Insanity help/tips and nutrition

Options
Ok so a little background. Home from college for the summer and was determined to get fit. Started P90X (did a little of P90X off and on before, but never longer than 2-3 weeks so no results) and got some pretty decent results to start, lost about 3 pounds in a week.
But I decided to change things up a little bit and switch to Insanity for a couple of reasons. My college has a short break this summer (switching from quarters to semesters) and I was only going to have something like 70 days of summer, so it made sense (to me at least) to switch to the 63 day program opposed to the 90 day program. And with my current fitness goals Insanity made more sense IMO, though P90X would have still been good.

But anyway using my home scale (which is a little inaccurate, but hopefully consistent!) I started at 190 lbs, I’m 6’0 and I’m actually in decent shape (usually ran 2-4 miles 2-3x a week while at school, among other exercise) but I have a pretty big gut that I would like to finally get rid of.
So my ideal weight is something like 175, but I really don’t care what I weigh as long as I still look pretty good. I’ll take losing inches over pounds any day! I wanna lose my spare tire!

So I get back from college and not gonna lie my nutrition has been pretty darn good for my standards. Usually start the morning with cereal and milk and some fruit and veggies, or something else that is/seems healthy. I’m a late riser if I don’t have work then I will just snack for lunch or a big snack. I usually have something like yogurt, almonds, some turkey slices, some cheese. Dinner, usually whatever my family is eating (which so far hasn’t been horrible health wise). Mom brought home fried chicken the other day (which I didn’t even like before I started to try and eat healthy) and I had a small piece and took the breading off and just ate the chicken. Ate some turkey later since I wasn’t full.

Being 19 I go out with friends a lot and I’ve been pretty good so far. Went to Steak N Shake and I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich. Fries came with it, but I think they were the worst thing I ate that week, so meh, I’m not gonna kill myself over it lol. I believe in cheating on meals every once in a while to stay sane. Same with Buffalo Wild Wings, usually I get 12-18 wings, but I got a grilled chicken sandwich (with bacon and fries, but still).

Worst though was this fancy place my parents took me to. Had some tenderloin wrapped in a puff with lobster and some fancy potatoes. I could just tell there was butter smeared over everything haha.

Minor transgressions aside, I feel like I have been doing pretty good. My mom sort of tires to make us eat healthy (but then we would binge and it would be worthless haha) so I was never completely unhealthy, maybe why the transition hasn’t been THAT horrible for me (I'm used to wheat bread haha, I used to hate it).

Big difference from last summer where I would get fast food a couple nights with friends, loaded up on desserts/sweets, lived on hot pockets lol.

Basically I’ve just tried to be smarter with my food choices and whatnot. I’m not following the Insanity guide or counting calories, but maybe I should start? Couldn’t hurt to incorporate parts of it and I have an app that helps with calories on my ipod. I'm probably going to try and use this website too.

Anyways so after a week of P90X I started Insanity and now I am on week 2, day 2. I was not expecting crazy results but I was initially disappointed with the scale, after it seemed like I was losing a decent bit of weight while only on week 1 of P90X (3 lbs). I went back up to 190 and fluctuated down and back up the whole week. I panicked a little because I thought Insanity was supposed to make me drop weight like no other and I was eating relatively good.

But then I did a little search and found out a lot of people don’t start to see the scale move until week 3 or 4 or maybe even the second half. And like I said earlier, as long as I improve my body, meh weight isn’t so important. But I was still a little disappointed, I’m making a lot of sacrifices food wise and have done better than I ever have nutrition/good food choices (not perfect but very good for me) and haven’t seen the results on the scale or in my body (but I’m so early on I was expecting to see any change in my body). I'm just nervous that all of this might be for naught. Some of my friends can eat like horses and eat crap and still have pretty good bodies.

Any tips on my overall fitness/nutrition with respect to Insanity? Anything I could complement Insanity with to work on trimming down my love handles and gut? I know you can’t spot target fat, but I was thinking about throwing in some P90X arms and ab ripper X. I have whey protein, should I start making protein shakes for after my workouts?

I’m not really worried but I just want to make sure I am on the right track, I don’t wanna do all of this work for naught.

Thanks!