Jiggly Arms

I didn't know what else to title this.

I have been working on strengthening my arms for 4 months or so. I am considerably stronger than I was 4 months ago. Back then 8-10 lbs was "omg so heavy kill me now" and now I can lift 45lbs on the overhead press and 55lbs on the rower/rear delt. Perhaps I could do more but I ease my way into it and every couple of weeks, I add more weight.

Unfortunately, the underside of my arms (the triceps?) is still larger that I'd like, hangs down and jiggles. I don't know what to do to get rid of it, but I would rather not have surgery because money isn't so easy to come by and I don't know if it would be covered by my husbands insurance.

I don't want to be embarrassed to wear tank tops or a bathing suit, but I am.

Is there anything I can do to start rectify this using the strength training machines at the gym?

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    The area would be your triceps. . .

Try push-ups (if you can't do a real push-up on the ground, try incline push-ups going lower as you get stronger until you're on the floor.)

If you insist on using machines for isolation instead of free weights*:

Chest press
    Triceps pull down/push down, depending on what your gym has.

Thing is, triceps balance the biceps, and you really should work them kind of together, so you may want to do some bicep curls, too.

*sorry, I just really prefer free weights to machines, having spent several years screwing around with machines and making no progress. . .
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,364 Member

Try push-ups (if you can't do a real push-up on the ground, try incline push-ups going lower as you get stronger until you're on the floor.)

Chest press

Thing is, triceps balance the biceps, and you really should work them kind of together, so you may want to do some bicep curls, too.

*sorry, I just really prefer free weights to machines, having spent several years screwing around with machines and making no progress. . .

I've been starting with wall push ups, because I have a knee injury from high school that I should have had surgery on 10 years ago. Are wall push ups effective?

Oh and Thank you for the advice!
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd is working miracles on that for me!! Try it! I am about 5 or 6 weeks in.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    I read that you can do tricep dipps using a chair. I'll give it a try as i have the bingo arm. "BINGO"
  • LilacDreamer
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd is working miracles on that for me!! Try it! I am about 5 or 6 weeks in.

I actually have it and tried it for about 5 minutes in February. she scares me :\ (and so do real push ups)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154

Chest press

I've been starting with wall push ups, because I have a knee injury from high school that I should have had surgery on 10 years ago. Are wall push ups effective?

Oh and Thank you for the advice!

I do wall push ups for the same reason. I believe I read somewhere they're as effective as ground push ups. I have the flabby "bat wings" and between them and bicep/tricep exercises they've diminished a fair bit thus far.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 751 Member
    Bump
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    The only way for you to lose that jiggle is to lower your overall body fat percentage & you can do that by eating on a deficit plus of course still continue with your weight lifting to keep as much muscle as possible. We lose both fat & muscle when on a deficit but we can minimize muscle loss by weight lifting.

No matter how effective the workout is but if you haven't decreased your body fat then what happens is you're conditioning your muscles that is hiding underneath that layer of fat.
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Maybe this will help???

Butt Bible Upper Level 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe2SC3RhjqQ

All three levels for upper and lower are on Youtube.
    One of my friends had amazing results with BB, she done it a month so I know it does work.

I'm starting Lower level 1 tomorrow anyone want to join me???:drinker: :flowerforyou:

I dunno about her (Jillian) I have that workout now, but not tried it. I do know someone who had excellent results with this, she posted her pics results. I saw the thread a few days ago. It def worked for her!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    How much weight have you lost?

Brachioplasty also leaves long scars and may make you even more self-conscious to bear your arms. Plus, with any surgery of this type, you have the risk of losing a lot of sensation in the immediate area. These are things to consider before undergoing the knife.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Free weights...rows are for back and overhead presses are for your scapula and anterior delt. Good old fashioned tricep extensions with free weights, tricep pushups (elbows turned in, you should feel your ribcage as you lower and you can start these on your knees and work your way up to tricep pushups on your toes) and tricep dips. Triceps are my weakest area but I did manage to get rid of that jiggle..I'm a school bus driver and wave all day long between parents and other bus drivers and random idiots who just like to wave to me (lol) so I was painfully aware of it myself. Good luck!
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member

I actually have it and tried it for about 5 minutes in February. she scares me :\ (and so do real push ups)

She can't see you so pull it back out and try! Do level one till you find it a little easy (trust me! That will happen!) then move to level 2. It is a great workout!
  • LilacDreamer

Brachioplasty also leaves long scars and may make you even more self-conscious to bear your arms. Plus, with any surgery of this type, you have the risk of losing a lot of sensation in the immediate area. These are things to consider before undergoing the knife.

I have lost about 30lbs. I want to avoid surgery and am trying to find better alternatives. That is the reason for my post.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Try Dipps and push ups. It take a long time and alot of effort in that area.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member

I have lost about 30lbs. I want to avoid surgery and am trying to find better alternatives. That is the reason for my post.

Got ya'. Based on your weight loss, I'm thinking exercise should help. I lost 90 pounds in my 20's and the underarm flab never went away, despite a lot of upper body weights. Genetics and the amount you lose I believe factor heavily in whether you can use natural means to deal with extra skin and flab.

I'll be interested in the other responses from people better equipped to give exercise advice. Wishing you all the best!
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    I have the same problem and I am doing tricep dips to try and help. My right arm, which is my dominant arm is less flabby than my left but I think the tricep dips are working but, it just takes time. So be patient and keep lifting and maybe try adding the tricep dips too. :)
  • sfuller911
    sfuller911 Posts: 63
    I have the same problem, I lose on my waist/hips/thighs pretty consistently but since I started diet and exercise I haven't lost ANYTHING on my underarm jiggle.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle jiggle... yeah!

Anyways, your ticker shows you still have some weight to lose. Just keep working on it, and it will happen. For me, it's my midsection that bothers me. I've lost 40 lbs and it still bothers me a bit, but I know once I get down to the weight I want to be I will have a slim stomach with abs to boot. But it's just going to take some time. And if you have extra skin at the end, then perhaps cosmetic surgery can rectify that situation.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Planks
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    The only way for you to lose that jiggle is to lower your overall body fat percentage & you can do that by eating on a deficit plus of course still continue with your weight lifting to keep as much muscle as possible. We lose both fat & muscle when on a deficit but we can minimize muscle loss by weight lifting.

No matter how effective the workout is but if you haven't decreased your body fat then what happens is you're conditioning your muscles that is hiding underneath that layer of fat.

You got it. And keep in mind, that arm flab is going to go whenever your body feels like giving it up. And since you're so self conscious about it, it will probably be the last to go. Keep it up