Cardio make you fat???

Options
1234568»

Replies

• tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    This is just another example of someone taking something with a kernal of truth (increased cortisol levels during certain types of cardio) and taking it to an extreme that is completely ridiculous. And this type of thing happens all the time in fitness/nutrition!

Here's a link to an excellent article that is trying to push back on some of the cardio hate which i=seems to be the current trend (it'll change in a few years to be the other extreme). To give proper credit, this article is courtesy of stroutman81.

http://anthonymychal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/TheMythofHIIT.pdf
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is just another example of someone taking something with a kernal of truth (increased cortisol levels during certain types of cardio) and taking it to an extreme that is completely ridiculous. And this type of thing happens all the time in fitness/nutrition!

Here's a link to an excellent article that is trying to push back on some of the cardio hate which i=seems to be the current trend (it'll change in a few years to be the other extreme). To give proper credit, this article is courtesy of stroutman81.

http://anthonymychal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/TheMythofHIIT.pdf

Great--add that to my other stack of things I have no time to read! I hope it's worthwhile because I just downloaded the whole pdf to read later.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    There are scientific studies to support both for and against running, and also I'd rather run than be a slob but for me progressive controlled safe lifting with a spot on diet works perfectly. There is also the argument of injuries.

When I was running at a reasonable level (34:00 10k and 1:20 Half marathon) I was forever picking up giggling injuries, picked up more illnesses and required much more time away from my training than I do now.

I'm not going to argue against lifting and diet being essential tools for body recomposition. I am going to argue that those running time are not "reasonable." They're frickin amazing.

I don't know much about 10k times, but that half marathon time is pretty close to ridiculous. That's barely over 6min/miles. At many half marathons that's "elite" status. Well done sir!
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify I DONT think cardio will make you fat in any way at all. Quite the opposite. I just dont think doing lots of itis the best way to remain lean whilst maintanining muscle mass. At least if you're natural without gifted genetics.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I think that only cardio makes you fat. I think that if you don't combine it with weight training you will have a higher percentage of fat. I was only 10 pounds away from my goal and basically only did cardio but my fat % was high. The PT at my gym couldn't tell me why at the time, now I know from here. I love cardio and I honestly don't think it will hurt by doing what you like to do but to get the right balance add strength.

In your case the main reason for the high body fat percentage is the lack of muscle. Reasons are lack of resistance training + inadequate protein intake. As for cardio, the problem arises when you OVERDO it & coupled with a calorie deficit, it will put your body in catabolic state (muscle burning while retaining fat) & so the result will be a body with a low or normal BMI but high body fat percentage also known as skinny-fat. While we cannot avoid losing both fat & muscle on a deficit but resistance training helps us minimize muscle loss because it signals our bodies that it needs to retain muscle mass & letting go of fat.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I have done no less than 6 days of cardio for the past 3 years, have been in a calorie deficit, lift weights 3 days a week, and take 1 rest day and have went from:

This fat guy:

2009May2.jpg

To this 250 lb. guy:

DSCF0590.jpg

pretty sure I have burnt up alot of fat, even gained alittle muscle, and am pretty sure I am not fat now... Have alot of loose skin LOL but not fat..... So OP now you won't get fat doing cardio..... Best of Luck

WoW go you :)
  • Redskins76
    Redskins76 Posts: 68
    Options
    Cardio does not make you fat but is is good tool to incorporate weight lifting with it to lose weight and gain muscle! COME ON YALL! lol.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My experience of doing a lot of cardio with no strength or resistance training was pretty dire for my mountain biking. I had endurance but not the strength to yank my bike over rocks and roots and withstand prolonged downhilling. I got more injuries.

Now mixing strength training and cardio and good nutrition, I'm getting faster and better on the bike but without losing my muscle that allows me to withstand the rigours of off roading.

Weight isn't coming off fast, but this is the long game and a lifestyle change not a crash diet or about being thin. Depends what your goals are, what sport you want to excel at and how you want to look.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think that only cardio makes you fat. I think that if you don't combine it with weight training you will have a higher percentage of fat. I was only 10 pounds away from my goal and basically only did cardio but my fat % was high. The PT at my gym couldn't tell me why at the time, now I know from here. I love cardio and I honestly don't think it will hurt by doing what you like to do but to get the right balance add strength.

In your case the main reason for the high body fat percentage is the lack of muscle. Reasons are lack of resistance training + inadequate protein intake. As for cardio, the problem arises when you OVERDO it & coupled with a calorie deficit, it will put your body in catabolic state (muscle burning while retaining fat) & so the result will be a body with a low or normal BMI but high body fat percentage also known as skinny-fat. While we cannot avoid losing both fat & muscle on a deficit but resistance training helps us minimize muscle loss because it signals our bodies that it needs to retain muscle mass & letting go of fat.

Agree
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Two types of people here. First are those training to excel at sport and second are those training to admire themselves in the mirror.

We don't speak the same language.

Best response ever!
    Common misconception. The body actually generally prefers getting rid of muscle to fat in the context of cardiovascular exercise (unless you are someone who won the genetic lotto, or are taking performance enhancing drugs, in which case what are you doing on this site?!). Think about it... a pound of muscle yields at most 600 calories of usable energy. A pound of fat yields 3500. The body say "OMG I have to run to survive, and I have to lose a pound of something"... guess which one it's going to pick?

Would you care to back this up with something other than your scrawny upper body cyclist anecdote? Everything I've ever read suggests that low intensity cardio burns primarily calories from fat and higher intensity burns carbohydrates from glycogen and fat.

Also, I know that this is a really old argument, but the logic that the body would choose to use the low energy yield material over the high energy yield material is seriously flawed - why choose the thing that you have to burn about 6 x as much of to get the same energy yield?
  • jennpf
    jennpf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    WOW! GOOD FOR YOU! You look great! :smile:
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    What a load of BS. I am living proof that you can lose weight just by doing cardio.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    seems the more cardio I do...the more my stomach goes down, and drinking about 10 glasses a water a day:)