Diet Tips

Options
Hi guys,

I'm new to the board. I want to loose a few pounds. My current weight is 155 and I'm 5'2''. I want to go down to 125 and even lower to 115 if I really get my weight loss going.

I started going to the gym again. On my first day back I worked out for 30 minutes and got 300 calories away. Today I went to the gym again and worked for an hour loosing 730 calories. I only use the elliptical machines. I started reading the newbie stickies and found that it's recommended you should eat the calories you excercise. I'm a bit confused.

See my plan is to go work out 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes. I'm trying to watch what I eat. I'm trying to eat only 1k-1200 calories in a day. Is this safe???

I want to loose weight the right way.

Also, can you guys recommend me some good drinks besides water and green tea? I love water and green tea, but sometimes I get the urge to drink a coke. I want to stay away from those, so what else do you guys recommend? Are the powerade zero good? I heard it taste really weird though.

What do you guys recommend I do, so I can effectively loose weight? I would be so happy just to go down to 125lbs, so please any input is welcome.

What do you guys usually eat for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner? I know everyone is different, but at home the people I live with eats rice almost everyday. I'm trying to stay away from that.

Thank you :blushing:

Replies

• Chickiebabe151
    Options
    100 is too low. You need to stay at 1200. I have been working out so hard...running 5 miles a day, gym for 1.5 hours a day, and workout videos a few times a week. I am losing so slow and I think it's because I am eating most of my calories. Yes, this site tells you to eat them but I disagree. You really need to play around with calories and see what works best for you.

I do a smoothie for breakfast or plain oatmeal.

For drinks try sparklin water, they have different flavors. Try to stay away from diet coke and artifical sweetners.

To lose weight the right way they say you need to lose a pound a week. There are many reasons why losing faster will make you gain it right back, so aim for that. Yes, it seems slow but it will be worth it in the end when it stays off. I havent even been losing that!

I just read Mastoring Your Matabolism by Jillian Michaels. I thought it was a great book. If you're into reading about diet and nutrition I really reccomend it.
  • getfitter2009
    Options
    Hi Binky

First of all definitely do not continue with eating only a 1000 per day. What happens is if you eat less than around 1200 calories the body goes into starvation mode, which means that even when you exercise the body will hold on to the fat deposts as it thinks that it will not get enough fuel to work. I found it dificult to get my head around the factt that you have to eat more to lose weight. I personally have gone from eating around 3500 calories per day down to between 1400 - 1800 a day (6'4).

My general diet goes like this: Breakfast Beans on wholemeal bread, yogurt, watermelon. Lunch: Jacket potato/beans/cheese or pasta bake (small portion) and fruit or tuna mayo on brown. Dinner: fish or chiken and salad and occasionally red meat. once a week i eat what i want for dinner (but still no fried food)

I see it like this, i workout 4 times a week for 2 hrs per time and i eat ok, so if i want a choclate bar (which i dont really eat anymore) or somthing else i will just eat it.

You can also eat brown rice if your friends eats it alot, it has the roughly the same amount of calories as white, but is a 1oo times better for you. On a normal size plate just have Half salad or veg, a quarter meat and a quarter rice, that should balance out fine.

I drink mixed juice with water if i want something other than water or green tea.

Also to burn maximum calories in the gym, you can do HIIT on the treadmill and do full body exersizes (eg sqauts with a shoulder press).

I hope this helps and good luck on your journey.