Advice on Motivation

Options
I am pretty much brand spankin' new to this website and I absolutely love it! My supervisor's husband told me about it and I've been hooked on it ever since. There is such an amazing vibe coming from everyone and the positivity is simply wonderful! I wanted to get some advice from anyone on how to keep your motivation going though. I get plenty of support from my boyfriend but I struggle wanting to make a great effort from time-to-time just within myself. I've had friends tell me we can buddy and work out together and eat healither and they end up bailing on me which just discourages me to no end. I've tried pictures and I typically end up telling myself I look just fine and I've also tried buying smaller clothes but I end up finding them not as cute anymore which doesn't keep me going. I've spent my entire life being the "bigger" girl and I'm ready to make the change for the long haul. My health should be reason enough to want to lose weight but I have plenty of other reasons also, it's just finding the motivation I use to have so much of to continue on this journey.

Replies

• jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm relatively new to this site too, but I've already received so much motivation and support - it's incredible! Good luck on your journey. :o)
  • notnormallyacaloriecounter
    Options
    My MFP friends are great motivation for me. Any time I work out or have a Non Scale Victory they're always there to tell me what a good job I'm doing. I find half of the time I do what I'm suppose to because I don't want to disappoint them. I don't want to be a stereotype anymore, people think a lot of time because I'm fat I'll just give up, so I make myself think of their reactions when I do follow through, and trust me their jaws are on the floor in my hypothetical and I love that. Then you have the people that tear you down, because they are insecure about themselves, I love making them realize my walls are built so strong and too tall for them to invade. And honestly, I never thought I'd say this but, when I work out I feel proud of myself, and I surprise myself how hard I can push, and how much I can do, and I'm still 243 pounds. It's going to sound corny but motivation isn't always from others, it's from ourselves, and once us fat people realize what we're capable of there is no stopping us.

By the way, just a word of advice, don't buy smaller clothes until you need them because at least for me, it's always a reminder of what I'm not, and I prefer to think of what I am. Plus, there is no better feeling than HAVING to buy new clothes because your old "skinny" pants barely stay up anymore. You can do it, regardless of what anyone (including yourself) says. Keep at it.