hungry at bedtime

Options
love MFP and I am losing weight slowly so determind to stick with it. One problem is I get very hungry at bedtime then find it difficult to sleep. Any tips?? I'm only on 1200 calories all used by bedtime. Feel starving now ...........:blushing:

Replies

• iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    im new and am having the same problem....ive been hungry, and having a hard time falling asleep and then when i finally do, I have had very restless sleeps. I dont feel tierd the next day however....have lots of energy.
  • odmadden2
    odmadden2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I once read that eating a healthy big breakfast, breaks your fast from the nightly sleep. In this article, it stated that if you eat within 45 minutes of waking up, it actually gives you energy. I put it to the test and I do have more energy when I do this (when I do this)!

Another way to quench my hunger at night is to drink water. If that doesn't work, I drink it while I do a chore.
  • loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    If your that hungry that it's impacting your sleep then have a pre bedtime snack, lack of sleep will slow weight loss much more than a small 100 or so calorie snack.
    besides, 1200 is pretty low, so an extra snack will be just fine.
  • argyllgal
    argyllgal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies, i do feel good in the morning when i manage to resist, but also like to sleep well. So will have some water and small apple.. and hopefully snooze peacefully without obsessing about food ....
  • pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree that you should have a snack. I generally eat 1200 calories a day during the week but more during the weekend mostly due to imbibing. :) It's not a lot of calories and I save a 100 or so for an evening snack.
  • DMZH78
    DMZH78 Posts: 42
    Options
    If your hungry and can't get sleep then you can have a snack but it is best to make that snack a protein.

If you can do it, don't eat anything and only drink some water. This is just your body getting used to the limited calories and realizing it needs to "feed" off of itself. Your body has been so used to the over indulgent amount of calories and has to be reprogrammed to something else. DON'T GIVE UP! YOU CAN DO IT! This will go away after some time and you will find that making much better choices of foods will help you stay fuller longer (lots of fiber helps great with this).

Best Luck!
  • Beatrix0810
    Beatrix0810 Posts: 138
    Options
    Just have a couple of spoonfulls of cottage cheese! Loaded with protein, a few spoonfulls won't break your calorie budget too much, and cottage cheese makes you feel fuller longer. Just try that and I'll bet you see a difference. Also, you don't want to starve our body too much, it will start eating muscle before it starts eating the fat and the muscle is the stuff you want to keep! Good luck!
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Why only 1,200 calories? Are you a tiny person? How much are you losing per week? If you aren't tiny, you can go up a bit with little risk. Just keep tracking to make sure you keep losing.

Also, try noting the times and feelings of hunger on your food log, along with when you last ate and what you last ate.

I noticed that I needed more calories in protein at supper time and that I HAD to cut 200 calories somewhere else, because I WAS going to eat at bedtime, no matter what! I generally save my exercise calories for my bedtime snack.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    man I love being hungry at bedtime--it actually makes it easier for me to sleep b/c I'm so drained. But if you're truly hungry (not just munchy, like I often am) and it's uncomfortable, just let yourself have a slice of toast or some peanut butter. You can do it!