Good Mysteries to Read? Or Books in General?

Options
slcostel
slcostel Posts: 116 Member
Since I don't have TV or Netflix or anything, I do a lot of reading. Like, a LOT. They know me at the local library. But I'm at a loss what to read next, so I'd like some input.

I like mysteries, supernatural (ghosts, not stupid vampire/werewolf garbage), murder, etc. Maybe even a little romance here and there.

Here's what I've read lately (since May), so if you could look at this and give me some GUIDED suggestions, it'd be much appreciated.

1. The Help--Katheryn Stockett
2. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo--Stieg Larsson
3. Visions in Death--JD Robb (I love the In Death series, but I've read nearly all of it now :noway: )
4. Murder on the Orient Express-- Agatha Christie (HUGE fan of the Belgian Detective :love: )
5. Girl, Interrupted--Susanna Kaysen
6. Turn of the Screw--Henry James
7. Fahrenheit 451-- Ray Bradbury
8. The Golden Compass--Philip Pullman
9. These Happy Golden Years--Laura Ingalls Wilder
10. Three in Death--JD Robb
11. The Woman in Black--Susan Hill
12. The Fourth Bear--Jasper Fforde (I like the Nursery Crime detectives, are there more books featuring them?)

I recently attempted 1984 and Catch-22, and couldn't really get into either. 1984 just wasn't grabbing me, and Catch-22 needed to be returned before I could fully immerse myself.

So there ya have it. Any good ideas?

Replies

• chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
    1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
    When She Woke - Hillary Jordan (LOVED THIS!)
    Juliet - Anne Fortier
    The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
    The Winter Sea - Susanna Kearsley
    Fledgling - Octavia E. Butler
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You should get a goodreads.com account. I'm a big reader of adult, young adult and middle grade books. I read 300 books last year and got a good many of my recommendations from goodreads. You can also track your reading and mark books that you would like to read in the future. Tons of user reviews and connections to authors.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You should get a goodreads.com account. I'm a big reader of adult, young adult and middle grade books. I read 300 books last year and got a good many of my recommendations from goodreads. You can also track your reading and mark books that you would like to read in the future. Tons of user reviews and connections to authors.

I second this. I'm a member there, too, feel free to add me if you join!
    http://www.goodreads.com/chocl8girl
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I love Agatha Christie, especially anything with Poirot! I think I may have read them all at this point, sadly!
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    Not sure how mystery it is but it is a little i think but i loved The Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons! I think you'd enjoy them too
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Last month I read Defending Jacob by William Landay, and it is still making me think about it. It was a really good read.
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Have you read any or all of the Sherlock Holmes stories??
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseine. I found it to be very good! Happy reading :)
  • jstrou28
    jstrou28 Posts: 3
    Options
    Michael Connelly books in the Harry Bosch series are a good read for murder/mystery.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My two favourite authors right now:

Lee Child - any of the Reacher novels

Patricia Cornwell - any of the Scarpetta series (I have read them all an waiting for the next one to come out.

I also like James Patterson and his Cross series.

For light reading anything by Danielle Steel; I've recently read Legacy; Hotel Vendome; and A Good Women. I enjoyed all three.

Happy reading!
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    I"m a big Lee Child fan. I"m counting down until his next book comes out. September, I think.
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Our books are 83% similar according to goodreads. I see that you also liked Divergent and Insurgent. I just added you as a friend in goodreads!
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi. I love the In Death series for light reading! Ive read the whole series and am going through withdrawals waiting for the next book to come out. Lol

I also enjoy the political, action-y series by Vince Flynn about the CIA operative Mitch Rapp.

I think the Dan Brown books were well written, researched and interesting to read.

Have you ever read The Historian or The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova? Great reads.
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I Know This Much is True- Wally Lamb
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Seriously I'm a hugeeeee James Patterson fan! I got real sick and on bed rest a few years ago and my boyfriends mom let me borrow like a dozen books. I was hooked! I can go throughout a jp book in like three days they are so thrilling and such page turners you can put it down! Please do yourself a favor and read one or two or three dozen! That's the best part he writes so many! Plus there is the Alex Cross book series or the Women's Murder Club which is my favorite, think sex an the city meets CSI lol. I love that I can get invested in the character and there's like 11 Womens MC books so u can keep reading. Add me an let me know if u like them!
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Stupid iPod corrector! Supposed to say through a book and Can't put it down lol sorrryy
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I"m a big Lee Child fan. I"m counting down until his next book comes out. September, I think.

Your post turned me on to "Goodreads". I didn't know about it before...so thanks for that! Not only do we have books in common but if that is your dog in your picture, then we also have similiar dogs...LOL.

My daughter and grandson have borrowed some Lee Child books from me and now they are hooked to!
  • SherryTeach
    Options
    Yes, that is my dog! Abby just celebrated one year of being the head of household here. Not really. . . . I do make her sit quite nicely and wait for treats. But she is completely confounded by all treadmill action of the last 5 days, especially after seeing it as a place to park clothes for the entire previous year.

I wish I could read on my treadmill, but I just can't concentrate. Currently, I'm determined to only watch Mad Men on my iPad while I'm walking. No flopping on the bed to finish the episode.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Patricia Cronwell. Her books are very detailed and well written. Even though it's geared towards a younger audience, I'm hooked on the Hunger Games series. It's just suspenseful and twisted enough for an adult to enjoy.
  • p_e_wright
    p_e_wright Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Michael Connelly books in the Harry Bosch series are a good read for murder/mystery.

This!