Freezable meals

AC417
AC417 Posts: 56 Member
I like to plan out my family's dinners for a week and I realized that often we have a lot of leftovers that tend to get tossed out. I'd love to plan out healthy dinners so that we can freeze leftovers in lunch containers to take to work. So far, I've thought of spaghetti, stir fry with rice and enchiladas. Any other thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    what about meatloaf and steamed veggies?
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    pasta doesn't freeze the greatest, but rice does, and so do flatbreads like tortillas

I do frozen...
    - soup
    - stew
    - chili (there are a million different kinds, I like sweet potato and black bean with cilantro and lime!)
    - burritos/quesidillas
    - pancakes (try something like ricotta pumpkin pancakes, or with apples or peaches in them)
    - mini-meatloafs (make a big batch, freeze them in ziplock bags and enjoy pre-made lunches for a month!)
  • meljofield
    meljofield Posts: 79
    I know it is getting warm outside but I love soup. I freeze in bags and take to work with a fresh salad or a sandwich. I also make a large bowl of salad on Sunday nights so that we have plenty for lunches or added to our dinners.
  • AC417
    I love meatloaf but the rest of my family doesn't.
  • AC417
    pasta doesn't freeze the greatest, but rice does, and so do flatbreads like tortillas

I do frozen...
    - soup
    - stew
    - chili (there are a million different kinds, I like sweet potato and black bean with cilantro and lime!)
    - burritos/quesidillas
    - pancakes (try something like ricotta pumpkin pancakes, or with apples or peaches in them)
    - mini-meatloafs (make a big batch, freeze them in ziplock bags and enjoy pre-made lunches for a month!)

Oh mini meatloaves are a great idea, since I'm the only one who eats meatloaf! :)
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Ooh, I love freezing food. Recently I found sausage on sale for like 1.20 a pound so I bought all of the packages (like 6) and made a ton of meatballs to freeze. I often make massive batches of muffins and freeze them (they have bran, flax, whole wheat flour, carrots, banana...). If produce is on sale I'll often buy up a bunch and prep it and freeze it, ie blueberries were really cheap a few weeks ago so I bought like 4 pounds and froze them all, and last week I found a big bag of jalapenos for .25 so I minced them all and froze them into cubes... stuff like that saves me money and makes prep faster.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Oh, and ditto on the soup in baggies thing. If you freeze them flat they stack nicely and thaw quickly. Borscht and lentil are my favorites :).
  • AC417
    Thanks for all the ideas, ladies! I can't wait to start freezing!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    I'm totally getting into the whole freezing thing too. I want perishables to last into next week. Especially since its all so expensive being organic.

:) Been freezing fruits and veggies so far. Going good I hope!