Effexor / Venlafaxine

Options
Hey just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this drug...both good and bad.

Has anyone lost weight while on Effexor? I know ppl will say they've gained but frankly just wondering if anyone has seen it NOT affect their weightloss efforts.

Just started and I want some well-rounded reviews :)

Much thanks,
Char

Replies

• ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Effexor didn't work for me and when I stopped taking it cold turkey I had severe withdrawals. I will never take another antidepressant because of that experience. When I was really young Zoloft worked, but had adverse effects (suicidal thoughts) as an adult. I pretty much gave up just because I had an a-hole doctor who didn't care and they were the only ones who'd offer me service based on my income. It stinks. Good luck though :)
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've never taken that one. I did gain weight on other SSRIs, but I also gained weight from depression (becoming sedentary and inactive, overeating, etc.). Everyone reacts differently. For what it's worth, I'd say give it a month or so. If the side effects are bad or it just doesn't work DO NOT STOP COLD TURKEY. There are serious risks involved in stopping SSRIs once you've been on them a while. Talk to your doctor and let him/her know your concerns and request another drug if necessary. Good luck to you!
  • dmzazueta
    dmzazueta Posts: 36
    Options
    Hello. I took effexor a few years ago and do not remember it effecting my weight loss or gain. I went off of it before my son was born.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've never taken that one. I did gain weight on other SSRIs, but I also gained weight from depression (becoming sedentary and inactive, overeating, etc.). Everyone reacts differently. For what it's worth, I'd say give it a month or so. If the side effects are bad or it just doesn't work DO NOT STOP COLD TURKEY. There are serious risks involved in stopping SSRIs once you've been on them a while. Talk to your doctor and let him/her know your concerns and request another drug if necessary. Good luck to you!
    It's an SNRI actually :)
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Hello. I took effexor a few years ago and do not remember it effecting my weight loss or gain. I went off of it before my son was born.
    Thank you so much :)
    Good to know thats a possibility as well!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Effexor didn't do anything for me....but either did the 7 other drugs we tried. Give it a shot and see how you react to it.
  • amaryllis88
    amaryllis88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, (when I was 18), Effexor worked wonders, I think I gradually went up to 75 mg a day, and I think if I had stayed at that dosage, I would've been fine. I was seeing a doctor at the time who was drug happy, so he was happy to increase my dosage to 300 mg a day. I stayed on that dosage for 10 yrs, mainly because the doctors I saw didn't think anything of it, and they weren't trying to help me at all. I stayed depressed too, I'd have highs and lows throughout, but not anything effective.

Effexor is great if you're properly maintained on it, and feel as though it's helping you, but at low doses. I didn't really notice any kind of weight gain while I was on it, I do remember feeling more tired when I first started taking it. I didn't take care of myself, and that's where my weight gain came from really, and being really sedentary.

DON'T QUIT COLD TURKEY though, I would have the most horrible withdrawal symptoms ever, the most horrible headaches that seem to last forever, I would say comparable to horrible migraines at times. My last psychiatrist that I had successfully weaned me off of them, but at a very gradual pace, and even then I still had headaches.

Proceed with caution, and definitely stand up for yourself when it comes to your health, I wish I had done that more when I was younger.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I have been of Effexor for years & have not noticed a major weight gain due to it. I tried many other medications & it is the only one that works for me. It is a medication that I will have to be on for the rest of my life due to a TBI (traumatic brain injury) I suffered in '89 from a car accident.
  • yhwhsesther
    yhwhsesther Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the information i am to start effexor this week. good to know and watch for :)
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Effexor didn't do anything for me....but either did the 7 other drugs we tried. Give it a shot and see how you react to it.
    Yes it's my 5th or 6th.

Thank you.
  • Puckeysrun
    Puckeysrun Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been on effexor for anxiety on/off for four years. I love it, no side effects, and it hasn't affected my weight either way I don't think.
    You will hear horror stories about trying to get off it. I successfully weaned by taking 75mg one day/ 37.5 next day for a week, then 37.5 every day, then 37.5 every second day. It can be done!
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    I have been of Effexor for years & have not noticed a major weight gain due to it. I tried many other medications & it is the only one that works for me. It is a medication that I will have to be on for the rest of my life due to a TBI (traumatic brain injury) I suffered in '89 from a car accident.
    Good to know, thank you :)
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Guys thank you for the advice re eventually quitting
    I'm no stranger to getting off antidepressants so I know I have be weaned :)
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    In the beginning, (when I was 18), Effexor worked wonders, I think I gradually went up to 75 mg a day, and I think if I had stayed at that dosage, I would've been fine. I was seeing a doctor at the time who was drug happy, so he was happy to increase my dosage to 300 mg a day. I stayed on that dosage for 10 yrs, mainly because the doctors I saw didn't think anything of it, and they weren't trying to help me at all. I stayed depressed too, I'd have highs and lows throughout, but not anything effective.

Effexor is great if you're properly maintained on it, and feel as though it's helping you, but at low doses. I didn't really notice any kind of weight gain while I was on it, I do remember feeling more tired when I first started taking it. I didn't take care of myself, and that's where my weight gain came from really, and being really sedentary.

DON'T QUIT COLD TURKEY though, I would have the most horrible withdrawal symptoms ever, the most horrible headaches that seem to last forever, I would say comparable to horrible migraines at times. My last psychiatrist that I had successfully weaned me off of them, but at a very gradual pace, and even then I still had headaches.

Proceed with caution, and definitely stand up for yourself when it comes to your health, I wish I had done that more when I was younger.
    I believe I'm being started at 75mg. Thank you for the warning. I had a similar issue with Wellbutrin when the dosage was increased. That left me disgustingly anxious and incredibly angry at my doc!
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love Effexor. It's not affecting my weight loss. And it works for helping my chronic migraines and my depression, so win/win. I'm taking a very low dose and still finding it effective.
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Effexor didn't work for me and when I stopped taking it cold turkey I had severe withdrawals. I will never take another antidepressant because of that experience. When I was really young Zoloft worked, but had adverse effects (suicidal thoughts) as an adult. I pretty much gave up just because I had an a-hole doctor who didn't care and they were the only ones who'd offer me service based on my income. It stinks. Good luck though :)
    Fluoxetine had me ready to die at 20. Zoloft worked then quit was I was about 22. I've been searching for the right med since. Thank you for well wishes :)
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If it had any positive effects I would still be on it. Night sweats, sexual disfunction,mental confusion, weight gain, brain shocks if you forget to take it,:noway: . I weaned myself off of it and used cognitive behaviour therapy to deal with my depression and PTSD. :smile:
    What doesn't work for one might work for another though. I was on 150 mg a day for a couple of years.

Hope it works for you.
    :smile:
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    I have been on 150 mg of Effexor for 4-5 years and I haven't seen any effect on my weight loss efforts! Good luck!
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    sexual disfunction,mental confusion, weight gain, brain shocks if you forget to take it,:noway:

These concern me.
    I just found my sexdrive after 4+ yrs on meds, rather not lose it again :grumble:

Weight gain just isn't worth it and I have confusion from my fibro fog.

Looking like I'll be too terrified to try it...

Thank you for well wishes tho :)