Beyond frustrated and need answers please

Options
I keep gaining weight. It doesn’t matter what I eat or how active I am.

I’m 5’4 and currently (and embarrassingly) 173lbs.

From what I’ve done in calculations, my BMR is 1600-ish. If I wanted to maintain my weight, the internets tell me that I need 2200. (I don't)

How is it that if I eat about 1400-1500 calories daily that I am packing on pounds like no tomorrow.

Since march 1st, I have gained 23lbs. This can’t be normal, right?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Go see your dr..
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This site tells you to eat 2200 calories a day? I am kind of near your height and weight, and need 1200?? I am trying to diet rather than maintain, but I can't imagine it would go up that much for maintenance.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yeh, see you're doctor.
  • VickieZureich
    VickieZureich Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How much salt, sugar and white flour products are you eating? It makes a huge difference just by taking these three things out of your diet to lose....believe me I know.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've seen my doctor. They've tested my blood levels. Only thing the doc said to me was move more and eat even less.
  • One_Undone
    Options
    I don't know how active you are, but if you drop your calorie count below a certain point, such as by reducing your intake too quickly, your body can actually go into starvation mode and hold onto every calorie it can, because it believes you're starving.

If nothing else has helped, you could try increasing your intake by 100 or 200 calories a day and keep doing the same level of activity and see if it makes a difference. Once your body believes it has what it needs, it won't be reluctant to burn excess calories.
  • punkybrewster88
    punkybrewster88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. I was stalled at weight loss, even gaining as well and I added back in weightlifting (which I wasn't doing to to injury/laziness) and lo and behold I started losing (have to note that I added more protein to my diet as well). Have found that is key for me.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I've seen my doctor. They've tested my blood levels. Only thing the doc said to me was move more and eat even less.

Did he test whether possible pregnancy? Maybe some kind of cyst growth that contributed to weight?
    You've already done a great job and lost loads. Perhaps need to decrease calories a little more.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    If I'm pregnant, it'd be immaculate conception. lol

and I generally try to aim for 1400-1500.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    If I'm pregnant, it'd be immaculate conception. lol

and I generally try to aim for 1400-1500.

LOL! How much did you eat to lose the 70 pounds?
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    See another doctor. If you feel like something is wrong, then find someone who will listen. Take it from someone who suffered far too long and ended up with serious consequences: doctors are fallible just like the rest of us. Blood tests aren't everything, not even close. Unless you're four feet tall or something, you shouldn't rapidly gain such a huge amount of weight on 1400 calories (and even then I have my doubts). Please get a second opinion.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    have you tried low carb?
    cal restriction didn't work for me either.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    I was probably eating closer to 1300 at that point. I upped it a bit because living at home now, 1300 is too low with the type of food there is to eat here.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

Really??? Did they check your thyroid? 1400-1500 calories with exercise might not be enough food, but it shouldn't cause you to gain that much weight, especially if you're exercising. Maybe a second opinion might be in order?? Wish you the best :flowerforyou:
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    have you tried low carb?
    cal restriction didn't work for me either.

I've never tried low carb per say. But I try not to over eat breads, and I don't really eat pasta. I love fruit though.
  • saracambell
    Options
    Have your thyroid checked.
  • kristenn1989
    Options

Really??? Did they check your thyroid? 1400-1500 calories with exercise might not be enough food, but it shouldn't cause you to gain that much weight, especially if you're exercising. Maybe a second opinion might be in order?? Wish you the best :flowerforyou:

Yep. they checked multiple different thyroid levels.
  • NotReadyForMomJeans
    NotReadyForMomJeans Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have they tested for hypothyroidism? It certainly makes me gain (despite best efforts to the contrary - when not at my correct synthroid dosage) and makes weight loss difficult. Your profile picture does not indicate you're a person with an extra 23 lbs of body weight....
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    are you taking any medications?
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should talk to a nutritionist.....you definitely shouldn't be gaining. I do think you're not getting enough calories...I think 1400-1600 for your height/weight is WAY TOO LITTLE...your body could be holding onto the fat because it's in starvation mode, which might explain why you're not losing. I would do more research or get a second opinion to make sure there's nothing medical going on, but I think you're calorie goal is too low.