How much money do you spend on being Fit??

Options
124»

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Running shoes - $10
    Rebounder - $35
    Hand weights -Free! (used to belong to my brother)
    Resistance tubes - $15
    Cycling machine - Free again!! (It was a gift)
    Total = $60

I also have a Netflix account that I use for workout videos, but we use it for so many other things I don't really count it. I don't make a lot of money (so I can't afford a gym membership or a lot of home workout equipment), but it's not hard to lose weight on a budget.

Walking is free and it counts as exercise and you can lose by just eating smaller portions.

61 for Y membership (for those days it's raining or when the snow flies)
    8 a week for Zumba, (love the interaction with people instead of at home where I probably wouldn't do it)
    Looking into some hand weights as I think I'm ready (maybe) to start building some muscle back.
    May buy a HRM just because I want to know exactly how many calories I am burning instead of depending on the machines or MFP
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't spend any money to be "fit." I may consider that I spend money to be healthy, but it's not any more than I do from being unhealthy. Now I watch what I eat, so I eat less. I am currently doing an elimination diet to find food allergies (it runs in the family). That requires a strict diet of all organic foods and such.

To compare to your list...

Vitamins: $0. I already buy those, not to be fit, but to be healthy.
    Protein bars: Those things aren't as good for you as you might think. Try a glass of milk, some nuts, or a ham sandwich.
    Gym membership: $0. I find gyms boring and uninspiring. I prefer the outdoors or my own home.
    Fitness DVDs: $0. On the internet, they're free!
    Home Gym Equipment: $0. I prefer to use my own body weight and go for HIIT instead of max weight to build bulk.

As for things like shoes and whatnot, the money I would spend on those I save by not using a car as much. It's a change of habit and lifestyle. In general, the healthier you live,t he less expensive it'll cost you.

I guess you could call me frugal.

Yeah that's me too.

My employer offers a free gym in the building, I haven't used it yet, but I might use it in the winter. Generally I really don't like gyms, I find them stuffy and un-fun and I can always find an excuse not to go (I don't have time, I forgot my gear, I don't want to get sweaty in the middle of the day...). I may avail myself to my daugher's Jillian Michaels DVDs sometime.

But it's a mile each way between the train and my office, so I've started walking that instead of taking a bus... 10 miles a week I can log, just in the course of my day. On the weekends I hike when I can, Utah has a gorgeous landscape and ample trails. I walk my dogs and mow the lawn (front lawn is small, I use a pushmower LOL). None of it is rippin' shreddin' kick-assin' but I believe it all adds up. I am losing weight.

I don't buy any special foods or supplements (just the same daily vitamin and b-12 I always have). Overall I find that the more I incorporate exercise and healthful eating into my regular day, the more likely I am to keep doing it. As a vegan of 5 years most people are surprised that one could gain weight but it's just like any other lifestyle. Potato chips, Oreos, and twinkies are all technically vegan ;) I was obese when I went vegan in the first place, and then recently I spent a year on my butt with an orthopedic injury followed by surgery -- eating the worst plant-based foods imaginable. So now I'm getting back to where I need to be, and I want to do it by just living in a healthful way.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The only money I have really spent is $30 for a pedometer. Anything else I use I have had for years.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I've spent a lot in the past but I don't use much of my home gym and tools regularly. Here's what I use regularly:

Fitbit: $100, 2.5 years ago
    Dog leashes, shoes, sunscreen: I need those things anyway
    Whole foods: Cheaper than junk/restaurant food
    My diet/fitness book obsession: Most were free from the library
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I probably spend more than I should, but I look at it that I used to be paying for things to make me fat not fit (eating out, drinking, etc)

Estimate for a year (not including food):

Gym $500
    Hockey $800
    Random classes like hot yoga: $200
    Runners (2 pairs) $240
    Subscriptions to health magazines $40
    Entries to runs $100
    Fitness Dvds (that I can't find online) $50
    Fitness games for wii ($80)
    Rough guess on my addiction to lululemon + nike $500
    Vitamins: $200
    Upgrades to home fitness equipment varies based on what I want to try. Latest purchase was a set of kettle balls $50 + replacing my HRM transmitter $40 that one of the dogs got to.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Whatever I spend, it's a lot less than the medication my parents take for their diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc, etc, etc.....
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot less on being fit than I did being unfit. I now don't have to buy cigarettes, lighters, fast food, alcohol, taxi fare, cover charges, flowers,junk food.

Polar ft4 = 139.99 Canadian $ ( still worth it)

New bathing suit = 30.00

Prescription Swim Goggles = 60.00

Weekly swimming pass = 8.30

Swiss exercise ball = 19.99

Source Hydration system = 39.99

Sigg Water Bottle= 30.00

Various sports clothing = 350.00

Nike's = 79.99

Norco Mountain Bike = free, got it at the dump and fixed real derailer

Scottish kettle bell = Free, old detergent jug filled with sand

Incline apparatus = Free, it's actually a mountain.

Hiking trails = Not sure cause taxes pay for it.

The weekly swimming pass, plus gas to get there in a Echo ( biking not an option)plus weekly cost of veggies and fruits. I'm still saving lots of money by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Win Win situation. :D
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    How much does one save by being fit?

Less fast food, more clean food
    Healthier therefore less Dr visits and medication
    Capable fo doing other physical activities because you are fit, e.g. mowing
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Gym membership $26.50/month
    Protein bars $1.50/ day
    Whey Protein shake mix $17.50/month.
    That's about the only stuff that has changed unless you want to include the $50 I've spent on gym gear/clothing

Again a LOT less expensive than what I paid for Dr.'s last year.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Gym: $20/month
    Protein: $20/month

Shoes: $190 (2 pairs of shoes, the first pair messed up my toe)
    Clothes: $175
    HRM: $100

Food not included because I don't do the grocery shopping.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Shoes
    Tennis lessons
    Tennis drills
    Tennis league
    More shoes
    Vitamins
    Protein Powder
    Protein Bars
    Rotary Membership (so I can do Dragon Boating)
    Cute tennis outfits
    Cute running outfits
    Metformin
    iPhone apps
    Heart Rate Monitor
    SPI Belt
    Tennis vacations
    Tennis rackets
    Tennis balls
    Trainer (New Leaf affiliate)
    Gym membership
    Bicycles
    Helmets
    Bike shorts
    iTunes for workout music
    Organic, grass-fed beef
    Organic veggies
    etc
    etc
    etc

Let's just call it THOUSANDS........and I'm in way better shape in my 40's than I could ever dream about in my 20's. Loving life, making friends, and staying healthy. My family and I are worth every penny.