fat to have.
    Thanks, that makes sense, I just couldn't figure it out and was getting really really frustrated.
    You have made me feel much better.:flowerforyou:

Memaw
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,082 Member
    my measurement does not go down.. but the jeans are longer :laugh: ...probably my legs is getting smaller & and also somewhere in my stomach..
    My butt is now "bubble" butt .. bigger than before so probably that's why the tape meassurement does not change.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

Just a little correction, Banks...Adipose is always adipose. I think you mean visceral and subcutaneous. There's also white adipose and brown adipose. Brown adipose is helpful in maintaining body temperature and isn't related to health issues like white adipose. Subcutaneous adipose is right under the skin and generally white. Visceral can be white or brown, but the white causes more health issues related to metabolic syndrome. Intramuscular triglycerides can be inflammatory or harmless depending on whether they're present due to overfeeding or chronic endurance exercise, but I don't know that they're in high enough abundance to be termed adipose. But you're definitely right that it's good to lose WAT from around the organs and the subcutaneous stomach area.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

Just a little correction, Banks...Adipose is always adipose. I think you mean visceral and subcutaneous. There's also white adipose and brown adipose. Brown adipose is helpful in maintaining body temperature and isn't related to health issues like white adipose. Subcutaneous adipose is right under the skin and generally white. Visceral can be white or brown, but the white causes more health issues related to metabolic syndrome. Intramuscular triglycerides can be inflammatory or harmless depending on whether they're present due to overfeeding or chronic endurance exercise, but I don't know that they're in high enough abundance to be termed adipose. But you're definitely right that it's good to lose WAT from around the organs and the subcutaneous stomach area.

I didn't want to get too deep on people (no pun intended) :tongue:

a little fat humor there folks!
This discussion has been closed.