Tracking steps from a pedometer?

Options
I started a new job at a warehouse where I stow packages onto shelves. I'm on my feet for 10 hours on 4 days every week. I was considering bringing a pedometer to work to see exactly how many steps I take in that time. Are there any ways of tracking calorie burn on this website for that? I couldn't find it under cardio. Or are there other websites I could use? Suggestions? I also upped my activity level from sedentary to lightly active, although considering how sore I am at the moment I don't know if I should up it again to "active" or just add calorie burn from the pedometer.

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Anybody?
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. It synks with MFP and keeps track to everything for you.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    the pedometer I use gives the approximate calorie burn so I just log that manually into mfp along with the number of steps and how many miles I've done
  • partpig
    partpig Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I bought my pedometer on line from Costco. It's great, it shows you how many steps you took that day and how many of those steps were aerobic. It also comes with a program that allows you to plug your pedometer into the computer and download your results. It also show calories burned and distance walked. I have been using it for a month now. Love it.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit, you can link it to your MFP. Best $ I ever spent. buy it directly at fitbit.com. I am a nurse in the OR some days I get up to 20,000 steps at work.
  • Hownow37
    Hownow37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love my pedometer. Your job in the warehouse is perfect for using one! I wish I'd had one when I was in our warehouse. I talked our security officers into using them and walk the site instead of driving it.

Also, check out any of the 10,000 steps websites. The idea is to just get up and get moving. The challenge to make those 10,000 steps with my current job is tough one and it makes me get up and make multiple trips to file a little at a time instead of saving it for all at once. When I hit that goal and I haven't had time for a workout it still feels good.
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Since this is 40 hrs a week, I'd consider just upping the activity level up from lightly active to highly active, (the category that also includes mail carrier), then not log calories from walking at all. Save your money.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

This could work as I have a pedometer that counts steps and distance already. It counts whenever it shakes, assuming I'm moving but I have to squat and stuff so those may count as steps too. I don't really have $99 to blow on a fitbit when I may not be allowed to take it on the floor with me. We have a metal detector going in and out of the work area. I'll see how my simple one works first. :P

I'm sure 10,000 steps a day isn't that hard for me with this job. On my days off I tend to relax more to rest up for the week. I don't wanna burn out. Although I still go to the gym sometimes after work. Gotta build that muscle! :)