mexican choices?

Options
My husband is taking me to a Mexican restaurant tonight - does anyone have any ideas on a low calorie meal? I want to enjoy what I can but no break the bank with thousands of calories . . . .

Replies

• Deb1971
    Deb1971 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I will usually get the fajitas eat only tortilla and skimp on the cheese. I eat the rest of the chicken and grilled veggies with the guacamole(sp) not completely healthy but not a deep fried chimichanga either.
    Hope this helps. Have fun.:happy:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bean buritos are usually lower in fat and calaries. pass on the cheese to save even more cals. Chicken tacos would also be another healthier option. Don't eat the nachos unless they are baked, alot of hidden cals there.
  • JenSteck
    JenSteck Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lot of hidden calories in the beans too...I know my favorite Mexican restaurant puts lard in theirs...tasty, but fattening.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    Fajitas, they are my go to. Eat all the veggies and pass on the rice and beans.
  • Jabreezy
    Options
    Found this on yahoo health today:

Mexican

Lower-fat choices: black bean or tortilla soups, gazpacho, ceviche, bean or chicken burritos and enchiladas, grilled shrimp, Mexican rice, tortillas, salsa

Limit these: nachos, queso (cheese), carne asada, cheese enchiladas, chimichangas, flautas (fried taquitos), guacamole, refried beans. You also might want to forgo those often greasy chips they bring you at the beginning of the meal, which could pack on more calories than the entrée!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I stick with a black bean burrito if available and because restaurant portions are sooo big, in size and calories usually, my husand is kind enough to split with me. usually half is more than enough, if not I come home and have an apple or some fruit if after a couple of hours I am still hungry.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    chicken fajitas
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Chicken fajitas but skip the tortillas and go easy on the cheese. Pico's always good and healthy IF you can eat it - our local Mexi place makes nuclear-hot pico:explode: :explode: , so I have to skip it!:laugh: Salsa's a good choice too, just limit the number of chips you have with it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, fajitas are good, also salsa, if they have dirty rice made with long grain rice that's good, or you can go with a burrito but make sure they don't put sauce or sour cream or guacamole on it, just ask them to make it with meat, salsa, lettuce, and onions and peppers (some places call this a fajitas burrito). It's the sauces, the chips, and the beans that'll kill ya. The beans in and of themselves aren't bad, but like stated earlier, it's how they cook them that are mega bad.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like to get a chicken taco salad, but with no shell, cheese, sour cream, or dressing.

Basically, it is a chicken salad with onions, tomatoes, peppers, and salsa with about 2 tablespoons of guacamole for some healthy fat. It's crazy tasty. :happy:
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    I vote for eating the guac at an authentic Mexican place. Why? Because guac is an amazing source of dietary fat and it fills the cheese and sour cream void. Also, load up on the fresh pico de gallo. Yum.

Like others said, skip the crappy rice and bean fillers and aim for a delicious fajita plate of grilled meat and vegetables.

Watch the funny reaction you get when you tell them to ditch the tortillas, rice and beans :D
  • JERRI5672
    Options
    WOW! I can believe all the responses! Thank you guys - great advice to take in!
    Thanks for the smart answers and tips! Hope everyone has a great Friday!