DO NOT EAT THAT DOUGHNUT!

Options
2»

Replies

• Norinella
    Norinella Posts: 31
    Options
    This such fantastic and thoughtful advice. I agree with this!
    My personal take on this situation:

Firstly, you recognise that this is not a logical decision, but an emotional one. So many of us tie our emotions to food, and whilst we are losing weight things are great - we make good decisions that fuel our progress and the success is self-perpetuating.

However, the downside of this is the bad day, the emotional struggles and the inevitable 'foods of regret' that so often follow. This then has the opposite effect, and one bad snack leads to a feeling of guilt, which leads to a bad meal, more guilt, bad day, and so on.

My view is that at points like this you have two emotionally healthy choices. One is to talk yourself out of the craving, don't substitute it with another slightly less-bad food - deny yourself. Tell yourself that although you are sad, you WILL NOT take it out on your body. Over time this will widen the association between emotions and food.

The second strategy is to let yourself have the cheat food, but be sure to log it, and already plan your next meal to get straight back on track - this will give you the small indulgence you feel you need, but stop the downward spiral.

These things may not apply to you, but like many of us are or have been, it sounds as though you are an emotional eater. Good luck and wise choices!
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My go-to solution for this: my favorite flavor of sugar free gum. Sweet, tasty, gets me chewing like I'm having a treat, but it isn't whatever junk food I'm craving.

I hope tomorrow is better for you.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    This such fantastic and thoughtful advice. I agree with this!
    My personal take on this situation:

Firstly, you recognise that this is not a logical decision, but an emotional one. So many of us tie our emotions to food, and whilst we are losing weight things are great - we make good decisions that fuel our progress and the success is self-perpetuating.

However, the downside of this is the bad day, the emotional struggles and the inevitable 'foods of regret' that so often follow. This then has the opposite effect, and one bad snack leads to a feeling of guilt, which leads to a bad meal, more guilt, bad day, and so on.

My view is that at points like this you have two emotionally healthy choices. One is to talk yourself out of the craving, don't substitute it with another slightly less-bad food - deny yourself. Tell yourself that although you are sad, you WILL NOT take it out on your body. Over time this will widen the association between emotions and food.

The second strategy is to let yourself have the cheat food, but be sure to log it, and already plan your next meal to get straight back on track - this will give you the small indulgence you feel you need, but stop the downward spiral.

These things may not apply to you, but like many of us are or have been, it sounds as though you are an emotional eater. Good luck and wise choices!

LOVE THIS THOUGHT PROCESS!!