Low Carb

Options
2»

Replies

• 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm with Megan & Bill. I've been doing low carb (keto) since Thanksgiving and feel amazing! I've dropped 15 pounds and no longer crave any chocolate, chips, or carbs in general. But it works for me because I'm an all or nothing person. If you tell me I can have something in moderation, you might as well hand me the box of Cheez-Its.

Good luck! You can do it. My best advice for you is to read, read, and read some more to be confident in the best decision for you! Feel free to add me as well.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You can download the Atkins app for free. It will tell you how and why it works and what is acceptable for each phase. Makes it easy. When you log your food on here, add the word "carbs" to your search and it will pull up all the items with net carbs or adjusted carbs, you know...with the fiber and sugar alcohols already subtracted.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Depends on your activity level. people burning more calories by working out can have a higher intake of carbs and still get comparable results to individuals cutting their carbs further. I think you should think about WHY you want to do low carb though.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    When going low-carb at first:

-Don't avoid the salt (in order to avoid the "low-carb flu");
    -Up your fat intake (preferably with natural fats like coconut, lard, butter, ghee, olive oil vs. corn, soybean, cottonseed, canola) to avoid rabbit starvation;
    -Avoid foods with marketing claims like "reduced fat" or "low-fat"--usually these are higher in sugar than the non-diet version of the same product, and these are almost always highly processed.
    -Log your food (especially, if this is the first time doing low-carb, it's an eye-opening experience at first to realize how much hidden sugar and starch are in foods nowadays, even in some grocery meats)
    -Keep your net carbs (total carbs - fiber) between 0g and 20g for two weeks so your body fully adapted to burning stored body fat instead of burning sugar. The body can't effectively due both simultaneously.
    -Progressively learn how to make your own low-carb meals from home in order to save costs and have better quality ingredients.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a great low carb resource for those just starting out. I think the key to eating low carb is to concentrate on eating real food and avoiding all of the processed diet foods. If you do that and follow the loose guidelines laid out for you, you can just let your carbs fall where they will naturally eating some fruit and as many non-starchy vegetables as you want -- you should be well under a 100g doing that.

Wait a few weeks and see how you feel. If you're still hungry all the time and have to snack between meals lower your carbs again and see how you make out.

LCHF for Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf