NSV - 1st 5k today

Options
dougii
dougii Posts: 679 Member
WooHoo! I ran my first 5k today without walking at all!! Considering that I did not run at all 6 weeks ago this is truely amazing to me. I felt so good at the end I walked the same course backwards to cool off (LOL). Now 41:57 isn't fast but I can now work on the speed, and having made it up all 4 of the big hills was an accomplishment in itself!

Replies

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    hey! well done!!! forget about the speed, YOU DID IT!!!! Awesome job :)
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Congrats to you. Great victory!!
  • emtjess
    emtjess Posts: 26
    Options
    wow congrats =-) !!!!!!!
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Doug

Congratulations! I am thinking of running my first 5K in September.

Thanks for posting and letting us know about your amazing transformation in just six weeks.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Are you hooked????? I just love the running community. I do "races" of all distances and love it. I run at least one a month, sometimes more.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Hook, line and sinker! :happy: I ran cross country as a teen.....hadn't run in 37 years unless I was being chased by rabid dogs....and have now rediscovered something that I love. I can;t wait for my rest day to go by so I can get back out on the road!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I ran my first 5k the 1st weekend of June and it had one long hill that was killer! It was extremely exciting, and to see all the people lined up to watch you finish gave more energy and enthusiasm! I'm looking at 4 more 5k's this year.
  • sjlapins
    sjlapins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I am signed up for my 1st 5K in July and like you, 6 weeks ago I wasn't jogging either. I am nervous that I won't be able to make it without having to walk. Thanks for posting and job well done!! :)
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Awwww! Great job!
  • sqwerly
    sqwerly Posts: 31
    Options
    Congrats! I have just started the couch to 5k and I am planning to do a 5k in September
    Who knew running could be so fun! :laugh:
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm still working on this goal, so thanks for the motivation!
  • delta90017
    delta90017 Posts: 64
    Options
    Nice job!. You will find increasing your speed is fun and easy. Just run 10 seconds at a faster pace during your normal runs. do it several times, then 20 seconds, then one minute as weeks go by. I'm 67 and ran my first marathon at 60. it's fun and easy at 11:30 MMP for me. And the running community IS fantastic.
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    that is awesome!!!! What a great victory!
  • Morethanwillpower12
    Morethanwillpower12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I am doing my 1st 5k in August :)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! !!!!! That is awesome !!! Hoping I can write the same thing in September! !
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    way to go! Sooooo addictive!!! I need to run my first 5K (soon) and then I plan to work up to a triathlon!!! :-)
  • kburgess247
    kburgess247 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great job! Half the battle (on the track and in life) is in the mind and you are definitely in the right frame of mind to meet and beat all of your goals. Congratulations!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hey Well Done and congratulations :drinker:

Your speed will increase my first 5k was 48 min as im a slow runner but my most recent 5k was 38 min

I've also done a few 10ks and ran my first 10k race on Fathers day last Sunday and although i was near the back it felt fantastic and im now hooked :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!