Wiped out after aerobic workout

I workout on the ellipitcal for 30 minutes, 3-4x/week, with cool down, warm up and stretch after. I eat about 1 hr before workout, drink water during work out (maybe I need more water?) After my workout, I am wiped out the rest of the day, more headachey than anything and somewhat tired. Why? Any thoughts on this? I do drink a protein shake after the workout. I only feel this way after cardio workouts. Thank you all for your input!

Replies

• BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 241 Member
    Im curious to see what poeple have to say as well, I also feel extremely worn out and sick after cardio. I never want to do it, because of how sick it makes me feel.
  • akplanegirl
    akplanegirl Posts: 15 Member
    The past couple days I have been wiped out "during" my exercises and during the day too. After working out hard for a few weeks, seems like I should be getting stronger, not weaker; I find myself not being able to do as many reps or squats without feeling out of breath.
    Is that what it feels like for you? I wonder if I am not eating enough, and I wonder maybe that is the same for you?
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    I feel wiped out too but in a good way. Not usually headachy, but like my body is fighting between having energy and wanting to sleep. I know it was worse when I used to do the elliptical, but now I run and being outdoors seems to help.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    The past couple days I have been wiped out "during" my exercises and during the day too. After working out hard for a few weeks, seems like I should be getting stronger, not weaker; I find myself not being able to do as many reps or squats without feeling out of breath.
    Is that what it feels like for you? I wonder if I am not eating enough, and I wonder maybe that is the same for you?

THIS is what has been happening to me...my last two strength workouts have been torture to get through. I am so tired and feel like I'm pushing myself but my heart rate doesn't want to stay up. I added hand weights with my squats and that seemed to help my entire workout, but it was still a challenge. I heard it could be boredom....
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 110 Member
    WATER!!! How much water are you drinking? I drink about a gallon a day, and when I don't, I feel exactly as you described. In fact, this weekend, I only got about 48 ounces each day and both days I struggled feeling sluggish, achy, headache, and just overall bad. But, my normal water intake keeps me moving all day, and keeps me feeling focused. Just my thoughts. :happy:
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    I agree about the water regarding the headaches.

But if you are just feeling exhausted... do you ever take a rest day to let your body recover? Maybe you're running yourself down?
  • voitdancer
    voitdancer Posts: 61 Member
    You guys are quick! I do drink water throughout the day but I will focus on increasing the amount, I wonder if I don't drink enough before my workout. I'll get up have a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter or eggs and 2 cups of coffee, then start drinking water. I do sip on water throughout my workout but I don't drink enough I bet. I was very curious what anyone else experienced. My sleep is never fabulous either, I wake about 3:30 every night and never get back to a great sleep after that... I'm sorry that I am not the only one who experiences feeling wiped out after a workout. Thank you all so much and look forward to reading more!!
  • akplanegirl

THIS is what has been happening to me...my last two strength workouts have been torture to get through. I am so tired and feel like I'm pushing myself but my heart rate doesn't want to stay up. I added hand weights with my squats and that seemed to help my entire workout, but it was still a challenge. I heard it could be boredom....

Interesting thought for it to be about boredom. Definitely noticed when looking at my HRM tonight that I could not get it up even though I was grabbing my knees for a personal break from some of the exercises (it was just a Jillian Michaels DVD). I did read more on other posts and looked at the scooby website (can't remember the entire website and it said with what I was doing, I should be eating more). Maybe I will have some peanut butter tonight :)
  • akplanegirl
    I agree about the water regarding the headaches.

But if you are just feeling exhausted... do you ever take a rest day to let your body recover? Maybe you're running yourself down?

I don't get the headaches so I am not worried about that. I take one day off a week. My husband is away for a few months (military) so I am just trying to pass the time and what better way by working out and improving myself :)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Are you eating enough?
  • I believe that if you feel like you're going to throw up/faint/die after a workout, you're probably pushing yourself too hard. Slow it down a little, and build up your endurance and speed. It you make it miserable for yourself, you're more likely to stop.

I find that after the JM Ripped in 30 DVDs I feel like I will pass out and throw up, so I have stopped doing them. I get my burn elsewhere and I can still continue on with the rest of my day.

Good luck.
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member

When i started in march, i could barely make it through 30 minutes of kickboxing... Im up to an hour plus circuit training after... It does get better... I workout on an empty stomach and drink a protein shake for recovery... My energy level is way better than it was in the beginning... Keep up the good work...
  • Btmartin54
    Btmartin54 Posts: 69 Member
    I noticed when I ate a little more and stopped pushing myself so hard, I felt better after workouts. Now, I have more energy throughout the day and do not feel so worn out.