Plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. I think you might be overestimating calories burned during your work outs. For example you have a couple 30 minutes walks burring 180 cal, which seems high. Plus 60 minutes weights 500 call - that is a very active weight session - supper sets with only 45 seconds break between reps. Are you drenched in sweat after lifting? - if not you probaly are not buring 500 cal per hr.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 7" and normally workout 7 days a week...

Personally I think you need to look more closely at the exercise calories you're adding back in. I'm 6' 2" and weigh 221 atm and my calorie intake today is about the same as yours. Granted I don't do exercise on Sunday but even when I do I don't try to eat it all back. I just add 250 for 30 min of cardio and I don't log calories from strength training. You probably need to add something in if your goal is just 1200 and you're doing hours of cardio but eating over 2000 calories a day isn't exactly a realistic goal if you're wanting to get down to 135.

One other point. 135 would be really lean for someone your height. Not saying that's too thin but that it's a high fitness level. Be realistic about how much fat you can take off when you're already in better shape than most the people here. You will have to be slightly more agressive and strict with your diet than someone looking to lose 50 lbs. You're not going to lose a pound every week and it's perfectly normal to go 2 weeks with no change in weight. Keep measuring and use the scale as a secondary tool. Sure you don't want to see it go up 8 lbs but sticking at that weight at your fitness level isn't a huge deal.

I posted a post awhile back, and was wondering if I should eat my exercise calories back, and everyone said yes! Because I was normally netting 600 calories... But I would be fine eating 1200 calories and not eating my exercise calories back :) too much food for me anyways! And I havent at over 2000 a day.. lol that would be hard!

And I get how its going to be harder for me since I don't have a lot of weight to lose. :(
  • kaylarachellee
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. I think you might be overestimating calories burned during your work outs. For example you have a couple 30 minutes walks burring 180 cal, which seems high. Plus 60 minutes weights 500 call - that is a very active weight session - supper sets with only 45 seconds break between reps. Are you drenched in sweat after lifting? - if not you probaly are not burring 500 cal per hr.

I am not counting my lifting calories... just cardio and I am using a heart rate monitor... a polar ft40 so it should be pretty acurate..
  • kaylarachellee
    Options
    Are you guys sure you're looking at my dairy... LOL
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options

The one I see had you eating 2129 calories. I'm 5 '11 195 and hike Mt Si in Issaquah today and didn't eat that much.
  • kaylarachellee
    Options

The one I see had you eating 2129 calories. I'm 5 '11 195 and hike Mt Si in Issaquah today and didn't eat that much.

You mean north bend? And this hike was way harder than mt. Si + little si combined... ;) Have you done mail box peak?.. It's a scramble! We did bandera mountain.. last half is a scramble, using my hands! I deserved the 2129 calories!
  • kaylarachellee
    Options

I can't see that day? What date?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

I can't see that day? What date?

Actually you just ate 1600 but it says your goal for today is over 2000. If your base is 1200 then you're adding back in nearly 1000 calories from exercise. Even if you don't eat it all that might cause you to go over in what you need.
    And I get how its going to be harder for me since I don't have a lot of weight to lose. :(
    That's because you're probably not trying to lose just weight. You're wanting to cut fat and keep the muscle you have more than anything. I'm right there in the same boat as you. I really don't want to lose any more weight. I just want my BF% down. This takes more patience than just cutting pounds. It's probably going to take me another month and I doubt the scale will move that much at all in that time. I've dropped about 1 pound in the last 2 weeks maybe but cut another half inch off my waist. That's serious progress even if the scale didn't move much. Start thinking more in terms of measurements and picture comparisons.

EDIT: Well maybe you want lose more weight. You can be more agressive if you're wanting to cut over 10 pounds but under that amount don't try to do it all too fast.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have you changed or increased the intensity of your exercise recently? You mentioned that your heart rate was at around 170 in your workouts. an average 170 heart rate indicates to me a VERY strenous workout. This coupled with the lack of food (you dont appear to be eating much back) puts the body in a lot of stress. Stress causes the release of hormones (like cortisol) which encourage the body to put a vice like grips on fat stores and protect them. Are you having trouble sleeping? Do your muscles feel constantly sore? Are you getting sick? do you feel tired a lot? Theres a chance that you might be pushing your body too hard. You might need to dial down a few of your workouts a week (some recovery workouts).

Last... i recommend a food scale to everyone. Make sure your measurements are accurate. (looking at your diary, however, there doesn't appear as much room for error as i see in other people's diaries.)