Weight fluctuations?

Options
Why is it that when I weigh myself at nighttime(not every night, but quite a lot), one day I'll be a certain weight, then gain a little the next day, then the day after that weight will be gone, and a little more?

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Never weigh yourself at night. Best to do it first thing in the morning after the bathroom and before you eat anything
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Never weigh yourself at night. Best to do it first thing in the morning after the bathroom and before you eat anything

OH YA, I TOTALLY agree with this advice! :wink: :laugh:
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    You'd be surprised how much your weight can change from day to day. try not to obsess over it too much. take it on a weekly basis will keep you saner!!!
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    Usually it is water related... If you eat more salt one day you will retain more water making you weigh more. As the others have said in the morning after the bathroom and before food is the best time. I do weigh myself at night, but it is more of a curiosity thing, I have found it interesting how my weight will change overnight. :laugh:

The only weight I record is the morning one.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    weight fluctuates because of water weight, food intake, etc.... if you eat 16 ounces of food for dinner, and dont get rid of anything, a couple hours later you are gonna weight more... your body needs time to digest the food and convert it into useable energy, and poo LOL

my advice is to weigh only once or twice a week, in the morning, before consuming anything but after using the bathroom. At least then your weights will be taken under consistent circumstances and can be considered a bit more reliable.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday and only take the lowest weight.
    When the scale goes up,I don't record that weight, I just drink more water and concentrate on my diet until the scale goes down again.
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I read in one of the fitness mags that your weight actually goes up MORE right after a healthy meal that it does after a crappy meal, since the healthy meal has more fiber and water content and is more likely to have a high weight while still having low calories. A burger and fries weight less than a bowl of soup and a salad.
  • shel75
    shel75 Posts: 75
    Options

OH YA, I TOTALLY agree with this advice! :wink: :laugh:

Yes, absolutely!!! Water weight changes all the time. Watch the sodium as well! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: drink lots of water:drinker: :bigsmile: