HELP!!!! Picky bf..

Options
13»

Replies

• AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I assume you've shared some meals while dating. What did you do then?

I love the suggestions of finely chopping/blending some veggies into meals. I've done that a few times, too, and it worked nicely. There are 3 of us in the house and all 3 of us like only a few vegetables - and few of those are in common. So pureeing carrots or spinach into other sauces has eliminated the wrinkled noses and they discovered they could tolerate some veggies that way ;)
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    my brother don't either. used to bug me growing up watching my mom cater to him like he was some little prince or something!!!!!
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Cook separate or make a couple dishes you like, some of which he may eat as well, and then he can make whatever else he wants to fill his plate. My dad is far pickier. He just eats buffalo burgers 6 days a week and a roast on Sundays. Every week...
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    for all you "tell him to grow up" "he's not a kid anymore" responses....

sometimes people legitimately do not like vegetables. I'm one of those people. While I want to like them, and am trying to learn various ways to include them in my diet (i like the pureed idea!), eating some vegetables (cooked every way I know of) literally make me want to gag, and I almost do. Now i'm sure that's an extreme response, and it's going to take me a while to figure out a way to get over it. BUT, that being said, people not eating veggies doesn't always mean they're just being stupid and never grew up from their childhood junkfood. people have different taste buds, and taste differently. a lot of veggies taste really bitter to me, but my parents and siblings never taste that.

i think all the ideas about sneaking them into foods are good. or let him eat around them. no need to make it a big deal. if he can't handle that, then i'd say you guys should sit down and talk it out. maybe he wouldn't mind making his own meals, or supplementing some sides for when you make veggies.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    My bf is the same way. I cook because he works and I don't. When people say "Just let him get his own food," they don't always understand that sometimes cooking dinner is all I can contribute! But as far as veggies go, you just have to find which ones he WILL eat. Like, my bf ended up adoring zucchini and asparagus when I put it on the grill! I do a lot of the "hiding" veggies into foods too. And really, if nothing else, just always at least have a veggie there as an option for him to try at dinner.
  • brigid0113
    brigid0113 Posts: 16
    Options
    Meat, veggie, carb. If he doesn't want the veggie, so what?? Spaghetti, salad. If he doesn't eat the salad, It dsoesn't hurt anyone. I have been married to a picky eater for 12 years. I don't care what he eats. If you cater to him now, you always will!!

This. I make my husband cook for himself because he's so picky. Once a week or so I make him eat whatever we're having just so he'll try something new. But he always ends up making mac n cheese or grilled cheese later on.
  • heatherhb55
    Options
    Although it would be great if you could just tell him eat his veggies or make his own food, that’s not how relationships work. Making two meals is a pain and takes away a fun part of living together, cooking together is fun.

I understand what you are up against. I used to hate veggies up until a few years ago. So here is what I did, I started adding vegetables to things I did liked, such as pasta with bell peppers, hamburgers with tomatoes and avocado or veggies on pizza ect. Hiding the vegetable taste really helped. Another suggestion I liked was treating it like a picky kid. Do some research on strategies for getting kids to eat veggies, you might find some fun recipes.

Another thing that might help is considering dips. Dipping veggies into something or top it with something. Someone mentioned carrots and honey that sounds good to me especially with broiled carrots, I might try that. I would start with things like celery with peanut butter, broccoli and velvita cheese, tomatoes with mozzarella on a cracker or bread, stick it in the toaster oven. I also really like steamed broccoli and with marinara sauce and feta cheese mixed together, it's really good and low cal.

Also try dressings. We really like poppy seed dressing, creaser, ranch and thousand island. I know it seems like it defeats the point but it really is about getting the palette acclimated to veggies and making them likable. Also remember that veggies with marinara are still way better for you than spaghetti and meatballs.

My point is you have to introduce them slowly, find ways to make them something you both enjoy. My boyfriend and I moved in together a year ago and there are a few things I love that he can't stand and vice vers so you have to learn to compromise or make things you both like.
  • ChelSleeve
    ChelSleeve Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Okay I appreciate all of the responses in support of my wanting to eat healthy.. but I would appreciate it even more if this didn't turn into a thread of you all bashing my bfs choice of not eating veggies.. he's an adult as am I.. I posted this thread to get ideas for healthier food that would fit both mine and his palates and what we like to eat.. thank you..
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Okay I appreciate all of the responses in support of my wanting to eat healthy.. but I would appreciate it even more if this didn't turn into a thread of you all bashing my bfs choice of not eating veggies.. he's an adult as am I.. I posted this thread to get ideas for healthier food that would fit both mine and his palates and what we like to eat.. thank you..

Exactly!
  • ChelSleeve
    ChelSleeve Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Exactly!

Thank you