Going over my protein guidelines..... HELP

Options
Hi All!!

I am still relatively new to MFP so I am learning. I have been looking at my daily summary and whilst I am trying to balance every aspect of carbs/sugar/protein/fats etc out (this is going to be a trial and error thing for me) I notice I go over my protein a lot- not by loads- but I am wondering what the effects of this is?

WHat happens if you have too much protein? X

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    we can't see your diary.

The MFP standard guideline for protein is fairly low, you can probably eat up to 30 or 35% of your calories as protein without it being "excessive". Protein that isn't needed as protein for muscles etc is broken down and used as fuel.
  • dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I go over on my protein every day. I also follow a Keto diet though. The only think I have notice is my finger nails are growing strongther and longer......not sure if it is related but I've never had great nails before so I'll take it.
  • tamrah1991
    Options
    I found myself doing that today to, iam under my calories but slightly over on protein
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Bump - Similar situation :grumble:
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If your body doesn't want it then you'll pee it out so just drink plenty of water. I've always eaten around 30% of my calories from protein and I'm still alive so unless you've turned carnivore or noshing protein shakes like they're going out of fashion then I doubt you're doing any harm.
  • mfpmech
    mfpmech Posts: 10
    Options
    (assuming food is from varied and healthy sources) there is no such thing as too much protein, fat, or carbs.

the only time you're getting too much of one thing, is if it prevents you from getting your minimum daily need of protein or fat.

the general idea is: hit your minimum needed protein, try to get close to the recommendation for fat, and then fill out the rest of your calories with some carbs, even more protein and fat if it fits your calorie goals and looks yum.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I don't know where the person that says it gets peed out read that at, but I read that as long as your within your calorie goal then you're fine.....obviously if you have gout or other protein related issues then be careful......However, I read that if you're over your calorie goal and protein is why, then it gets stored as fat just like anything else.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Even if you are chronically exceeding your TDEE goals by extremely large amounts and chronically taking in excessive amounts of protein, it is still a very unlikely process. Your body is more likely to convert carbs to fat in a similar condition compared to protein, though. Also, if there is an abundance of fatty acids in the body, it is even less likely to take excess protein and convert it to fat whether you are at a calorie deficit, maintenance or surplus. In point, its only in extremely rare occasions when protein to fat conversion will ever occur.
  • xoxosarinaxoxo
    xoxosarinaxoxo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    eat as much protein as you want it will build musle making weight loss easier.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't know where the person that says it gets peed out read that at

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517469-does-eating-too-much-protein-affect-your-kidneys/
    Excess protein in your diet is excreted from the body as waste, used for energy or stored as body fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Think of your protein goal as a minimum to go over, not a maximum to stay under.

Unless, of course, you have medical issues and are under doctor's orders.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Think of your protein goal as a minimum to go over, not a maximum to stay under.

This.

I go over my protein every day. In fact, I usually go over it by lunchtime. As long as you're under calories, carbs and fat, you should be fine.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary. But my trainer is always telling me to eat lots of protein and not worry if I go over on what my goal is for the day. I have my macros set to 40carbs 40 protein and 20 fat.

Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

ding ding ding! Winner! If you can figure it out, reset you macros to a higher protein level, because the MFP defaults are very low, especially if you do any exercise beyond yoga. But you can just ignore the red protein numbers and make sure your fat and carbs don't take you over your daily total calorie limit.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

^^This

I doubled my protein goals from what MFP set by my Drs recommendation. I eat 50-60% of calories from protein and less than 20% from carbs. I have exceed my monthly goals for weight loss AND my lipids are all now normal. A good diet, even if it is high in protein is still healthier than a bad diet for health. Protein fills you up, helps rebuild muscle and is not the bad guy that is mad out to be about raising cholesterol,at least not in my case.