Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Hey guys! We joined a gym last weekend and have gone Mon-Sat, taking a break today. While the exercise has been a welcome change to our otherwise inactive lives, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. From the initial weigh in at the time we joined, to the weigh in yesterday, I've gained 4 pds!? I'm trying to lose 100 for now and playing it by ear on how I look/feel once I get to that goal. My SO has gained 5pds as well.

When we're working out, we do 10 min of moderate effort cardio, 10 min of weights focusing on arms, 10 min moderate effort cardio, 10 min of weights focusing on legs, 10 min moderate effort cardio, and 10 min of focusing on abs. This seems to work nicely for us--keeping a change of pace prevents us from getting bored doing one thing for too long at a time. We were pretty sore by Wed & Thurs, but that's gone away now.

We've been trying to eat something every couple hours and I've been keeping mine around 1500 (not including anything burnt while exercising). I'm not to the healthy diet point I want to be at, but am taking baby steps and slowly incorporating healthier foods.

I'm curious why the weight gain? I've been averaging a gain of 4 pds since we joined, but have gone up as much as 8 pds one day. It doesn't make sense to me and have no idea where it's coming from. Is this normal when someone starts a workout regimen for the first time. Also, I am very overweight and have been drinking a ton more water than I was used to, so I wonder if it's just water retention?

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    I started Insanity this week and the same thing happened to me. What I read online is that your muscles become a little inflamed and swollen when they retain fluid as they try to repair themselves, especially when you first start a new workout program. If you are working out and sticking to your calorie goal that's probably all it is :)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    What I read online is that your muscles become a little inflamed and swollen when they retain fluid as they try to repair themselves, especially when you first start a new workout program.

exactamundo
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It's vey commn to gain a couple of pounds when you start a new workout routine because sore muscles absorb water to help them heal. Drink plenty of fluids and you should see the scale move in the right direction soon.
  • perenial52
    perenial52 Posts: 14 Member
    when you start exercising you do gain weight because your muscles weigh more than our fat does it takes about 2 weeks before you see any difference in weight loss but you will see inch losses just keep watch of the food you eat and dont eat anymore than you normally do and you should see a difference in a couple of weeks great job davidsonsharon@rocketmail .com perenial52
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    To directly answer your question, yes.

Holy *kitten* yes, reading your post rustled my jimmies on several levels.

It's okay though, all of it can be fixed. Step 1: Read this thingy http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh's_Worksheet_(WIP)

Thoroughly, if you followup with a question contained in that document Santa will bring you coal for Christmas.

Now to address a couple things you mentioned. You used the word "average" in regards to your weight gains and you joined a gym a week ago....stop that, stop it now. You don't need to be weighing yourself every day as first; it is unnecessary, second, you will drive yourself bonkers with what is the usual expected fluctuation in day to day weight of any human being. If you are exercising you will retain more water than normal for shorter periods, your muscles fill with blood etc.

Pick a day of the week, weigh in, and do it again at the same time next week. Rinse, repeat, add bleach etc. I weigh in Friday mornings right when I wake up.

Your routine...scares me. Apparently you are a gerbil and thus may be easily bored or distracted or something but you'll need to focus on not doing something so all over the place. This can be fixed though, hope is not lost. Don't do weird mixing up of muscle groups if you weight lift, you need a routine; nothing complex there, and split it up into three days.

If you tell me you don't want to lift weights too much because you'll get big, I will slap you, and tell you to read that document again.

As an example, my routine is split up between Monday (Chest/Tris),Wed (Shoulders/Biceps), Friday (Back, oh god back, and core), with generally 40-60 minutes of lifting and 20-30 minutes of light cardio after. I do stuff on other days, but ready my diary if you want to have a look. Currently there is little to no leg work as A) I am working through a foot injury and B) I'm coming down from 400lbs, my legs have had plenty of work carrying my *kitten* around.

Drink water, eat relatively clean, lift heavy, take a mulivitamin and some fish oil. Don't bother supplementing any else except maybe Vitamin D (most people are deficient).

Most of this is covered in the document I linked anyway. Keep at it.