Soooo HUNGRY!

Options
Okay, so this whole life style change is a new journey for me. I am 30 5'3 and a whopping 285 pounds but started out at 302 about 3 months ago.

Only recently have I found myself feeling incredibly motivated to lose weight and I don't see it stopping any time soon. Prior to 3 months ago I was a naughty girl and ate once a day at supper time (usually a large helping) but as of the past week and a half I have been eating 3 meals a day plus a snack. I have been eating healthy meals and snacks such as plain salad, fruits etc.

I am not a big eater to begin with so this is a huge change for me but I have never been this hungry before even when I was not eating 3 meals and only the 1 I only got hungry around supper time but now that I am eating I am always hungry even after I have eaten something like I could keep eating more and more lol but I don't I just grab a glass of water.

As an example only about an hour and a half ago I had a large helping of "Compliments salad" and threw in about 1/4 can of tuna with some celery, mushrooms and cucumber put a tiny bit of olive oil, a smidgon of salt and pepper. THEN according to this site I am not getting enough calorie intake in a day so I ate a whole bunch of watermelon and here we are an hour and a half later and I am feeling hungry again. Is this normal?

How is it even possible to eat the calorie intake it says I need? I am short about 1000 calories for the day this means I have to be constantly shoving my face with food? Even if it is healthy food?! I am so confused lol.

How can I bring my calorie intake up without over eating or eating the wrong things? I have changed my portion size to about the same maybe a bit more than my daughter (at dinner time) but because we are starch people (pastas, rice) I know this is a big problem and I am afraid of eating too much starch so I have been having a plain salad with supper in place of a heaping serving of side dishes.

I'm also getting about 45 min of slow walk time in a day plus I am on my feet all day and then in the evenings I do about 20-30 min of minimal exercise.

Any advice is appreciated because I want to do things right this time. Thanks all.

Nikki

Replies

• ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Proteins (preferably lean ones) and fiber help me feel full for longer. I make sure to get plenty of both during any meal or snack. There are also healthy foods that are higher in calories, like nuts, for example.

Fruits and vegetables are something that are good to round out your meals with or to use to snack on in between meals, but I learned a long time ago that to have an entire meal of strictly veggies was setting me up for a snack very soon. Even if you just added some grilled chicken and some cheese (in moderation) to your salad, I think you would notice quite a difference.

Shoot me a message or friend me (then you can check my diary), if you have further questions. :smile:
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Try eating a greater amount of protein. Tuna is good but you can have more of that or chicken etc. Protein will help you feel fuller for longer.

Your body may just be adjusting to your new healthier routine.

I am no expert so do want to offer you any advice that could be wrong, however I would say if you are still hungry and haven't met your calorie allowance then the simple thing is to eat some more!

I am sure someone else here can give you some more constructive advice, but I wish you luck.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    It's a struggle to eat enough to keep your metabolism going. Here's what I'd consider. Start the day in the morning with your carbs. Eat them in the morning so that you have that to fuel your day. Eat every 2-3 hours from the time you wake up. You need to trick your body into wanting to eat. This will help you to burn more fat and let your body use the good foods to fuel your daily life, while burning the stored fats.

I'm not an expert and you will get many opinions. Take it for what it is. Do what is right for you. I'd avoid eating too many fruits as they have lots of fruit sugars, but instead choose berries rather than watermelon. Find what works for you and just do it.
    Good luck!!

I have my food diary open to friends. If you would like, add me and you can see what I mean about food choices, and eating frequently.
  • Brdrclymom
    Brdrclymom Posts: 13
    Options
    I am with you! I am 44, 5'2" and 238 pounds. I am going through a doctor's office for help with weight loss (6 weeks of a weekly b12 injection and 28 days of phentermine to kick start my metabolism) low calories (1000-1200 per day), high protein, low carbs. I am making foods according to some recipes they have given me, but in 3 days of dieting i cannot make my 1000 calorie mark. I too, am scared of the wrong things. I want to add more snacks such as fruits and veggies but I don't know the difference between "good" and "bad" carbs. I'm not really hungry, but I'm not used to eating lots (I just eat the wrong things). Any help you get would help me too. Good Luck!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You're complaining that you don't know how to get enough calories, and also that you're hungry all the time? Seems like an easy fix.
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki,
    Well, I suppose it depends on what foods you're eating now. I've found that if I have a salad, with plenty of green veg, leafy greens etc. for lunch or dinner, or even both, then I do tend to become altogether more hungry...and sooner. I don't know exactly what your diet's like now, but maybe you should try incorporating more calorie dense healthy foods, like avocado, peanut butter etc. Maybe also try incorporating food that's high in fibre and protein, that way you'll be fuller for longer. If you want some rice/pasta, then go for it, though just have the wholewheat kind. I try to have (at least) one serving of protein/fibre in each meal that I have, so then hopefully I'd be fuller for longer.

I hope that this helped a little?

Jess
    x
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm with all of the people whose replies I read already. Nuts, beans, cheeses, nut butter, soy milk, eggs, Greek yoghurt, and meats are a great way to feel full. They compliment the fruits and veggies you're eating and help vary your diet!

I also would say that if you're significantly under as you say, you should be eating more. You're a carb-loving family, and there's no reason why you can't switch the entire family to whole grains and pasta so that you can eat some yourself! If you like it, then I don't see why you should cut it out entirely. If you feel deprived then the weight loss won't be easy to maintain.

Try to eat a bit more if you're hungry. Just because dairy and meat options aren't fruit or veg doesn't mean they're bad for you if you choose the right kinds and eat in moderation!

Also, if you're exercising that much (45 minutes, on your feet all day, 30 minutes), that's a lot of calorie burn! You should be eating some of that back to fuel your body! I know it seems strange, but don't feel bad for eating good food when you're hungry and giving yourself energy when you exercise that much.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat lots of protein and good fats with fresh fruits and veggies.
    dont be afraid of high calorie meals. i personally dont see the need for me to eat 5-6 small meals a day so i go with 3 large ones. my calorie goal is anywhere from 1550-1950, so individual meals tend to me high calorie

for instance one of my favorite breakfasts is crustless quiche made with whole eggs, ground turkey, spinach, onions and brocolli with a side spinach salad with cucumbers, avocado slices, blueberries, cherry tomatoes and feta cheese. all together that's 500-800 calories depending on how much avocado i use and how big of a quiche slice i eat. i'm usually not hungry again until like 5 hours later.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Tuna is good but you can have more than 1/4 cup of tuna or chicken etc. I would probably still be hungry if I only ate 1/4 of a can. Protein will help you feel fuller for longer. I am eating all day long so I sometimes get hungry, but never starving for stuff. You're welcome to friend me and look at my diary. If you eat for instance like I do: breakfast at 8:00, snack at 10:00, lunch at 12:00, snack at 2:00 and dinner around 6:00 like I do, it's rare that I am every really hungry or ever want anything that is unhealthy. I do incorporate the nuts or peanut butter with an apple ideas. Those are great suggestions. It will take some adjusting. Friend me and I can help you along the way if you wish. Good luck.
  • dreamsofescaping
    dreamsofescaping Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You're complaining that you don't know how to get enough calories, and also that you're hungry all the time? Seems like an easy fix.

Hehe, I know it is a contridiction. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I eat a lot but it's mainly veggies. Sorry to seem as though I was complaining, this was not my intention.
  • dreamsofescaping
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much! I didn't know that protien is a filler. I think I will have to check out some of these food journals because I am not big on eating and this shoving something in my mouth every couple of hours is crazy lol. Thank you everyone I really appreciate the tips and will take them to heart. :)

~Nik~
  • Brdrclymom
    Brdrclymom Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas. I am not so much hungry all of the time, I am eating quite a bit, but I have a problem putting full meals together. I am supposed to be on high protein and low carbs, I am afraid of wrong carbs. I also don't enjoy cooked vegetables so much, so I need to find something I can do as sides to my meats, that is why I am not hitting my calories. I did lose 4 pounds the first week, I have a follow up with my doctor next week to see if I can start adding low carb breads or pastas to my diet. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but didn't think I would ever say "I can't eat calories!". hahahaaa
  • dreamsofescaping
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas. I am not so much hungry all of the time, I am eating quite a bit, but I have a problem putting full meals together. I am supposed to be on high protein and low carbs, I am afraid of wrong carbs. I also don't enjoy cooked vegetables so much, so I need to find something I can do as sides to my meats, that is why I am not hitting my calories. I did lose 4 pounds the first week, I have a follow up with my doctor next week to see if I can start adding low carb breads or pastas to my diet. I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but didn't think I would ever say "I can't eat calories!". hahahaaa

haha, well good for you though on your success so far!! I still don't know what kind of a "diet" I should be on I am eating a ton of veggies though. Maybe fresh veggies on the side of your plate instead of cooked? :-) More nutrients this way.