High Protein without Supplements?

Has anyone successfully ate a high protein diet without the use of protein shakes and bars? I am attempting to switch to high protein, aiming for 160-170g a day, and I really don't want to be eating protein bars and shakes. Currently I am eating a lot of greek yogurt, eggs, meats, string cheese, and high protein cereal but am looking for more ideas.

Replies

• vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    egg whites mixed with regular eggs.
    Soy protein powder used to replace some of the flour in any baking you do
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    garbanzo beans
    black beans
    sardines
    milk
    almonds
    pecans
    walnuts
    sesame seeds
    flax seeds
    hemp seeds
    chia seeds
    kale
    chicken
    turkey
    elk
    salmon
    cod
    buffalo
  • dmacdonal9
    dmacdonal9 Posts: 2 Member
    Why are you against protein powders?
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    I try to limit processed foods, don't eat artificial sweetners, and think there should be a way to do this without supplements. The powders and the bars have alot of sugar and/or artificial sweetners it seems, and both are expensive.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Protein is more expensive compared to carbohydrates and fats
    There are websites with really cheap proteins that are actually more economical than food (I would rather get the satisfaction of eating real food though)

Cheap food protein sources: frozen chicken breasts, ground chicken/turkey, egg whites, liver (I can get 150g protein worth for like 3$), whiting (fish), cottage cheese
  • isopure makes a sweetener free protein called isopure natural chocolate
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    I try to limit processed foods, don't eat artificial sweetners, and think there should be a way to do this without supplements. The powders and the bars have alot of sugar and/or artificial sweetners it seems, and both are expensive.

Just about everything you eat is processed, it's how it becomes food. Killing a cow and butchering it? That's a process; do you even know what you are trying to define? The Romans made a crude form of MSG thousands of years ago, and they didn't use factories to do it. Does that make it the good processed or bad? White rice is just brown rice with the husk and bran removed, something that has been done for quite a long time as well.

Your string cheese, cereals, and greek yogurt? Oh billy are they processed.

Protein powders are essentially powdered skim milk, and you can get many that are naturally sweetened, Optimum Nutrition makes a couple blends of that. Most powders are sweetened with something similar to splenda, and are not very heavy with it at all. If you are concerned about heavy metals, well if you ever owned an iPod prior to 2011 you took in more arsenic in your fingertips than a 6lb bag of Crytosport muscle milk will ever have.

If you want to steer clear of that, just eat lots of chicken breast, tuna steak or sashimi, liver, keep with the greek yogurt and most everything else folks have suggested.

As for my previous comments; if you are out killing your own livestock, keep a chicken coop to provide you eggs, and everything you eat, you grew, and ate raw, out of the ground without doing anything to it; I'll shut the *kitten* up.
  • obeseto13point1
    Well I don't think I need to be attacked for using the wrong word to describe how I try to eat.

I guess what I should have said is that I try to avoid eating a lot of "empty calories", artificial sweetners, excess salt, and choose more nutritious options. I try to avoid: chips, cookies, candy, boxed dinners, canned stuff, juice, soda, crackers, ice cream, 100 calorie packs, tv dinners... and try to eat more fresh stuff, lean meats, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, yogurt, things that are good for you.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I use Now Foods Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate powder.

105 calories, 25g protein, less than 1g sugar, 1g carbs

You aren't going to find any food that has that much protein for that little calories. Essentially it is a natural supplement (it's made from milk, and is 98% pure) that you can add to virtually any food.

I add a scoop into my nonfat greek yogurt, and for 245 calories, I get 49g of protein. If you are watching your calories and need that much protein, I would give it a try.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Eating 160 grams of protein per day should not be too hard without a supplement, I get about 250 grams per day and manage ok.

Don't see protein shakes as the enemy though, they are one of the cheapest, cleanest and most convenient sources of protein available, they are there to help you out ........so why not use them?

Yes they are processed, but so is every other dairy product you eat to a degree.

If you are eating plenty of lean meats and the other items mentioned you should get there without too much trouble.

I don't consider nuts a particularly good protein source though, considering the amount of fat you would have to eat to get a good serving of protein from them, they can be difficult to fit into your macros sometimes.
  • obeseto13point1
    I use Now Foods Unflavored Whey Protein Isolate powder.

105 calories, 25g protein, less than 1g sugar, 1g carbs

You aren't going to find any food that has that much protein for that little calories. Essentially it is a natural supplement (it's made from milk, and is 98% pure) that you can add to virtually any food.

I add a scoop into my nonfat greek yogurt, and for 245 calories, I get 49g of protein. If you are watching your calories and need that much protein, I would give it a try.

If I can find this I might try this one. That is a lot of protein for the calories.
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    -Fage Greek 0% Yogurt has 22 grams of Protein
    -Lots of Chicken, Bell & Evans Organic is my favorite....around 25 grams a piece
    -Sirloin or Filet (Grass Fed)
    -Grouper, Tilapia, Wild Salmon
    -95%/ 5% Lean beef
    -Almonds & Walnuts
    -Swiss Cheese
    -Eggs