Fasting for Ramadon

2»

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Ok my number one worry is that ill mess up my metabolism and it will go slower. I have worked extremely hard to get where im at today and dont want to mess it up badly by fasting (even though i shouldnt be worried about weight gain and should be focused on the religious aspect.) but still, im here to lose weight yo!

Your metabolism won't be effected. This fasting for Ramadon is very similar to IF, a program created by Leangains. You fast most the day and then eat around dinner. You'll just be eating a bit later. Even during an absolute fast, or very low cal diet, your metabolism will only slow by like 5%. People get too worked up about that so called, "starvation mode." It's just broscience.

I agree with this. You should be fine. Even if your metabolism slows a little, it will only be a little, and you'll be back up to speed in no time.

Enjoy your religious worship. Best wishes.
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Duing ramadan I have a few strats that I think you can use

First off, your metabolism doesn't slow down during fasting period. You not eating during the day light has no affect on your metabolism and neither does eating multiple times a day. Even if you eat all your calories at the same time, it has absolutely no affect.

That being said, I usually try to have a BIG meal for sehri (suhur). I make sure that I eat atleast 1/3rd of my daily calories.

For iftar, I eat about 1/3rd of my calories and then the remaining for after Isha. This has worked well for me to keep me mentally satisfied, help me during Iftar parties and help me coupe for the good food available during this month

The main reason most muslims gain weight is because for iftar and suhur we eat massive quantities of deep fried foods and sweets etc. If you're counting calories, this problem should be fixed up.

Remember, you can always workout after Maghrib if you do go over your calories. A big thing you can use to help is that Taraweeh and other Prayers can be counted as workouts too (I feel kinda dirty doing it for some reason though lol)

My personal big problem is that during ramadan my water intake has to go down since if I try to remain at my current water intake, I feel thirsty during the day. If I decrease my water intake, I don't have that thirst as much anymore so during Ramadan I happily decrease my water intake since according to Imam Ghazali less water and food is good for the soul and body :)

Hope this helped. Good luck and Ramadan Mubarak in advance :)

^THIS^

And though I know it doesn't feel right, even if you ate all your cals in one meal, it wouldn't hurt you. It's the same as eating them throughout the day. Only difference is you'll probably feel bloated and kinda ****ty, because from a mental standpoint... It LOOKS like you pigged out, even though it's all in accordance to a plan. ;)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    This type of fasting should not affect your weight loss at all. The key is getting the calories in during the day. Timing of the calories is really irrelevant. Some Christians fast as well and there are different types of fasts we observe.. There is the total food fast where we do not consume anything except liquids (sometimes only water) for a period of one or more days... That type of fast will generally result in a significant weight loss for a period of the fast with a rapid but smaller weight gain after the fast... I once did this for a week and lost like 10 lbs and regained like 3 of those back -- nice side effect but not the purpose of the fast.

Many Catholic Christians fast a particular food item (or even an activity) for the period known as "LENT" (40 days between Mardi Gras and Easter)... Some will fast chocolate... others ice cream etc. Of course, this has nothing to do with one's caloric intake.

Some pastors even suggest a "Fasted Lifestyle" where you just don't eat everything you want for an extended period (hence lifestyle)... That is more like dieting than a fast but it does have spiritual implications as well since the focus is upon the Lord.

However, since you are eating calories... just not during the day, you may see some scale variations based upon the assimilation of food through digestion but the long term effects are simply not significant. A calorie is a calorie without regard to when it is consumed.

Best wishes on your endeavors.
  • zahea
    zahea Posts: 29 Member
    Thank you all! All this advise has put my mind at ease! :)
  • Reignofmongo
    My faith has a similar fasting period. I always gain weight. You're just so hungry once the sun goes down! I'd say your best bet is to have a large, protein heavy breakfast before sunrise, as protein digests more slowly. Also, I'm personally much less likely to overeat around others, so perhaps breaking the fast with others would help. Good luck!

With all due respect, fats digest the slowest. But protein is definitely much better for satiety.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Some good advice in this thraed. Stick to your calorie goal and you will be fine. I personally would allow for a bigger iftar meal, but that is just me. I found going without water far more difficult than food anyway.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Peace,

From about 15-20 years of fasting experience, i don't think you either lose too much or gain too much weight during Ramadan.
    As previous posters have mentioned--that depends on your caloric intake. Metabolism isn't affected much either -- think of it as missing lunch.

Overall, I found my workplace productivity went up during Ramadan and I could sleep in later (didn't have to spend 30 mins doing breakfast/lunch prep in the mornings). But, as you mention, the primary benefit is growing one's soul closer to God and building self-discipline.

As for the pre-dawn meal -- personally, I like yogurt, fruits, nuts & protein powder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogurt#Nutritional_value_and_health_benefits . Eating a balanced meal with sufficient proteins, fiber, vitamins, etc. is helpful.

Re: workouts: may depend on what time you break fast and how. When I worked with a trainer, we'd schedule for 1-2 hours after breaking the fast (a light meal). I found it helpful to be able to workout at a time when i could drink water either during or after the workout.

Wish you all the best.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Thanks for posting about this topic!! While I am not a muslim, I live in a muslim country and I observe Ramadan... it makes me feel very spiritual! I was worried about the exact same thing because I didn't want to 'fall off the wagon' during Ramadan so thank you all for your enlightenment!

Ramadan Kareem in advance!
  • ayfa
    ayfa Posts: 15 Member
    You'll be fine, just be sure to wake up before Fajr to eat otherwise, you'll get really hungry as the days are long.

You'll be fine iA, I doubt u will gain anything!
  • Hey Girl - I've ordered a book on Fasting written by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, I've read and now live by his Eat to Live book. He fasts all of his patients at first to "reset" their bodies from salt, sugar etc. People fast for days at a time drinking only water, it doesn't affect your blood sugar. You'll be fine.
  • Reignofmongo
    Hey Girl - I've ordered a book on Fasting written by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, I've read and now live by his Eat to Live book. He fasts all of his patients at first to "reset" their bodies from salt, sugar etc. People fast for days at a time drinking only water, it doesn't affect your blood sugar. You'll be fine.

I agree here, I fast pretty frequently. Usually for 3-4 days at a time. I love it, it makes you feel great! Just gotta get through that first couple days. ;)
  • innocentlywicked
    innocentlywicked Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks for posting & advice everyone!! I was wondering the same thing!!
  • bur you can't store fat if you don't eat fat?
  • Reignofmongo
    bur you can't store fat if you don't eat fat?

Any macro can be stored as fat, unfortunately. :P