Olive Oil

Options
columbus27
columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
I've been on MFP for a few years. And today i made some eggs. So I decided not to use the generic fried egg and build my egg in my food diary with olive oil. And wow I did not know olive oil had that many calories. My question is what do you use? And has anyone found a salad dressing that does not have sugar in it?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is the healthier of the oils and you shouldn't need that much to cook an egg. Personally I wouldn't use any oil to cook an egg - just a light spray of PAM or something in the pan.

I've never looked at the sugar in my salad dressing. I usually use either olive oil & flavored vinegar or Kraft Free Catalina (which I'm guessing has sugar since it's sweet)
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I try to eat olive oil every day. 1 to 3 teaspoons (3 teaspoons is a tablespoon - 120 cals). Part of the weight watcher plan is to eat 2 tsp/ day. There a many health benefits.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I use Pam olive oil spray. Only a few sprays are needed.... I use calorie wise dressings but sometimes I mix white wine vinegar & olive oil and I put some Mrs dash no salt garlic/herb seasoning to it for a little zip.
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    I find that most things I can do without the oil I THOUGHT I needed

when I started roasting asparagus I used a tablespoon (for about 2 cups of asparagus)
    then I used a teaspoon
    then I used half a teaspoon
    then I just stared at the bottle and put it back in the cupboard, the asparagus tastes fine!

that said, I'm never in danger of not eating enough fat in a day!
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is awesome! I use it every day when I cook. It has a lot of good fat in it vs other kinds of oils. Plus it gives me needed extra calories. I only use extra virgin olive oil.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Pam here too, but you can use extra virgin light olive oil.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I use butter.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil. :)
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    PAM Olive Oil for everything!

so much health packed into those little calories with it!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Pam here too, but you can use extra virgin light olive oil.
    "light" olive oil is a myth, same number of calories. The "light" refers to the lighter color and milder olive flavor it gets from processing.

Anyway: oil isn't evil (I add flax and coconut oils to my coffee every morning!) but for eggs I usually just spray the can with Pam (or rather Aldi's generic version of Pam)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a few years. And today i made some eggs. So I decided not to use the generic fried egg and build my egg in my food diary with olive oil. And wow I did not know olive oil had that many calories. My question is what do you use? And has anyone found a salad dressing that does not have sugar in it?

Make sure you found the correct brand of oil, my EVO is only 40 cals per table spoon, Olive oil is also very good for you. You could use pam olive oil spray or any pam product instead. If you are super worried about your eggs and how you fry them ... just hard boil them.

Walden Farms makes fat free calorie free dressings just double checked they're sugar free also. ... However they don't really taste super amazing or anything takes some time to get use to them. Personally I make my own salad dressing and I use evo in all of them, on the plus size they contain no sugar :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I almost never fry food that requires cooking oil. My friends and family use olive oil that they spray through a misting or aerosol device designed for cooking oil. It's like PAM, but you pick your own oil.

I try not to put dressing on my salad. Every now and then I'll add a good dressing if I'm at a restaurant . If I make a vinaigrette dressing, I use a higher vinegar/oil ratio than is usual to reduce the oil.

I'm lucky in that I enjoy the taste of fresh vegetables. I don't need to embellish them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Make sure you found the correct brand of oil, my EVO is only 40 cals per table spoon, Olive oil is also very good for you. You could use pam olive oil spray or any pam product instead. If you are super worried about your eggs and how you fry them ... just hard boil them.

Walden Farms makes fat free calorie free dressings just double checked they're sugar free also. ... However they don't really taste super amazing or anything takes some time to get use to them. Personally I make my own salad dressing and I use evo in all of them, on the plus size they contain no sugar :)
    40 calories per tablespoon is impossible. All oil is 9 calories per gram of fat, and about 14 grams of fat per tablespoon. 14*9= 126 calories per tablespoon. If it's less than that, it isn't real oil. 40 calories per TEASPOON, maybe, not tablespoon.

The health benefits to olive oil are well worth the calories.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Walden Farms makes fat free calorie free dressings just double checked they're sugar free also. ... However they don't really taste super amazing or anything takes some time to get use to them.

I know a couple of people who can't do without Walden Farms artificially sweetened chocolate and caramel sauces. I don't get it. They taste bitter to me.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Olive oil has good fats but I stay away from it too. I use olivio or canola spray which has 0 cals. :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and infused canola oils which add so much flavor to food! I use sparingly though cause of calories.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of eggs you like, but when I do omelets and etc at home I just crack an egg in a plastic bowl about the size that I need and microwave it. Never stick to the bowl too bad and I never need a butter/spray/oil to do it. I can get them to come out perfectly for my muffin sandwiches this way, just like mcdonalds egg mcmuffin sandwiches but not slathered in grease lol.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I try not to put dressing on my salad. Every now and then I'll add a good dressing if I'm at a restaurant . If I make a vinaigrette dressing, I use a higher vinegar/oil ratio than is usual to reduce the oil.

I'm lucky in that I enjoy the taste of fresh vegetables. I don't need to embellish them.

Just be sure you're consuming some fat source with those veggies otherwise you won't be absorbing your fat-soluble vitamins - which are vitamins A, D, E, and K.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I like my Misto oil sprayer. I'm not throwing away a bazillion empty Pam cans. Less expensive in the end, also.