I guess I will introduce myself again!

hnurcash
hnurcash Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I am 55, an LPN (I have worked in med-surg for 19 years). Weight has always been an issue. I need to lose at least 25 pounds (50 would be better!). I think the toughest thing is working stressful 12 hour shifts 3-5 days a week. It is very difficult to exercise on those days and overeating is such a comfort at the end of a hectic day. I start out strong but by the end of my third shift (if it is 3 days in a row) I am eating french fries, cookies and anything else I see. It takes a determined effort to not give in. It takes planning and mindfulness!

Replies

• kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Welcome :flowerforyou: And good luck to you :drinker: you'll love it here :flowerforyou:
  • I understand completely.
    It takes a lot of effort here too to not eat that "bad" stuff, especially when the kids are eating a snack and my skinny husband can eat what he wants and actually needs to GAIN weight.

But we can do it!!
    It make take a lot of determination but determined effort is good for the soul :)
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I can totally relate. I figured out from using the food diary that I get a great urge to over eat when I'm tired. It's as if I'm trying to compensate with carbs for want of sleep.

But knowing is half the battle, and we're all here to help support one another. Welcome! Glad you're here! lets do this thing together!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    i think maybe your key is to eat much more often throughout the course of the day, and eat healthy foods. For myself, i found that it took my body (and mind) about 4 weeks to purge all of the cravings for sugar and unhealthy food from my system. It was a very hard month, but then as i started to eat much healthier I craved that stuff less and less. Now, even when i see commercials on TV for fast food I used to LOVE (L-O-V-E love) i just think.. meh, my dinner will be better tasting and better for me.

as for exercise, i am sure being a nurse has you on your feet all day, and that IS exercise. Focus on getting more active on your days off as well. I have found that if i dont skip too many days my weight loss has been more consistent.. which only makes sense.

You have to start somewhere, and being that you know where the basic problems are (per your original post) you are on the track to change.

Good luck to you!

oh, and I have found that exercise (spinning is my exercise of choice) works wonders on stress!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome to MFP

This site changed my life and it can change yours.
    Take it one day at a time
    Take baby steps
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Drink a lot of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

This site helped me plan my meals ahead of time (usually the night before). I helped me learn more about healthy eating so I could eat more food and consume fewer calories.

I found a group on the message boards and joined so I'd have friends who wanted to hear about how I was doing and who would give me good ideas and motivate me to stay on my path.

Today can be the beginning of a great new life for you. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
This discussion has been closed.