Eating back excercise calories

Options
ozzy_q
ozzy_q Posts: 47 Member
Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered before but so many of the responses have been varied with competing points of view. So I wanted to try and get a better understanding.

Basically my question/issue is this:
MFP reckons that the calories I burn from normal activity every day is around 2000 calories
My daily goal is around 1600 calories

When I excercised today I "earnt" an additional 900 calories.

Now should I eat back all/some/none of those extra calories.

I've read on some posts people saying you should eat back all of the calories.
But to me it seems that if I eat back all of the calories then what was the point in doing the excercise.
I could of just eaten my goals worth and not excercised with the same net result.

I know there are other benefits to excercise but if we are talking purely about weightless and calorie counting eating back everything seems a waste.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• fergyxx
    fergyxx Posts: 16
    Options
    If you are exercising I think your body needs more fuel.

If u don't eat them back you'll probably see results quicker, however if you do eat them, you can eat them back and still see results.

I aim to try and exercise a little every day so I can treat myself to a bottle of wine at the weekend without it having a major detrimental effect on my hard work during the week.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered before but so many of the responses have been varied with competing points of view. So I wanted to try and get a better understanding.

Basically my question/issue is this:
    MFP reckons that the calories I burn from normal activity every day is around 2000 calories
    My daily goal is around 1600 calories

When I excercised today I "earnt" an additional 900 calories
    .the point of exercise is to build a strong healthy heart and a toned body that burns food better so if you have set mfp correctly and not added your exercise into your daily activitie then yes eat back your calories but make sure you are logging all your food every morsel correctly and that you have not over estimated your exercise burn

Now should I eat back all/some/none of those extra calories.

I've read on some posts people saying you should eat back all of the calories.
    But to me it seems that if I eat back all of the calories then what was the point in doing the excercise.
    I could of just eaten my goals worth and not excercised with the same net result.

I know there are other benefits to excercise but if we are talking purely about weightless and calorie counting eating back everything seems a waste.

Thanks in advance
    he point of exercise is to build a strong healthy heart and a toned body that burns food better so if you have set mfp correctly and not added your exercise into your daily activitie then yes eat back your calories but make sure you are logging all your food every morsel correctly and that you have not over estimated your exercise burn
  • ozzy_q
    ozzy_q Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys much appreciated.

I'm going to go with not needing to eat them all back.

As a side note, I record all my food and excercise in my diary and the calories that I record as burnt from excercising come from the Nike + running app, excercise machines at the gym (treadmill, excercise bike etc). The only thing that is more of a guess is the amount of calories burnt through weight training at the gym. For the weight training I use MFP's estimation based on time spent training. It's not perfect but without a HRM it's as good as I can manage at the moment.