cant get calories or i get sick

Options
Making a long story short...I'm on 1200 calories and its soooooo hard to get even that in. Today I cut my exercise time in half and managed to reach my goal. YAY ME!
Not. Everytime I meet my 1200 goal with my exercise I get violently ill. It doesn't matter if I eat 20 minutes or 30 or an hour or 3 hours after. I keep very hydrated. And hydrate throughout working out.

I know under 1200 is not recommended for anyone but do you think maybe my body is saying lighten up? Cut back? I couldn't eat more if I tried. I barely get that in.
Any ideas???
Its happened everytime, different foods make no difference. Each time I meet 1200 with exercise it happens.
Hmmmmm???

Replies

• albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    clearly, if you are here trying to lose weight, you had no problem meeting the 1200 calories in the past, so why is now any different? Add in a treat you used to enjoy, two tbs of peanut better is 190 calories.........and healthy fats and protein.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    See a doctor if eating makes you physically ill.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Maybe its psychological? Idk, I'd see a doctor.
  • AbzRocks
    AbzRocks Posts: 45
    Options
    I wish I had that problem instead of overeating, wanna swap!!! I feel pretty sick when I do a hard workout and don't feel like eating for a long time after but what you are describing seems unusual. You should probably get to ur gp.
  • mystinamarie
    mystinamarie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You're eating highly processed foods, and primarily empty carbohydrates. I'm not anti-carb in the least, but if you fill a day with white bread, mashed potatoes, and biscuits, then you aren't having a well-rounded diet.

Make a list of healthy foods that don't come from a box and then go grocery shopping. Fill your day with a variety of protein and nutrient packed, bright colored, foods.

You'll get to 1200 easily and you'll feel good.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    See a doctor if eating makes you physically ill.

I agree with this. See a doctor. You need to eat enough to fuel your body properly and if eating is making you sick, something isn't right. Especially if you're not eating a bizzillion calories (only trying to get up to 1200- which is too low for most people honestly). When you eat very little over a period of time your stomach capacity does shrink a bit, but it doesn't change the fact that you need calories to make your body run and avoid long term damage. It could be that you have something wrong with your stomach like an ulcer or reflux also, or possibly a food sensitivity. Those are things only a doctor can determine, so I wouldn't automatically listen to people who say it's okay to barely eat when they haven't given you a physical examination and don't know the whole picture.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch are low. If you're short of calories, there's someplace you could pick up a bit more.

Do you dislike veggies or just not happen to have had any?
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Is something going on in life right now? I know when I'm stressed out, I can't even THINK about food without puking.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You're eating highly processed foods, and primarily empty carbohydrates. I'm not anti-carb in the least, but if you fill a day with white bread, mashed potatoes, and biscuits, then you aren't having a well-rounded diet.

Make a list of healthy foods that don't come from a box and then go grocery shopping. Fill your day with a variety of protein and nutrient packed, bright colored, foods.

I should have fixed that in my food diary. They don't come from a box, can or mix. I make biscuits and potatoes and pancakes and all that stuff homemade. My 11 yr old wont eat it from a box. The bread too, homemade. Fresh this morning. (Hey! Exercise! )

I went to my doc last week with my concerns. She shrugged them off told me to join weight watchers and buy a measuring cup. When I said I had one she told me to "learn how to measure" I left crying. Got a referral to a dietician and gastric doc this Thurs. But regular doc more or less don't care.
    as for eating before and getting 1200 in ...I went thru liver treatment in 09 and lost 40 pounds in under a month. Then late '10 into '11 it came back but I still couldn't eat. So no, I've HAD food intake issues. I never could or have eaten a lot. Feeling better into '12 I want to get healthy and as of new years I gave up junk. Pop went in Jan too. April I tore my ACL. May was surgery. Still in therapy. I have a cyst inside my spinal cord. But I do the best I can.
    Eating is a struggle. So please don't think I'm starving myself if I say I can't eat 1200 ...I force it and get sick...and. my GP doesn't care.
    and I don't eat canned biscuits or bought breads...all homemade :) not processed ..my kid would starve! (I even make homemade butter) yum!
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options

I should have fixed that in my food diary. They don't come from a box, can or mix. I make biscuits and potatoes and pancakes and all that stuff homemade. My 11 yr old wont eat it from a box. The bread too, homemade. Fresh this morning. (Hey! Exercise! )

I went to my doc last week with my concerns. She shrugged them off told me to join weight watchers and buy a measuring cup. When I said I had one she told me to "learn how to measure" I left crying. Got a referral to a dietician and gastric doc this Thurs. But regular doc more or less don't care.
    as for eating before and getting 1200 in ...I went thru liver treatment in 09 and lost 40 pounds in under a month. Then late '10 into '11 it came back but I still couldn't eat. So no, I've HAD food intake issues. I never could or have eaten a lot. Feeling better into '12 I want to get healthy and as of new years I gave up junk. Pop went in Jan too. April I tore my ACL. May was surgery. Still in therapy. I have a cyst inside my spinal cord. But I do the best I can.
    Eating is a struggle. So please don't think I'm starving myself if I say I can't eat 1200 ...I force it and get sick...and. my GP doesn't care.
    and I don't eat canned biscuits or bought breads...all homemade :) not processed ..my kid would starve! (I even make homemade butter) yum!

Glad you are going to see a gastric doc! There are several conditions that can cause loss of appetite and issues with eating and it's important to rule them out, so I'm surprised your GP brushed them off. Sounds like it may be time to look for a new doc if he doesn't take your concerns seriously!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Stomach ulcers? I've had two at one time and would throw up at the drop of a hat, food in my stomach or not but food always made it worse. Thankfully, if you follow the treatment to the letter, they are easy to treat. good luck